Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's in Germany or planning to come over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Here in Bingen now. Love the food and the beer. Thank god for IKEA!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Here in Bingen now. Love the food and the beer. Thank god for IKEA!

It's nice around there. Rüdesheim is right beside you, beautiful there, check out their coffee:) Weisbaden and Heidelberg are not far away. And in the Summer there are plenty of winefests on in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

moving to Munich soon enough,

got feckal German, but got a job sorted

been there before, some of you are painting it as conservative and I did find it 'orderly' which is fair enough but its surely alright for someone like myself early 20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

moving to Munich soon enough,

got feckal German, but got a job sorted

been there before, some of you are painting it as conservative and I did find it 'orderly' which is fair enough but its surely alright for someone like myself early 20s?

What do you work at Jimi? How did you get the job? Presumably speaking German wasn't a requirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

What do you work at Jimi? How did you get the job? Presumably speaking German wasn't a requirement?

This is working in a bar, I know someone who worked there before and only very basic words of German required if any at all really.

• Advertisement

This is working in a bar, I know someone who worked there before and only very basic words of German required if any at all really.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Should be alright, most Germans speak English anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

You'll love Munich, its a great city and I really enjoyed living there,

Just finishing up my degree back here in Ireland and heading over to start a job in Frankfurt in June, looking forward to it.

1huge1 wrote: »
    You'll love Munich, its a great city and I really enjoyed living there,

Just finishing up my degree back here in Ireland and heading over to start a job in Frankfurt in June, looking forward to it.

What area of work are you in 1huge1? I ask because I am contemplating Germany myself as a place to go. Do you speak German? How did you get the job sorted?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

It's official. The girlfriend got her Erasmus here for 10 months. So once she's finished, I'll be finished my degree also and I'll be moving to either Leipzig or Friedrichshafen/Konstanz (Depending on where she transfers back).

Will start looking for work in about 12 months. Hopefully there's demand for Network Administrators/Engineers with B1/2 German... I'll make another post here closer to the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Sykk wrote: »
    It's official. The girlfriend got her Erasmus here for 10 months. So once she's finished, I'll be finished my degree also and I'll be moving to either Leipzig or Friedrichshafen/Konstanz (Depending on where she transfers back).

Will start looking for work in about 12 months. Hopefully there's demand for Network Administrators/Engineers with B1/2 German... I'll make another post here closer to the time!
    you'll have no probs getting a job.

Theres a chronic lack of all types of IT staff in Germany.
    Nowadays they are a tad fussy that you can speak some german - at least on advertisments for jobs, but in the high tech/ engineering field an amount of experience and a willingness to learn the lingo would still get you a start.

you'll have no probs getting a job.

Theres a chronic lack of all types of IT staff in Germany.
    Nowadays they are a tad fussy that you can speak some german - at least on advertisments for jobs, but in the high tech/ engineering field an amount of experience and a willingness to learn the lingo would still get you a start.

That's great news. On other German forums people are very pessimistic about foreigners getting work there. I'll be doing the Goethe Institut from now until I move anyway with 2 of the intensive courses (3 days p/w) which should hopefully boost my chances :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Sykk wrote: »
    That's great news. On other German forums people are very pessimistic about foreigners getting work there. I'll be doing the Goethe Institut from now until I move anyway with 2 of the intensive courses (3 days p/w) which should hopefully boost my chances :)

Cheers!
    well, I should mention that germany is very very regionalised and that the situation for IT jobs in high tech centres like Munich or Stuttgart is different than in a finance town like Frankfurt or a depopulated dying town in east germany that has shag all going for it.

Maybe the pessimistic posters come from a place in the latter category(or similar)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

What area of work are you in 1huge1? I ask because I am contemplating Germany myself as a place to go. Do you speak German? How did you get the job sorted?
    Thanks.

Hey

I studied economics, finance and german at uni (just finishing up as I said), so I'm fairly fluent in german at this stage, plus at UL if you study a language, you have to spend a semester working abroad which I spent in Munich as well as erasmus in graz, austria.

I will be working as a recruiter in the banking sector.
    As far as germany goes, I don't know if frankfurt would be quite my number one choice but it is what it is.

But for the record having german was not entirely necessary for this role and that is also true with many other jobs in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

I'm living in Bad Kissingen in North Bayern. Moved last September. Only Irishman in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Structurally Sound Mentally Unstable

Hello All :)

I am moving to Munich on the 30th of this month, less than two weeks to go! I have no job lined up, but I hope to do a masters in Environmental Engineering in the LMU next semester.

I am moving in with my boyfriend so all I have to do is get my ass over there and start living! Hopefully I will pick up a job fairly quickly. I am still level A2 German, but my masters will be through English!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Guys, have been trying to sort myself out the last while, between going into self-employment, getting work here in Ireland and now I am thinking of going back to Germany. What are the best work websites at the moment for applying for jobs over there. I am fluent in English and German. I know of www.toytowngermany.com. Any others that anybody knows of? Cheers.

janullrich wrote: »
    Guys, have been trying to sort myself out the last while, between going into self-employment, getting work here in Ireland and now I am thinking of going back to Germany. What are the best work websites at the moment for applying for jobs over there. I am fluent in English and German. I know of www.toytowngermany.com. Any others that anybody knows of? Cheers.

Monster.de has a monolith of jobs on it. Also, if you upload your CV, employers sometimes get in contact with you if you fit a criteria for the position they're looking to fill.

Good luck!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

*bump*

Just moved to Hamburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Soldie wrote: »
    *bump*

Just moved to Hamburg.

