Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance - No claims discount question

Options
  • 22-08-2011 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I got a renewal letter from Aviva a couple of weeks ago and they're offering me €1600 fully comp. This is because I had a slight bump last year and the guy claimed for everything he could think of and got over €10k. The less said about that the better..

This is my first year with Aviva so obviously I lose my no claims discount. However, I was with Quinn for 2 years before this and I had made no claims at all, giving me 2 years no claims discount. When I'm shopping around now, can I put down that I have 2 years no claims discount or what's the story there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

If you haven't any form of stepback protection, you lose it all, as far as I'm aware. No claims discount is consecutive years, not random years without claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cormac.c

Well that's not the reply I was hoping for. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

These companies can and do check details - not when you buy the policy of course as they want to bank your cash. But if you ever make a claim you are going to right up s--- creek!

Details on here you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

cormac.c wrote: »
    I got a renewal letter from Aviva a couple of weeks ago and they're offering me €1600 fully comp. This is because I had a slight bump last year and the guy claimed for everything he could think of and got over €10k. The less said about that the better..

This is my first year with Aviva so obviously I lose my no claims discount. However, I was with Quinn for 2 years before this and I had made no claims at all, giving me 2 years no claims discount. When I'm shopping around now, can I put down that I have 2 years no claims discount or what's the story there?

Come on man, if I understand that correctly you reckon a person can claim as often as they like without effecting a policy as the applicant is only going to tell the insurance company about the years they didnt crash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

ncb protection is only for your current company.

if you move companies the following year after you had a claim you have 0 years ncb

paddy145 wrote: »
    Come on man, if I understand that correctly you reckon a person can claim as often as they like without effecting a policy as the applicant is only going to tell the insurance company about the years they didnt crash?

I was just asking man. I wasn't sure how it actually worked. Now I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

I was just asking man. I wasn't sure how it actually worked. Now I know.

Fair enough, I didnt mean to come across as strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Any new company you go to will ask for proof of no claims so no you can't use the 2 previous years. Have you tried looking around if you get a better quote go back to your company and ask if they can beat or match it, a lot of the time they can at least match it.

piperh wrote: »
    Any new company you go to will ask for proof of no claims so no you can't use the 2 previous years. Have you tried looking around if you get a better quote go back to your company and ask if they can beat or match it, a lot of the time they can at least match it.

Yeah I'm in the process of doing that. I'm ringing companies now as most places won't quote for me online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's called Insurance Link and the data protection commissioner has his nickers in a twist over its use!

You've lost your ncb though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Yeah I'm in the process of doing that. I'm ringing companies now as most places won't quote for me online.

you are wasting your time you cant move from aviva and they know that, so they will charge you the original quote

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

dharn wrote: »

you are wasting your time you cant move from aviva and they know that, so they will charge you the original quote
    Course he can. I can think of 2 insurers who'd accept him pending certain circs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

Trampas wrote: »

if you move companies the following year after you had a claim you have 0 years ncb
    not my experience. my ncb followed me to different companies. i did nit have any claims against me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Trampas wrote:

MapForJ wrote: »
    not my experience. my ncb followed me to different companies. i did nit have any claims against me

Different circumstances

Advertisement