Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mrs Brown's Boys has just won a BAFTA!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I can see Duffy and Mooney getting orgasmic over this today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The BAFTA's are meaningless when it comes to recognising quality, just like the Grammy's and even worse the BRIT awards, thats why the fact that utter, unoriginal muck like O'Carroll's gets them is also meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Congrats to him. When you think about it he probably did make the best UK sit-com this year. But I think the win says more about the awful lack of good comedy on TV at the moment than how good Mrs Brown's Boys is. It will make you laugh once or twice but there are many many funnier shows. Just not any being made this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Really thought Rev would win but well done to Brendan O'Carroll

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

xflyer wrote: »
    [...]
    I've met him. He's highly intelligent and good at what he does and an awful lot of people enjoy his work. Since when is that a reason for the begrudgers and 'pseuds' to hammer him because his work doesn't fit in with their preconceived notions of comedy or entertainment?
    [...]

'Begrudgery', jesus; that tired argument. Why is this the go-to response for some people when any kind of fair criticism raises it's head: it's a pretty weak excuse to dismiss the notion that whilst a lot of people might enjoy his work, just as many don't. It doesn't make them begrudgers to dislike something & most of us are well capable of understanding the concept that opinions are as varied as the people expressing them. :)

And whilst I understand the history and heritage behind the world of variety performances in Britain - so I can see how something like O'Carrolls work might appeal - it's still a pretty poor example of that form of comedy in the first instance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

just out of interest - how many episode did you watch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just when i thought id seen it all, come this news:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

pixelburp wrote: »
    'Begrudgery', jesus; that tired argument. Why is this the go-to response for some people when any kind of fair criticism raises it's head: it's a pretty weak excuse to dismiss the notion that whilst a lot of people might enjoy his work, just as many don't. It doesn't make them begrudgers to dislike something & most of us are well capable of understanding the concept that opinions are as varied as the people expressing them. :)
    I dislike his work for the most part. It isn't my favourite form of comedy and I won't be buying the DVD boxed set. Am I a begrudger? Clearly not.

Fair criticism is one thing, although to my mind comedy criticism is surely somewhat related to an oxymoron. You either find it funny or you don't. Fair criticism doesn't come into it. It's comedy, low brow comedy not bloody Shakespeare.

Ok it's official, you don't like his form of comedy, duly noted. You're not a begrudger OK?

But begrudgery is practially the national sport in this country. There are plenty of people who don't like what he does and do resent his success. That is undeniable. Being successful in this country is still something of a mortal sin unless you're a corrupt politican.

And yes I watched several episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I hate the show tbh and don't particularly like O Carrolls' type of comedy, hence I avoid him and his shows.
    That being said I know many that love it, and fair play to him for tapping into popular tv and making a buck out of it. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

dont find it funny personally but a lot of people do. well done to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mrs Brown's boys was never to my taste, although I admire what Brendan O'Carroll has done. Whether you like it or not he's successful at what he does. So eff the begrudgers, as he succinctly put it: 'Mrs Brown put my kids through college.

I've met him. He's highly intelligent and good at what he does and an awful lot of people enjoy his work. Since when is that a reason for the begrudgers and 'pseuds' to hammer him because his work doesn't fit in with their preconceived notions of comedy or entertainment?

Now I said Mrs Brown's boys wasn't to my taste. But then I watched an episode expecting it to be the train wreck that is Killinascully or Sgt Mattie:mad:.

But O'Carroll is better than Pat Shortt. There are some genuinely hilarious moments. I particularly like when he clearly goes off script to the obvious discomfort of the other actors.

So well done O'Carroll.
    Killinascully and Sgt Mattie are brilliant, you're just a begrudger. See how this works? Criticism = begrudgers.
    The first scene I remember seeing in MBB's was a dog barking outside when Mrs Brown walks into the room, she opens the back door and shouts "Fúck off". The audience were in stitches laughing, I thought it was something a 3 year old would come up with.
    If that makes me a begrudger in some peoples book, so be it, but a few people need to look up the meaning of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dub Ste wrote: »
    You may not like him or his show,but it was worth him winning,just to see the look on the face of that pile of ****e ,Jack-I'm as funny as a kick the bollocks-Whitehouse.

So that alone,fair play Brendan:D

Whitehall did have a grouchy auld sourpuss on him alright!
    (Fresh Meat was good though)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know it's courses for horses, but seriously, who the **** finds this programme funny. I find it embarrassingly unfunny. Desperate!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dislike his work for the most part. It isn't my favourite form of comedy and I won't be buying the DVD boxed set. Am I a begrudger? Clearly not.

Fair criticism is one thing, although to my mind comedy criticism is surely somewhat related to an oxymoron. You either find it funny or you don't. Fair criticism doesn't come into it. It's comedy, low brow comedy not bloody Shakespeare.

You know Shakespeare wrote comedies, yeah? :D Pretty farcical stuff too iirc, by contemporary standards (And back then female parts were played by men in drag - it's kinda where the whole routine came from really so even that element has its Shakespearean roots)

Comedy is one of the highest forms of writing imo, and certainly one of the hardest forms of acting; it shouldn't be exempt from the same standards we expect from our drama and other performing arts. It may often be flippant and silly, but it's still legitimate in its own right. No doubt that qualifies me as being one of these 'pseuds' people round these parts have spat, but it can't be said I don't say what I think :)
    just out of interest - how many episode did you watch?

