Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping cart software with templates & recurring billing?

• 11-03-2015 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

Looking into trying a subscription based online store. Have a product that I want to offer on a subscription basis.

Customers will take out a sub at three months at a time with automatic recurring billing.

I need them to be able to add a number of items which are a free add on to their order thereby customising it.

I've tried zen cart, but the admin interface is horrible and changing templates seems like a complete nightmare.

Don't need enterprise level stuff.

Anything else out there that's easy to configure and not too expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Magento comes free with shared hosting from Blacknight, it's industry standard and pci compliant. although it's been a year or two since I've worked with it the template handling was very easy with a large community of devs and users.
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

OU812 wrote: »
    Looking into trying a subscription based online store. Have a product that I want to offer on a subscription basis.

Customers will take out a sub at three months at a time with automatic recurring billing.

I need them to be able to add a number of items which are a free add on to their order thereby customising it.

I've tried zen cart, but the admin interface is horrible and changing templates seems like a complete nightmare.

Hi,
    I've used ZenCart and OpenCart and in my opinion OpenCart seems more user friendly. The standard template is quite good / useable.

Bare in mind that with all e-carts you'll need your own images etc for logos and products. Whatever you use you'll need to do some housekeeping to set these up.

All of the ecarts available have a good supply of templates that can be purchased at very reasonable prices. If you go down this route be sure to match the template with the version of whatever cart you may end up using.

One great thing I've found with OpenCart is the ability to set up multiple stores using the one installation. I'm sure ZenCart and others have same but never used/found it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks guys. Should have mentioned, I already have a paypal account capable of taking subscription payments, so there should be no real issue in doing the subscriptions. That would be the only payment method I'd use for now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Membership site software might work for you too, worth investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Paypal do subscription billing

Purchase product as normal, payment processed as subscription billing instead of checkout?, need a paypal account tho'

• Advertisement

Actually do have a paypal business account that allows subscription, so looking at that option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Is this is a digital or physical product?

Yes Paypal does have a feature for recurring payments or subscriptions but do you want your customers managing their subscriptions in Paypal or via your website?

Physical product. The payment is going to be through paypal (takes too long & is too hard to get a merchant account).

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Physical product. The payment is going to be through paypal (takes too long & is too hard to get a merchant account).

Yes I know, but do you really want your customer's managing their subscription solely through the Paypal interface after they have made the initial purchase?

I think legally you have to give them a way of opting out anyway, so we were looking at billing quarterly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I came across a product I haven't seen before and thought of this thread:

http://cratejoy.com they describe it as an all in one subscription commerce platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Graham wrote: »
    I came across a product I haven't seen before and thought of this thread:

http://cratejoy.com they describe it as an all in one subscription commerce platform.

Looked like it could be good, but alas it works out as being very expensive;
    DO I PAY STRIPE FEES AND CRATEJOY FEES?

Yes, you will pay the Stripe transaction fees as well as the fees to use the Cratejoy platform. For any transaction, Stripe will collect its transaction fees as well as Cratejoy transaction fees and transaction charges. You will also be billed on the last day of the month for Cratejoy base fees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Cianos wrote: »
    Looked like it could be good, but alas it works out as being very expensive;

Depends on the fees and the costs of the alternatives.

No upfront costs is fairly compelling to test a market (I'm assuming there's no upfront costs).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 EIREX

Pretty sure Stripe now facilitate recurring billing too

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

I thoughtt Stripe was turning out to be cheaper than Paypal for a limited number of transactions?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod Edit: Not an entrepreneur and business related thread. Moving to relevant forum.

Advertisement