Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC Desire HD - October Launch

• 15-07-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭

Finally a European version of the HTC Evo.

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-desire-hd-gets-rumored-specs-ahead-of-q4-debut-1594045/
    Rumored specifications for the so-called HTC Desire HD, formerly tipped as the HTC Ace, have emerged, with one UK retailer suggesting the handset will arrive in October 2010. According to SuperEtrader, the Desire HD will have a 4.3-inch WVGA touchscreen, 1GHz Snapdragon processor and 8-megapixel camera; in other words, it’s a European version (and presumably 3G-only) of the HTC EVO 4G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

orly?

I think thats too early for gingerbread tho - I think I will wait till early 2011 to get a new phone I will stick to my g1 till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I think it comes with 2.2.

3.03 would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

im currently due an upgrade on meteor and was going to get the desire would i be better waiting for this

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Not that tempting, to be honest. It's basically just a desire with a big screen. Not a bad thing, but I already have a Desire so this wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

they need to stop throwing 1GHz qualcomms in every phone.
    Craigels wrote: »
    im currently due an upgrade on meteor and was going to get the desire would i be better waiting for this

If you're willing to wait until October anyway I'd say hang on and see what the competition is like. The Desire is great but there are better ones coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

there are numerous worse things they could do than to ''throw in'' 1ghz processors. i wish my g1 had half that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

djgaillimh wrote: »
    they need to stop throwing 1GHz qualcomms in every phone.
    A faster processor is attractive but it's not great to fall into the numbers game -- 1GHz snapdragon is a pretty powerful handheld! It's worthwhile and maybe better to get other components upgraded too.

Battery, camera (or 2), form factor, screen, software (though you don't need a new phone for that)... and maybe something new they can dream up... plenty of reasons a same-processor phone might be worth a purchase.

(that said... won't complain if it's like 1.5GHz or something :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I'd rather a better GPU and a higher res screen than a CPU upgrade. The Snapdragon's Adreno graphics chip is pretty feeble compared to the new PowerVR stuff. It's less powerful than the GPU of the iPhone 3GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'll wait till March/April '11 before upgrading. That's when we'll see proper upgrades.

I'm expecting a 1.5GHz dual core Snapdragon with a Tegra GPU. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Craigels wrote: »

You will be waiting a long time! Rumoured release in UK=October, which may well be closer to Xmas, then you have to wait probably another 2-3 months for Meteor to stock it(assuming they will). I'd say if you want to buy it from Meteor(or any other Irish network) you would be talking around March next year.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    You will be waiting a long time! Rumoured release in UK=October, which may well be closer to Xmas, then you have to wait probably another 2-3 months for Meteor to stock it(assuming they will). I'd say if you want to buy it from Meteor(or any other Irish network) you would be talking around March next year.

In fairness, Meteor were quick to release thye Desire & Legend. Lets hope they continue to update their Android phones as they are released.

I'm gonna hold off till 3.0 is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I'm expecting a 1.5GHz dual core Snapdragon with a Tegra GPU. :p

Hopefully you'll get an hour or 2 between charges :D

The best improvement would be in battery life. Over the last 5yrs everything else in phones has improved to the detriment of their battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

actually the 3rd gen qualcomm processors should be not as harsh on the battery...

i got the hd2 and 1ghz processor and i got 3 days out of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Goodshape wrote: »
    A faster processor is attractive but it's not great to fall into the numbers game -- 1GHz snapdragon is a pretty powerful handheld! It's worthwhile and maybe better to get other components upgraded too.

To be fair, the Snapdragon is probably the weakest of the chips in the current gen of 1Ghz phones, and from what I've seen the GPU lags behind the one on the A4 and Hummingbird.

If this is going to be their new flagship, you'd expect something better than an 18-month old CPU that's already been bettered by the competition.

The 1.3 and 1.5GHz qualcomm chips will be launching around the same time as this phone, and no doubt they'll be appearing in handsets shortly afterwards... I think the smart move would be to sit this one out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

This is getting ridiculous. Every two weeks there is a new phone on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

its not...ppl can have a variety of phones to chose from...though unfortunatelly the phones dont hold value thanks to that...though i do agree and sit out till a htc phone with 1.3/1.5 ghz processor comes out...personally i hope their gonna use a completely diff design cause the desire now is ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    In fairness, Meteor were quick to release thye Desire & Legend. Lets hope they continue to update their Android phones as they are released.

I'm gonna hold off till 3.0 is released.

Rumour on why the HTC Desire current incarnation is permanently out of stock is because this model is going to replace it outright before any restock is considered - Seems like they'd be anxious to avoid delay in that case given that the Desire is so popular - What ye think?

Raiser wrote: »
    Rumour on why the HTC Desire current incarnation is permanently out of stock is because this model is going to replace it outright before any restock is considered - Seems like they'd be anxious to avoid delay in that case given that the Desire is so popular - What ye think?

No.

Its out of stock because Samsung produce the Amold screens and have withheld stock in order to satisfy their own product lineup. HTC are now sourcing screens from Sony, but there are time constraints with ramping up production to meet levels of demand.

Meteor, being a small operator don't have huge clout/buying power so can't get as much access to the limited stock available.

Advertisement