Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Like Being Single?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭cson

krudler wrote: »
    I like the company, the getting to know each other bit, the giddy meeting someone new part, but I hate the stupid sh1t you wind up fighting about, the silent treatment, all the crap that goes along with relationships, right now I'm not in the place to find someone, nor am I looking, yet strangely women like this, the past few times I've gone out with a "I'm not bothered" attitude I've gotten chatted up, its mental! :confused:

You're going out just for the night out without any inclination toward meeting someone ergo you're probably relaxed and confident in yourself. That's an attractive vibe to give off to the Laydeez hence the attention. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

cena wrote: »
    It would be nice to have some one to talk to. Etc. I feel lonely at times. Any single girls out there p.m me.:) Lol. Would prefer a lovely American women.

How very specific! :confused::P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

How very specific! :confused::P

Well I've always said I would like to go out or marry an American lady.
    I remember going to the head masters office and say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

beks101 wrote: »
    [

Some day, maybe someone will inspire that leap of commitment in me, but this idea that I'm half the person I could be or that there's some big void in my life...perplexing.

Just because people would like to be in a relationship and share their life with someone doesn't mean they think they're half the person they could be... (rarr)

I don't like this undercurrent in a way that admitting you'd like someone in your life is sort of weak. and no I don't believe its the magic solution for happiness. I'm choosy about who I let in. That's why I'm single. and would prefer to remain so than be in an unsatisfying relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

fits wrote: »
    Just because people would like to be in a relationship and share their life with someone doesn't mean they think they're half the person they could be... (rarr)

I don't like this undercurrent in a way that admitting you'd like someone in your life is sort of weak. and no I don't believe its the magic solution for happiness. I'm choosy about who I let in. That's why I'm single. and would prefer to remain so than be in an unsatisfying relationship.

I never said someone was 'weak' for wanting a relationship, I'd love one myself and would have the same attitude as you - not just anyone will do.

I'm speaking more to the attitude that I've encountered again and again that being single is some sort of deficiency and the many people I've met who physically can't not be in a relationship. I've lots of (mostly female) friends who have been single maybe a few weeks between relationships since they were teenagers, the same girls whose first question to me will be 'how's the love life', 'any boys' etc and will actively try to set me up with their boyfriends' single friends, which is beyond insulting.

I don't have that same motivation to define myself or my life through my relationship status so it baffles me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

The last time I was single , I was very happy with it, having just got out of an awful relationship. I'd count it as one of the best times of my life. Now, I'm very happy in a relationship, but as others have said, it's because the person is right for me rather than feeling like I have to be with someone to be happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm happy single but it would be nice to be able to approach women and chat them up and feel confident and not feel like a dopey eejit . Dam you shyness *shakes fist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

This thread has done weird things to me, I'm now looking at people and thinking about them in a ltr light. Help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I only like women between the age of 27 and 34½, in middle management, weigh between 9½ and 11 stone, natural blonde hair, over 5ft10 but below 6ft, full set of good teeth, well proportioned calf muscles, an IQ over average but not higher than mine (narrow window).

Can't understand why I'm single. :confused:

Na, but seriously.... Male opinion alert.

In my view a strengthening aspect of a good relationship is the room to be 'single' in it. Now I'm not talking about going out and having sex with strange women.

What I mean is that if you don't have room for your own thoughts, a little time alone, or with friends outside of the relationship then you're asking for trouble.

Haven't had a relationship of any substance for a couple of years now and I'm usually okay with it but do get the odd time when I think 'this moment would be nice to share with someone special'.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Fea.

Do I like being single? wow... I don't know, I honestly haven't decided yet. I'm only single about 18 months now after a long marriage and I go through so many different emotions I'm not sure what I am :)

Some days are desperately lonely, most definitely. Some days are great and I feel like a new woman and able for anything. Other days I look in the mirror and think "well hun, you had your day, thats it for you now" and end up severely depressed thinking there will never be any guy on this planet that would even look at me sideways let alone come near me lol

I'm not looking though, I don't feel ready to even think that way, so maybe I'm just still settling into the single life. Anyone have any ideas on how long this will take??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JoJo_zuikutis

im in a relationship and im very happy :D much prefer being in a relationship than being single tbh.

if your in a right relationship then it shouldnt feel by any means restricting. and if someone is unhappy in their relationship there's no point being in that relationship if they're unhappy, even if they're scared of being single. best to more on and find one which makes them happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I love it, tbh. Love my own space, my own bed, getting up/going to bed when you want, FULL control of the remote, no empty milk cartons in the fridge ;)

The only times I feel like I am missing out is maybe on those cold nights when curling up on the couch with a guy watching a dvd is just lovely, or when you get a wedding invite for 'twirlagig & friend' etc.... But still, I'm happy enough as I am, thank god :)

A bit off thread, but I wonder how many people have 'friends with benefits' :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

eternal wrote: »
    I need some F.U.N, sick of this crap. Where are all the hunks.