Why? I haven't counted; probably 3/4 in total, with channel-hopping, trailers at various points making up the rest of my experience. I gave it a chance, hated it, gave it another couple of goes out of morbid curiosity when I had heard how popular it had become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

lizt wrote: »
    So you do realise you're calling 888000 people in Ireland and 6.6 million people in the UK idiots purely because they watch and enjoy a show?

Yes, yes, I realise that. They watch and enjoy a show that is clearly aimed towards idiots - or at the very least, people whose sense of humour stopped developing when they were still in primary school. If someone finds a man in a dress continually falling over and shouting "fuck" uproariously funny, I think the assumption that they're an idiot is quite a safe one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

RayM wrote: »
    Yes, yes, I realise that. They watch and enjoy a show that is clearly aimed towards idiots - or at the very least, people whose sense of humour stopped developing when they were still in primary school. If someone finds a man in a dress continually falling over and shouting "fuck" uproariously funny, I think the assumption that they're an idiot is quite a safe one.

Well that says it all really.

I'd better go tell my dad, a very well educated and intelligent man, that he's an idiot because he watches a tv show. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

walshb wrote: »
    I know it's courses for horses, but seriously, who the **** finds this programme funny. I find it embarrassingly unfunny. Desperate!

At a guess I'd say people who also read tabloid newspapers and watch X Factor/Big Brother type of stuff. I'm off to watch Peep Show now, original, edgey, disgusting and fu*kin hilarious ORIGINAL comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

People who type in bold and/or caps are nearly always wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

lizt wrote: »
    Well that says it all really.

I'd better go tell my dad, a very well educated and intelligent man, that he's an idiot because he watches a tv show. Wish me luck!

Good luck with that. Just tell him the bad man on the internet told you to say it.

I wouldn't have an issue with Mrs Brown's Boys if it was hidden away in the schedules on BBC NI, like Give My Head Peace or (better still) if it was still just touring grim northern towns in the UK. My main issue lies with the fact that something so blatantly unfunny and poorly performed has become so inexplicably successful, and is now beating vastly superior sitcoms in prestigious award ceremonies.

At a guess I'd say people who also read tabloid newspapers and watch X Factor/Big Brother type of stuff. I'm off to watch Peep Show now, original, edgey, disgusting and fu*kin hilarious ORIGINAL comedy.
    Ahhhh, so that's what the other posters meant when they spoke of 'pseuds' :rolleyes: Seriously, drop the wannabe-snob routine. And in any case, Peep Show isn't Mitchell/Webb's best work.

And here's me trying to class up the thread with talk about vaudeville and Shakespearean comedies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

And, most importantly old bean, written by Oxbridge graduates. Proper order. The working class Paddy just does not understand comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Please don't mention Peep Show in a Mrs Browns Boys thread. It's wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

And, most importantly old bean, written by Oxbridge graduates. Proper order. The working class Paddy just does not understand comedy.
    Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain went to Manchester University, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You are far too cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Don't find it funny at all but happy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The show makes a lot of people laugh. Not a fan of it myself, but I don't see the point in being snobby about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Good luck with that. Just tell him the bad man on the internet told you to say it.

I wouldn't have an issue with Mrs Brown's Boys if it was hidden away in the schedules on BBC NI, like Give My Head Peace or (better still) if it was still just touring grim northern towns in the UK. My main issue lies with the fact that something so blatantly unfunny and poorly performed has become so inexplicably successful, and is now beating vastly superior sitcoms in prestigious award ceremonies.

Your attitude is unbelievable! Just because YOU don't like something it should be hidden away? If you don't like a programme, vote with your viewership and DON'T WATCH IT. It's not like it's simultaneously broadcast over all channels, you know you can avoid it by, oh I don't know, changing the channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BeautyFromPain

very well deserved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Killinascully and Sgt Mattie are brilliant, you're just a begrudger. See how this works? Criticism = begrudgers.
    The first scene I remember seeing in MBB's was a dog barking outside when Mrs Brown walks into the room, she opens the back door and shouts "Fúck off". The audience were in stitches laughing, I thought it was something a 3 year old would come up with.
    If that makes me a begrudger in some peoples book, so be it, but a few people need to look up the meaning of the word.
    If you took the trouble to read what I said you might find you don't qualify in this case as a begrudger. No need for a dictionary. You don't like the comedy but presumably you don't begrudge the man his success, or do you?

pixelburp wrote: »
    You know Shakespeare wrote comedies, yeah? :D Pretty farcical stuff too iirc, by contemporary standards (And back then female parts were played by men in drag - it's kinda where the whole routine came from really so even that element has its Shakespearean roots) .
    No really, gosh I never knew that. Clearly my entire argument is negated by this astonishing revelation. To think I got through life until now without stumbling over this fact. Perforce the shame!

You make my point for me though, O'Carroll is no Shakespeare but has something in common with him. He catered to his audience.
    Comedy is one of the highest forms of writing imo, and certainly one of the hardest forms of acting; it shouldn't be exempt from the same standards we expect from our drama and other performing arts. It may often be flippant and silly, but it's still legitimate in its own right. No doubt that qualifies me as being one of these 'pseuds' people round these parts have spat, but it can't be said I don't say what I think :)
    No, I'm afraid comedy has but one stipulation. It must be funny to someone, above all the target audience. In that O'Carroll succeeds admirably.

I do find it rather odd to be somehow defending Mrs Brown's Boys when I don't particularly like it. Funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The important thing to realise here is that us haters of MBB are all men and women of genuine genius, and much smarter than the hoi polloi. Also MBB is set in the north side and I for one would not be found dead north of the Liffey. So, obviously can't watch.

Advertisement