Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

menoscemo wrote: »
    I thought It was supposed to be 20? :p
    What time do you want to get going at?

What’s the problem? Don’t think you can handle it?! :p
    brownian wrote: »
    With a week plan like that, I wouldn't be too worried. That's a great set of runs, with plenty of mileage. I won't make anything like that many miles myself.
    Connemara - bring it on :D

It doesn’t look like I’ll make that many miles either… :o The only thing I had time for when I got home from work last night was 20 minutes with the foam roller and a cup of tea. I was exhausted so I set my alarm to go out this morning and went straight to bed.

Tuesday 15th March 15
    - 6.45miles – Av Pace 9.31
    I wasn’t looking forward to this run. I knew that my next run was going to make me doubt myself for Connemara. And it did! It was not enjoyable. My legs were heavy from the get go. It took 5 miles for my legs to loosen up and then I tried to go harder until I got home but I literally had nothing left. I was all over the shop – mind and body! I suppose the fact that I went out in the dark and rain and got through it will stand to me somehow... It’s done now anyway! I shall forget about it.

shazkea wrote: »
    Hey girl, just catching up on your log now. Well done on the 20 milers, great going. Best of luck for the 21 on Thursday and you're in great shape for Conn.

Thanks Shaz! Hopefully the last few days have just been a blip!

Actually if anyone can recommend any super remedies for low energy please do! Have to cut back on the tea and coffee in work and try to drink more water as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah, you're doing great, keep the chin up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You're right at the end of the hard weeks in the programme - but soon you'll be tapering.
    and then the madness really starts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, don't worry. This is all normal. Once you get your 21 miler done on thursday it will be all downhill until the marathon. Just try not to go too mad in those 3 weeks. You have been warned!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Don't worry about this mornings run clara. Early morning runs are tough at the best of times, not to mention when you're doing the kinda mileage you are up to!

Make sure you are eating enough with the miles you are putting in.

Keep the faith, you are doing really great training!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

At the end of training last year I used to hate the shorter runs cause I was just getting into my stride and they were over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Can you for the love of all that is holy and sacred, stop beating yourself up.

Its the norm that you will have peaks and troughs and doubts during a training cycle. 5 miles to you is now a pain as you've done 14, 16, 18 and 20 miles runs and your body is used to longer runs. If you were flying a 5 mile run, i'ld be more worried.

Remember you are doing a marathon. Speed is not the issue, endurance is. You have trained well for this and got the usual niggles like us all but you have got to stop putting yourself down. Marathons are also a mental test too so you have to think positive too.

Now if you don't stop with the beating yourself up, i shall come after you with a foam roller and perhaps some tassles:D

Ya see digger ain't the only one you can bring a subject down to the floor!

Spaghetti - Tassles eck16.gif

Unfortunately, he's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Everyone has tough days, and runs that mysteriously and distressingly don't go according to plan. I hate early early runs and feel much more comfortable running at lunchtime, so it's no big surprise to me if you feel poor starting at the crack of dawn. The motivation and commitment to get up and go out at that hour says plenty for you - be pleased you got out there at all. I would've stayed in bed :)

If you're hitting 20+ miles at a time and you're 3-4 weeks out from the big day, you're in the right place, the odd bad run notwithstanding. Keep up the motivation for another week or ten days, then sit back and slide down that lovely taper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Actually if anyone can recommend any super remedies for low energy please do!

Physical activity!;)

Thanks Shaz! if anyone can recommend any super remedies for low energy please do!

More fruit and veg and start the morning with Berocca!!!

mrslow wrote: »
    More fruit and veg and start the morning with Berocca!!!

Banana perhaps:D

Cheers lads! Feel a lot better today. Had a good sleep last night and have forgotten about yesterday's run already. Looking forward to tomorrow's run now after another decent sleep tonight and plenty of proper eating and uisce drinking today.

I can't wait until the taper madness starts... I'm a crazy at the best of times. :rolleyes: I'll know who my true friends are by the end of the month i.e. those who come to visit me when I've officially been committed! :D

Cheers lads! Feel a lot better today. Had a good sleep last night and have forgotten about yesterday's run already. Looking forward to tomorrow's run now after another decent sleep tonight and plenty of proper eating and uisce drinking today.
    I can't wait until the taper madness starts... I'm a crazy at the best of times. :rolleyes: I'll know who my true friends are by the end of the month i.e. those who come to visit me when I've officially been committed! :D

Never your problem, I'm looking forward to post race when you're running less and eating more, it'll be good cross training for me when I have to roll you up the Kyber:D

On behalf of Claralara - 'I couldn't be ar5ed logging on and writing a report this evening as I nailed plus 20 again today and am tucked up in bed watchin tele and am on my second 5Ltr tub of Ben and Jerry's Fish Food. That is all.' :cool:

But the real question is: Was the conversation as brilliant as the previous 20 miler?

Haha, I was actually just typing it into a word document - I always lose long posts when I tyr to submit!