Hi Soldie

I'm planning to move to Hamburg early next year. Will you be working there? How is your German?

Good luck

• Advertisement

Hi Soldie

I'm planning to move to Hamburg early next year. Will you be working there? How is your German?

Good luck

Hello there! :)

My German isn't great. I completed the A1 level in Dublin earlier this year. I'll be continuing with A2.1 here in the coming weeks.

I'm working here now and will be for the foreseeable future (I was fortunate enough to land a job that didn't require any German).

So far I really like it here - it's a great city.

Are you moving here for work?

Hi Soldie

Thanks for the reply.

I plan on moving early in the new year. I will be looking for a job there and will be learning German as well. You were luck to get a job where you don't need to speak German. Did you have that arranged before you arrived out there?

Also, what language school are you attending in Hamburg and how is it?

Hello there! :)

My German isn't great. I completed the A1 level in Dublin earlier this year. I'll be continuing with A2.1 here in the coming weeks.

I'm working here now and will be for the foreseeable future (I was fortunate enough to land a job that didn't require any German).

So far I really like it here - it's a great city.

Are you moving here for work?

As I said in my previous post I have not yet started at any language school. At this stage I might have to wait until the new year to enroll in a course.

I had a job arranged before I came out here, but I was planning to move regardless!

Hi,

Was it difficult to find a job before you arrived? Any tips? Also, I have been looking at language schools, Goethe is very expensive and it's hard to know about the others such as tandem which are a good bit cheaper. Think I might just attend a few for a days free trial and proceed from there.

As I said in my previous post I have not yet started at any language school. At this stage I might have to wait until the new year to enroll in a course.

I had a job arranged before I came out here, but I was planning to move regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Hi,

Was it difficult to find a job before you arrived? Any tips? Also, I have been looking at language schools, Goethe is very expensive and it's hard to know about the others such as tandem which are a good bit cheaper. Think I might just attend a few for a days free trial and proceed from there.

You need to look for a Volkshochschule(equivalent to our VEC's) in the city/town you're moving too, they provide Deutsch Kurse alot cheaper than others !

You need to look for a Volkshochschule(equivalent to our VEC's) in the city/town you're moving too, they provide Deutsch Kurse alot cheaper than others !

Thanks for that. I have heard of those. How are the classes? I suppose it depends a lot on the particular Volkshochschule. Are the class members motivated or can there sometimes be individuals that slow the progress of others?

Hi,

Was it difficult to find a job before you arrived? Any tips?

It wasn't too hard for me, but I'm probably a bad yard stick. I know for some people it has been more difficult. One thing I've found - and many people seem to agree with me on this - is that German employers scrutinise your initial application a lot more. I think in Ireland you are often afforded the opportunity to sell/present yourself in an interview, even if your application wasn't perfect. Not so in Germany - if your application doesn't cut the mustard then you won't get an opportunity to redeem yourself in an interview. It's a more impersonal system, but the silver lining is that if you do land an interview, you probably have a very good chance of getting the job.

Disclaimer: This is based on my (admittedly limited) experience and from speaking to other expatriates, who have agreed with me. Perhaps other people have had a radically different experience.
    Also, I have been looking at language schools, Goethe is very expensive and it's hard to know about the others such as tandem which are a good bit cheaper. Think I might just attend a few for a days free trial and proceed from there.

If money is an issue you can do an integration course at most language schools. Such courses are subsidised by the federal government, and cost only €1 per lesson (they're free if you're a recipient of social welfare). The downsides: you have to pay for 100 hours up front, and the often-awkward class times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Thanks for that. I have heard of those. How are the classes? I suppose it depends a lot on the particular Volkshochschule. Are the class members motivated or can there sometimes be individuals that slow the progress of others?

Class are grand, iv done two courses in Bremen and always good bunch of people so far !

I suppose the bigger city you go to it wont be as easy as more arabs non english speaking people i imagine hinders progress a bit !

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any recommendations as to where I can find jobs in Hamburg or any particular companies that might have English speaking jobs and would be worth targeting.

As regards the integration language lessons, do any of the main language schools such as tandem and Goethe offer these? Also, do you have any indication as to how the integration language lessons compare to other non integration language lessons.

Many thanks

It wasn't too hard for me, but I'm probably a bad yard stick. I know for some people it has been more difficult. One thing I've found - and many people seem to agree with me on this - is that German employers scrutinise your initial application a lot more. I think in Ireland you are often afforded the opportunity to sell/present yourself in an interview, even if your application wasn't perfect. Not so in Germany - if your application doesn't cut the mustard then you won't get an opportunity to redeem yourself in an interview. It's a more impersonal system, but the silver lining is that if you do land an interview, you probably have a very good chance of getting the job.

Disclaimer: This is based on my (admittedly limited) experience and from speaking to other expatriates, who have agreed with me. Perhaps other people have had a radically different experience.

If money is an issue you can do an integration course at most language schools. Such courses are subsidised by the federal government, and cost only €1 per lesson (they're free if you're a recipient of social welfare). The downsides: you have to pay for 100 hours up front, and the often-awkward class times.

• Advertisement

Class are grand, iv done two courses in Bremen and always good bunch of people so far !

I suppose the bigger city you go to it wont be as easy as more arabs non english speaking people i imagine hinders progress a bit !

Thanks for your reply. It's interesting that you're in bremen as I studied German there for about 2 months in a language school called Deutsche Angestellten-Akademie. How do you like Bremen and do you often visit Hamburg?

Advertisement