Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Dublin pub names

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

O'Casey's does have a down stairs (and an upstairs as it happens). Played pool in it many a times (no jokes about tide pools please :rolleyes:)
    God two pubs are getting great coverage out of this. must be fact said pubs are straight across road from the terminus. always a big plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

must be fact pub across straight across road from the terminus. quote]

Are you sure your not typing this from one of them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

humberklog wrote: »
    The Windjammer is named after a model of very large sized steel hulled sailing ship. Pics of which are in the bar. Still the best early house imo. Pint of Guinness 4.20.

my god i love that pub

my god i love that pub
    where is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

in any case if i was told to meet someone in the high tide it was in neptune bar. downstairs was the low tide.

What are you talking about?

The pub is called the Flowing Tide..the downstairs part is called the Neptune Lounge..its sometimes called the Nep or the Nepper(although it has closed now) but it was NEVER called the low tide OR the high tide.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

The pub is called the Flowing Tide..the downstairs part is called the Neptune Lounge..its sometimes called the Nep or the Nepper(although it has closed now) but it was NEVER called the low tide OR the high tide.
    god are we back at this again. it was just a thing with me and a mate. it was just pure coincidence there is a pub called the high tide now. Im talking pre 98.

god are we back at this again. it was just a thing with me and a mate. it was just pure coincidence there is a pub called the high tide now. Im talking pre 98.

I'm talking pre '88!
    And i still never heard of that pub refered to as anything other than the Flowing Tide or the Neptune Lounge

I'm talking pre '88!
    And i still never heard of that pub refered to as anything other than the Flowing Tide or the Neptune Lounge
    It was nickname WE had for it. If it was on ground level in flowing tide we called the high tide. Low tide for downstairs. can we draw a line under this discussion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Pflano wrote: »
    Would love to know the origin of the Bird Flanagan. Also, the Waxies Dargle (closed now, I think) used to be opposite the Wax Museum off Parnell Square, the Glimmerman - Stoneybatter, the Windjammer, The Speaker Connolly, Mother Redcaps

The Speaker Connolly was the speaker (or chairman) of the Irish Parliament in the 18th century. He built Castletown House in Celbridge.

The Waxies Dargle is the Dodder river... the gentry in the 18th century used to have picnics on the banks of the dargle near Enniskerry, Wicklow. Waxies were cobblers... name derives from the waxed thread used in making and repairing shoes... they used to have their picnics on the banks of the Dodder, possibly at Donnybrook, hence the Dodder being referred to as the waxies Dargle.

Mother Redcaps (now gone?) was opened in 1989, the bicentenery of the French Revolution and the owner had a republican ethos; he named it after the fashion of the Sans Coulottes of Paris of wearing a red bonnet to denote their loyalty to the revolutionary cause.

where is it?

its on townsend street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm talking pre '88!
    And i still never heard of that pub refered to as anything other than the Flowing Tide
    Now Degsy, for your bonus point (or pint!), what was the former name of The Flowing Tide? :)

Now Degsy, for your bonus point (or pint!), what was the former name of The Flowing Tide? :)

could it be bohans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

In Swizterland, people can go and have a drink at the "Horny Bar". (just don't bring the kids)

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/offer-Activities_Excursions-Huts-46728.html

could it be bohans?
    Not that I'm aware of. It was under the same name for many years.

Howl at the Moon on Mount Street. Fittingly just across the road from Holles Street hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MYTOTE

The most accurate renaming of a pub I ever came across was when the Baggot Inn changed to "Big Jacks" .Does anyone remember guinness light?

MYTOTE wrote: »
    The most accurate renaming of a pub I ever came across was when the Baggot Inn changed to "Big Jacks" .Does anyone remember guinness light?
    Baggot Inn was a decent place before it was taken over. very good for gigs. Sometimes change is not always for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

boneless wrote: »
    T
    Mother Redcaps (now gone?) was opened in 1989, the bicentenery of the French Revolution and the owner had a republican ethos; he named it after the fashion of the Sans Coulottes of Paris of wearing a red bonnet to denote their loyalty to the revolutionary cause.

Long gone, to make way for you guessed it - apartments.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

MediaTank wrote: »
    Long gone, to make way for you guessed it - apartments.

The Mother Redcaps building is still fully intact. Market and bar (or tavern). It's closed down alright but the building still has all the Mother's frontage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

humberklog wrote: »
    The Mother Redcaps building is still fully intact. Market and bar (or tavern). It's closed down alright but the building still has all the Mother's frontage.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll be sure to clean my glasses next time I walk by :D

• Advertisement

Denis Hayes bar!

F8A03473-F8D2-4CF0-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The Stone Boat - Crumlin.

The Bird Flanagan - named after a Dublin joker of the 19th century

Denis Hayes bar!

F8A03473-F8D2-4CF0-
    Indeed! :)

PubDenisHayes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Oil Can Harry's on Mount Street.

Indeed! :)

PubDenisHayes.jpg

Note the sign on the window

"Try Hayes Creamy pint"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

my god i love that pub

Sounds like Humberklog love's every bleed'n pub!.

I'll have to drag him out to Campions for a gargle, sorry nothing special about the name. But its got to be one of the best pubs in Dublin, 'bar none!.

Actually I've often thought the bar & its customers would be a good photo op for him or Fijitas.

I'll have to drag him out to Campions for a gargle, sorry nothing special about the name. But its got to be one of the best pubs in Dublin, 'bar none!.

Actually I've often thought the bar & its customers would be a good photo op for him or Fijitas.

i would tag along if you dont mind, ive never been in campions

how about a dublin city forum beers?

Ha! I was only out in Campions for a pot of tea last week. It'd be a stop off for me. You need a cuppa after getting through Malahide traffic!! I'm game for a pint anyday, although I know you do be there on a Sunday so must pop the nose in some day. I was out with Fafitas after the After Hours do the other week and he said he'd a cracking night so I was half thinking of popping in to the one on the 18th.

I don't often photo in pubs, I'd like to but end up drinking!! (than losing cameras).
    Windjammer would be the pub I'd have popped into when frequenting a house in Pearse Sq. but that person's location has moved to Mountjoy St. so I've been exploring the little nest of pubs around there. Great little spot, rich vien of pubs I'd never been in.
    Oh I do like me pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The Stone Boat - Crumlin.

Crumlin also had the "Comeon Inn", now the Argus Arms i think,

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    I'll check later, but Thomas Smyth rings a bell.

Thomas Keogh as it works out.

Advertisement