Thursday 17th March
    - 20.56 miles - Av Pace 9.50

Met up with Menoscemo, Aigster and the Mrslow fella for this bright and early. It was a perfect morning for a run but I just wasn't feeling it. It took the first 3-4miles for the legs to loosen and lighten up. Took a gel and some water at mile 6 and felt alright. It was pretty much downhill from there. Let's just say I was the class disruption today and broke up the run on the lads goodo! 9.13 miles - cue emotional breakdown #1. A few panicky tears and deep breaths later and we set off again. I kept it to myself but I was thinking the cars were about 2 miles away and that I would be getting in, locking the doors and going home. Regained a bit of composure and kept going though. Another short water and gel break at about mile 14 and headed off again feeling alright-ish. We headed off towards the memorial gardens planning to finish the final mile on a hill. I actually felt like I was doing about 8.30minute miles my legs were that wrecked - I was in fact doing just under 10! Mile 16-17 I felt like I was moving but going nowhere. I didn't feel like I was knocking off the miles on this run in the slightest. 18.69 miles - cue emotional breakdown #2. This was preceded by mrslow getting a tap on the elbow and looking down at a big sad face to a to a wrecked whimper of "mrslow...I don't wanna do the Kyber":(. A few more hysterical tears, breaths, curses and a little drink and I gave myself a good talking to to get my a$s up that bloody Kyber if it was the last thing I did! So head down, forget the pace and just turn the legs over. Got up it with a grunt at the final hump and back to car park to finish.
    So 2 ultrarunners, a 7ft marathon runner with springs in his shoes, 2 water breaks, 2 emotional blow ups and several internal highs and lows and mind battles I got the distance covered. Thank god! I was happy to finish today to say the least!

Turned the key in the ignition and Country Mix (don't ask!!) was blaring out the banging tune 'The Boulevard of Broken Dreams'...Good thing I'm not superstitious eh?! Although I did notice there were lots of lonesome magpies in the park today...:rolleyes:

Spent the afternoon on bed in compression socks (HOT!) dozing and have just packed for my weekend away in Edinburgh. Today is over and done with! I did pack my running gear to facilitate 2 short runs so I suppose I haven't ben turned off it just yet.

That's it for the long runs for the time being! Have an 18miler and 2 20milers under the belt so hopefully what needs to be done is done. Mallow 10 mile race next Sunday and 8/10mile run the weekend after...Happy tapering! Hopefully. I don't think I'll suffer this madness y'all speak of.. Although I think I have I'm coming down with the flu. And I'm feeling niggles in every inch of my body that I've never felt before. And everything, I mean everything, is a weapon out to get me! Dogs on leads, dogs not on leads, children, shoes that haven't been prescribed on a gait analysis, tea, coffee, insomnia... If I was suffering from taper / first marathon madness I could go on. Good thing I'm not!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Wow your LSRs aren't without a measure of drama, are they? :p Fair play and enjoy Edinburgh, my absolute favourite city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Two 20s and and 18 - you are good to go! Unless someone chops your legs off in Edinburgh, you will be fine in Connemara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Thursday 17th March
    - 20.56 miles - Av Pace 9.50

So 2 ultrarunners, a 7ft marathon runner with springs in his shoes, 2 water breaks, 2 emotional blow ups and several internal highs and lows and mind battles I got the distance covered. Thank god! I was happy to finish today to say the least!

GO YOU!! Love your log Clara and your progress is inspirational.
    I hope you can enjoy the next few weeks and the reduced mileage in prep for the big day. I bailed on Connemara but am so looking forward to reading your account od the big day (as only you can describe it!) :D

Firstly, well done as you finished it. And secondly it would have been easier to give up and you finished going up a hill which will help you in Connemara.

You do really have to stop been so hard on yourself. You did 20.56 miles when you felt like siht which is a good day's work as you know you can do it. Mind those legs whatever you do as you will need them to carry you over the line. And you should keep a picture of crossing the line in your head and waving to the crowd.

Enjoy Edinburgh and you'll be grand in Mallow as whatever you do, it will be a bonus as its a training run for you. The country was full of single mapgies today as it took me a while to find a second one before i went to the betting shop this morning - thankfully it worked.

And if you think that all dogs are out to get you, welcome to the taper zone.:D

#1. A few panicky tears and deep breaths later and we set off again. cue emotional breakdown

#2. This was preceded by mrslow getting a tap on the elbow and looking down at a big sad face "mrslow...I don't wanna do the Kyber": A few more hysterical tears,

Spent the afternoon on bed in compression socks

[/QUOTE]

We need to review the Pre-nup.....;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done today, that's a great run to get in :)

Also, all the cool kids wear compression socks. :pac:

Also, all the cool kids wear compression socks. :pac:

Hmmm....Maybe at Halloween.......:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Although I did notice there were lots of lonesome magpies in the park today...:rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that. Was going to post something similar about magpies in my log, the 'highlight' of my run was two magpies going at it along cheterfield ave.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hmmm....Maybe at Halloween.......:eek:

You're just saying that because they look better on me than they do on you :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done O, you did it and that's really all that matters. Enjoy Edinburgh!

• Advertisement

Congrats again bud, surviving marathon training is an accomplishment and while there were tears and some snot, there were no snot bubbles which is a good indicator you weren't as bad as you thought.;)

Advertisement