Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SRFC wrote: »
    Quick question,Im looking at a car in a garage so done a check on the tax website said there hasnt been a change in ownership in 3 months yet on the ad its for sale from the garage 3 weeks the owner of the garage says he drives it home at night so am I right to presume its his car an he's trying to flog it or have I got it wrong?
    A motor dealer (don't know if there is a legal definition of same) does not appear on the registration cert. The car is their 'stock in trade'. So either they took it as a trade-in, or else they are selling it on behalf of the owner.

Afaik, there is a separate 'transfer of ownership' form that the seller is supposed to have signed by the dealer on trade-in and then forward to Shannon. This ensures that the seller (now the previous owner) is not responsible for any future use of the car (e.g. parking / speeding / toll / tax / Road Traffic Act offences etc. ).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Esel wrote: »
    A motor dealer (don't know if there is a legal definition of same) does not appear on the registration cert. The car is their 'stock in trade'. So either they took it as a trade-in, or else they are selling it on behalf of the owner.

Afaik, there is a separate 'transfer of ownership' form that the seller is supposed to have signed by the dealer on trade-in and then forward to Shannon. This ensures that the seller (now the previous owner) is not responsible for any future use of the car (e.g. parking / speeding / toll / tax / Road Traffic Act offences etc. ).

It'll still show a notification of transfer to a Dealer on the website.

The Dealer obviously hasn't transferred it into his name. If you're buying off him make sure you get a sales receipt etc. and you'll be fine!

Example,

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus-C-Max/ACTIV-1./201235209815578/advert?channel=CARS

VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 08D 6721
    Vehicle Details FORD / FOCUS C-MAX
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 13/08/2012

Notified on : 13/08/2012
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    No Vehicle Registration Certificate issued in the last 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭beckman

I'm on the lookout for a new car as my NCT will expire on my current car next month.I am interested in getting a focus, an 09 or 10 but other than that, what I know about cars would fit on the back of a stamp......

My brother in law has advised me to get diesel, but as I don't do a lot of driving, 15 minute commute to and from work I'm not sure if a petrol would be just as good.There is also the tax to consider , is it pretty much the same for both?

Also what mileage should I be lookng out for, as at most, the car would be 3 years old ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't really know where to begin.....Thanks

Do not buy a diesel at that mileage!

Buy a 1.4 petrol, get a Zetec and don't buy a low spec ex rental.

• Advertisement

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/30213444233471070/advert?channel=CARS

Thanks a mill for your response, say hypothetically I were to get a diesel , what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks again in advance

Looks good, price seems a little high? Maybe I'm wrong.

My neighbour across the road bought the very same car off them and hasn't had any bother, not that that makes any difference!

In the photos for the above car, the reg has been removed /blocked out , is this common practise among dealers/For what purpose would the reg be hidden, should I be suspicious about this, I can't complete the online check with out the number or am I being paranoid now:confused:?

It could be english, ring them and ask them for the reg and the mileage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Quick question,Is a deposit refundable from a garage if for example you cant go through with the purchase?

• Advertisement

I've done an estimate of my annual mileage at 14,000 miles /22,000 km per year...In your opinion does this justify getting a 1.5 diesel car....on the otherhand I've read numerous posts where its been said the 1.4 petrol is very sluggish and not very powerful and to not even think about overtaking in them unless you have a death wish.....I wouldn't be doing mostly city driving as i take the motorway to work and am not from the city myself so do venture out in the country sometimes...would you still recommend the 1.4 petrol?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
    Beckman

Quick question,Is a deposit refundable from a garage if for example you cant go through with the purchase?
    In general, afaik, a deposit is not refundable. You would be depending on the goodwill of the dealer.

If you specify when placing the deposit is conditional (e.g. on getting finance or on your mechanic's report, or even on you being able to get insurance) then that's a different matter. In this scenario, I would get the seller to sign a statement you have written out to that effect.