That is an awesome statement. I'm feeling the same but God, that made me laugh! Thanks a million

pips

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

i love being single!
    twirlagig wrote: »
    A bit off thread, but I wonder how many people have 'friends with benefits' :confused:
    a few of my friends have this on the go.. jealous! I want one! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭atila

I hope this isn't overly provacative but has anyone considered what they can give rather what they can get.

wivy wrote: »

a few of my friends have this on the go.. jealous! I want one! :pac:

this might sound like a silly question, but how EXACTLY would one go about obtaining ones own 'friend' with said 'benefits'? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Fea. wrote: »
    this might sound like a silly question, but how EXACTLY would one go about obtaining ones own 'friend' with said 'benefits'? :D

Sounds like someone with a mission! :P

Neadine wrote: »
    Sounds like someone with a mission! :P

I'm only asking for a friend ;) honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

haha well in some of my friends cases its guys they started goin on dates with and told them they werent really lookin for a LTR.... and shall we say it blossomed from there!

I'm only asking for a friend ;) honest :D

Of course... I believe ya :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

*taking notes here* my friend said to say thanks !

*taking notes here* my friend said to say thanks !

Maybe you could compile a little information pack!!!

Way ahead of you here. I'm thinking I might have to put some of these theories to the test before I report back to my friend.

Here's what I have so far...

1. tell prospective subject that LTR is not being catered for at this time and assume blossoming position.

I'll add other suggestions and theories to the list before I report my findings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    exactly, :)

two things i was never into as a child, baby born and princess bride barbie :pac:
    i prefered my barbies with the great apartment and tons of outfits, or my movie character models.

i mean id never rule anything like that out, but so far im still just meh about all that stuff

That sounds so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It never bothered me being single, I'm very independent, I've never had the desire that I had to be in a relationship. Until, after being single for four years after my marriage break up I met a wonderful guy, but he ended things after a few months. So I'm really not enjoying the single life anymore.

Way ahead of you here. I'm thinking I might have to put some of these theories to the test before I report back to my friend.

Here's what I have so far...

1. tell prospective subject that LTR is not being catered for at this time and assume blossoming position.

I'll add other suggestions and theories to the list before I report my findings :D

You know, I happen to have a 'friend' who would really like a copy of your completed work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Fairly easily in fairness, the market is pretty big for them! You'll find if you introduce the sexual element pretty early on with a guy it follows suit in a pretty straight forward fashion.

Actually the one thing I don't enjoy about being single is the sexual frustration. I'm well-passed the fcuk buddy stage, as fun as they are I find them emotionally confusing and ultimately damaging. And there's only so long I can go without sex, so every so often I find myself tearing up beer mats and pulling my hair out in frustration! Or jumping into bed with someone I find vaguely attractive, which isn't all that healthy for me either. But I'm not willing to get into a relationship solely just for sex, I need a lot more than that to make the sacrifices that are involved so hey, I guess you just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

so they are your beer mats i sweep up at closing hour!!!:cool:

I have had a 'friends with benefits' situation. But I'm not sure it happened in a way that these things usually do - is there a right and wrong way to achieve a friend with benefits? :rolleyes:
    Anyway, at one point we had been in a relationship, which ended for a whole host of reasons, anyway, we moved on from that to the point where we were good friends, he was someone I could talk to about anything and was always really supportive. Anyway, it went from being relationship, to friendship, to 'benefriends' (I like that word, it's MINE!) Anyway, it was something that would happen from time to time and in the interim it was just friends, but then at some point he wanted to try again.... I didn't... PROBLEM!

• Advertisement

so they are your beer mats i sweep up at closing hour!!!:cool:

Now you know what shredded beer mats symbolise!
    I had a tendency to peel the ad picture thing off beer mats and just leaving the plain card underneath, my friends used to tell me it was a sign of sexual frustration... maybe they were right.

Advertisement