Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Very little fencing at the Tuam end, but I expect any early work will be at the other end, Tuam end has some swamp so expect rock to be brought from Athenry, Gort end to Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

f2 wrote: »
    Very little fencing at the Tuam end, but I expect any early work will be at the other end, Tuam end has some swamp so expect rock to be brought from Athenry, Gort end to Tuam

Too far to haul rock from gort to tuam.

GDSGR8 wrote: »

Possibly Gort but certainly not Athenry, also it was stated at the oral hearing that there was enough rock towards the southern end to meet the requirements of the northern sections.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So have any actual earthworks started on this scheme yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

GDSGR8 wrote: »

They don't have to, there's a quarry near Rathmorrisey that has got a 5 year license to operate an ashphalt plant (over a year and a half ago).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81291449&postcount=1162

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

Has anyone seen or heard of work starting on the motorway yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

October I was told recently

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Construction to start in new year, detailed design just commencing

Is the detailed design being done in this country, I heard a rumour it was been done abroad, would it be possible!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Unlikely, companies are anxious to start work right after contract sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

spacetweek wrote: »
    Unlikely, companies are anxious to start work right after contract sign.

I was of the understanding that construction had to start within a month of the contracts been signed. This was the case with other major infrastructure projects

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I was of the understanding that construction had to start within a month of the contracts been signed. This was the case with other major infrastructure projects
    It's been speculated on elsewhere in the thread but the construction company are likely preparing stuff already, but not necessarily in places visible from existing roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Not in the case of a design/build or PPP as is the case here. The contractor has to complete the detailed design and have it approved by the employer. Takes at least 4 months, probably more for a contract this size. The designers are a mixture of irish and british companies so some of the design work is likely being done in the UK.

Design work being done is Ireland UK and Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Source ? What element of the design in being done abroad ? Both of the design teams have substantial offices and employees in Ireland so I would not expect them to carry out such work abroad.

Annfield, you talk like an insider but we're gonna need to know where you're getting your info from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Surveying work on the motorway in Gort today, good few engineers walking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

IMO they will be starting the cuttings and earth moving prior to requiring the detailed design for the structures. If the Engineers are on the ground, then the earthmoving will soon be starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

Bridge structures start first , it wont be till later on earth works will start and it will be next summer before the main rock cuts and associated work will be done
    The earth work is the quickest part to be done , its the desgsign that holds all these jobs up , the moterway way jobs I have worked on usually end up with earthworks being done and waiting for the designers to complete another section

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

http://claregalway.info/nuacht/news/2014/06/claregalway-bypass-finally-scrapped/
    It was understood by local residents that once the Gort–Tuam motorway got the go-ahead, that funding would be provided for the Claregalway inner relief road.
    But now Deputy Noel Grealish has been informed by the Department of Transport that there will be no funding for the project this year. The project was ready to go to the compulsory purchase of land stage.
    There is no commitment from Minister Leo Varadkar that any funding for the much needed bypass will be provided in the future.

Whilst it will have an impact I cannot see this Motorway giving the much needed relief to Claregalway that some think it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

is there going to be a toll on this new motorway i am sure its covered on this tread but am too lazy to read all 138 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

popa smurf wrote: »
    is there going to be a toll on this new motorway

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

Anything happening on the ground with this project??

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

spacetweek wrote: »
    Annfield, you talk like an insider but we're gonna need to know where you're getting your info from.
    You're not gonna need to know anything. If the person is an insider, they're hardly going to want to reveal who they are. If their assertions are found to be correct, you'll know what they can be trusted.

No havent seen any action on the Tuam end

You wont see any action until next year, and by that I mean serious earthworks, structures etc

The three Contractors are unlikely to start in January /February if the weather is poor, more likely March

Otherwise there will be a bit of site set up, maybe a bit of fencing

there is some site investigation to get done, but dont get too excited when you see a few rigs dotted around

Does Roadbridge civil have the plant and machinery needed for the construction of this road available in this county at the moment or is there any company left in ireland to faciltate the earthworks and structures on this road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Does Roadbridge civil have the plant and machinery needed for the construction of this road available in this county at the moment or is there any company left in ireland to faciltate the earthworks and structures on this road
    Willis bros

red bull wrote: »
    Willis bros

They have a fair fleet but not a hope with 57km of moterway to be built and they seem to have never taken on more than a 20km stretch that I know of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You wont see any action until next year, and by that I mean serious earthworks, structures etc

The three Contractors are unlikely to start in January /February if the weather is poor, more likely March

Otherwise there will be a bit of site set up, maybe a bit of fencing

there is some site investigation to get done, but dont get too excited when you see a few rigs dotted around
    There may be trees/ditches cut down in the winter, its harder to do in the nesting season

Advertisement