Not your ornery onager

Bit of advice needed,looking at a car priced 7000e,seen it last week dealer said he'l do it for 6000 cash so went out got mechanic everything checked out bar it needing some tidying ie tires an brake pads,so go to make an offer an he says 6500 said he never said 6000 last week so doesnt budge off 6500 one bit so I walk out of principal,I want the car I think its worth 6 because the work it needs the car is for sale weeks now with no service history and im willing to take a risk on it an he's not budging :mad: what shall I do leave it completely or ring tomorrow saying the offer is still there for 6,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

just my opinion here, walk away. Plenty more fish and all that. That dealer has now lost ot on 6k because hes trying to be a gangster. You will get a beauty of a car for 6k. What are you looking at by the way?

akelly02 wrote: »
    just my opinion here, walk away. Plenty more fish and all that. That dealer has now lost ot on 6k because hes trying to be a gangster. You will get a beauty of a car for 6k. What are you looking at by the way?

I'll text today 6 grand offer is still there until close of business today see if he gets back to me,its a 7 series bmw diesel bit disgusted after him saying 6 last week an now 6500 I couldnt swallow my pride an pay that extra 500 it wouldnt feel right imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

if hes that stubborn i personally would take my business elsewhere. but if your mad after the car then laying a final offer of 6k on the table, take it or leave it job, wont do any harm.

akelly02 wrote: »
    if hes that stubborn i personally would take my business elsewhere. but if your mad after the car then laying a final offer of 6k on the table, take it or leave it job, wont do any harm.

Yeah nothing to lose I suppose ill get onto him now,its just the fact that he said 6 so i sorted mechanics an all an then the price changes then again maybe its not meant to be :confused:

Yeah nothing to lose I suppose ill get onto him now,its just the fact that he said 6 so i sorted mechanics an all an then the price changes then again maybe its not meant to be :confused:
    Insist on a written warranty if buying from him. Personally, I wouldn't buy from someone who is effectively dishonest - there are loads of good cars out there....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 42 socster

What you think of a Audi 05 1.9 tdi @ 6500?

heres the link http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4074028

socster wrote: »
    What you think of a Audi 05 1.9 tdi @ 6500?

heres the link http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4074028

Cant comment on the car engine wise but the only worry is nct is out in 3 months time which you could use as a haggling tool on price.

• Advertisement

Cant comment on the car engine wise but the only worry is nct is out in 3 months time which you could use as a haggling tool on price.
    NCT can be done 3 months in advance of expiry. I would insist on this being done if going ahead with purchase.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

insisting on the nct will be a waste of time, as it'll delay the sale/purchase, even longer if she fails, which can easily happen....walk away...

OP, spend your money on a lower milage freshly tested, unmolested one .......that one was remapped etc .... you'll get a beeter one if you wait and watch....

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Just wondering people's opinions on this car.

Very little info to go on i know but just wondering in general is it a fair price given the year, mileage, nct etc.

They are looking for 2,000, original asking price was 2,500

http://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/golf/2003-volkswagen-golf-for-sale/2056998

Thanks a mill in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Looking for some advise from the learned folk on here....
    have been thinking about buying a Hyundai tuscon around 07/08 but have come across a few Nissan xtrails for similiar money,like the look of both, what would peoples opinions be on these?
    cheers:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Looking for some advise from the learned folk on here....
    have been thinking about buying a Hyundai tuscon around 07/08 but have come across a few Nissan xtrails for similiar money,like the look of both, what would peoples opinions be on these?
    cheers:)

the tucson is a much more reliable suv in diesel anyways.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    the tucson is a much more reliable suv in diesel anyways.

Thanks,i was kinda leaning more towards the tucson ,but im only basing it on looks alone as i know flip-all about cars!!

Are you going to be using it for towing?

Alot of those Tuscons are 2WD.

Are you going to be using it for towing?

Alot of those Tuscons are 2WD.

No,just need something with a bit of room

No,just need something with a bit of room

Would you not be better off buying an estate?

I wouldn't touch an X trail anyway, the Tuscon to me looks awful dated with a 08 plate on it, and they're fairly horrible to be in/drive.

I honestly can't see the attraction with buying a 08 of either to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Is their anything I need to be on the lookout for with Lancer's? Looking at two used one's in the next few days (00 and 98) so want to know if their is anything specific that I should check on when I'm looking at them.

Advertisement