Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

muddypaws wrote: »
    Where are the photos? :D

I have a very funny one of Oliver raising his head to show off his collar, will try and get them up tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was reading a post on the local facebook page and it's quite a typical cat issue. People get kitten, leave it out at 5 months old:eek: then the neighbours start letting the kitten in, feeding it and allowing the kitten to stay in at night, owners then get irate as kitten wants to live with neighbours. That then leads to essentially a war over the kitten and accusations that the neighbours are trying to steal the kitten.:rolleyes: It's not me, honestly.:D

I will never understand the mentality of getting a cat, especially a very young kitten who isn't able to defend itself against dogs and other threats, in an area with a very busy main road beside it and putting it out to take it's chances. This logic that the cat needs to be outside most of the time and especially at night. The neighbours are rightly concerned and of course it won't end well. A cat chooses where it lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm so disappointed - my friend was in Paris last week and saw a cat cafe.... and didn't go in lol!!! They were at another cafe down the street and had already ordered!

I've been trying to explain to the person with the roaming 6 month old kitten, who has been roaming since he was at most 5 months old, why it's not safe for him to be outdoors. It's like banging my head off a brick wall. Apparently not leaving him out is 'cruel':rolleyes: I came across a cat in that area on monday night that had been chased out in front of a car by another cat and killed outright. I'd hate to see the kitten suffer a similar end.

I've just seen a "timber wolf" on FB... it looks oddly like the retriever x white gsd in our park! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I've been trying to explain to the person with the roaming 6 month old kitten, who has been roaming since he was at most 5 months old, why it's not safe for him to be outdoors. It's like banging my head off a brick wall. Apparently not leaving him out is 'cruel':rolleyes: I came across a cat in that area on monday night that had been chased out in front of a car by another cat and killed outright. I'd hate to see the kitten suffer a similar end.

There's no talking to some people. I get told it's Cruel for having my cats mostly indoors. They get let out for a bit in the evenings but they mostly just Potter about the garden before wanting to come back in. I think it would be more cruel to have them roaming the streets in the cold or out on the road where they could be knocked down or attacked by the large dog population in the area.

There's no talking to some people. I get told it's Cruel for having my cats mostly indoors. They get let out for a bit in the evenings but they mostly just Potter about the garden before wanting to come back in. I think it would be more cruel to have them roaming the streets in the cold or out on the road where they could be knocked down or attacked by the large dog population in the area.

I'm no saint, our cats have a cat flap and they come and go as they like. I'd have preferred indoor only cats but since Jazzy was a feral kitten he panics if we even close the door of the room he's in and that's actually gotten worse over the years. The last time he was anaesthetised at the vets he tore holes in the carpet inside the bedroom door trying to get out, we had him in there to rest. He just gets freaked out if he's confined, so with that situation it just isn't possible to have them indoor only. I just hate to think of a little kitten being on the street.

On a seperate note, Jazzy brought home a rodent earlier on, I think it was dead, fricking huge thing. Thankfully he ran off with it when I saw him. I knew once I heard the weird meow from the kitchen that he had something. There's a specific meow that he only does when he's caught something. I'm terrified of rodents.

Cats killing each other outside!! Lucy lifted her head up and went back asleep and Bailey is looking at me all worried! The noise of them!! :eek: must be the new kitten that's been hanging around some of the gardens. Drives me mad because Bailey will bark and growl at it - not good when we're leaving for our walk at 6:40am :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Just had to physically restrain my two. God knows what set it off but they were having a right go at each other.
    Thank heavens for crates, both are now separated!

• Advertisement

Someone rear ended me today, drove the car forward about 3ft (I had brakes on too), I was stopped, by give way sign, car coming the other way (narrow bit of road) and he couldn't stop in time.
    Big Passat or similar vw less than 5 years old, and he smashed the front grill, broke front number plate and busted the front bumper on his car, mine has a small scuff on the plastic piece in the rear bumper. I'm fine, just got a fright, but I drive a fiesta, so glad the safety spiel they give about rear impact protection seems to be true.
    He was very apologetic, and admitted it was entirely his fault, I took his number and reg as he offered, but he said he'd sort his car himself.
    Nice start to my day, but think I've homes for 3 stray kittens my friend has been trying to catch, and they have the mother tame enough to catch and neuter too. So ended on a better note.

Oh and I got cake, the chocolate kind, thanks to my daughter, but she started baking a bit late so has to stay up late to taste it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mymo wrote: »
    but he said he'd sort his car himself.

Jeez Mymo, that was an awful thing to happen, hope you're okay :(
    What about your car? Is he going to compensate you for the damage? There could be a fair amount of damage under your bumper, if there is your car isn't as safe as it used to be :(

There doesn't seem to be any damage, but getting it checked out at weekend, And have his details just in case.
    I'm fine, just got a fright.

God mymo that's terrible. I almost drove into a taxi in the carpark in work yesterday who decided drive the wrong way..!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

mymo wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any damage, but getting it checked out at weekend, And have his details just in case.
    I'm fine, just got a fright.

Make sure you let your insurance know. Nothing needs to happen there but in my experience it's better to have reported it than not just in case you need their help after the weekend.

:( Bit of a scary experience in the park there. Brought the dogs over for a quick run around... I let them off and they ran to the middle of the field as usual then Lucy froze and lay down..when I saw the dog that was coming down the hill my heart sank. I think it's maybe an akita/gsd or even northern breed cross? It used to be friends with Lucy playing with her although I had heard stories of her attacking other dogs they were always fine together. She no longer want's to play with Lucy which I'm delighted Lucy has figured out after last time she ran past the dog to my friend and it had her by the throat in seconds on the ground.. :mad:
    Anyways the guy was walking around with somebody else on the path taking when the dog approached Lucy with a low growl. I had a stick so distracted Lucy away from her but she was hanging around us growling and showing her teeth to Lucy.. Next Bailey passes by and she snaps at him for no reason but not loud enough for the guy to notice. Just as I was about to ask the guy to call her away she got distracted by another dog yelping and ran down (the person he was walking with has 2 snappy dogs) For a few seconds I was worried that something was going to happen. My concern is that if she does go for Lucy Bailey will try to step in and I'll be left with 2 injured dogs.

I don't think I've ever been afraid/unsure of a dog in that park up until now - I've never encountered one in there that's so unpredictable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I was in dublin today and found a frankenstein dog jumper I wanted to get for moone but they only had large sizes left and too large for Alli aswell. I ended up getting moone a pumpkin costume in penneys, she is too cute in it :D sucks for her being the smallest she always has to wear the costumes :D

Bloody hell..up reading in bed and I thought there must be ghosts/banshees/zombies outside - nope just the cats killing each other again!!!!! :eek:

tk123 wrote: »
    Bloody hell..up reading in bed and I thought there must be ghosts/banshees/zombies outside - nope just the cats killing each other again!!!!! :eek:

If only people would spay/neuter.

My mam bought a pumpkin for halloween but hasnt carved it yet, it's on the floor of the sitting room. Alli has decided Shes terrified of it, strange dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

SingItOut wrote: »
    My mam bought a pumpkin for halloween but hasnt carved it yet, it's on the floor of the sitting room. Alli has decided Shes terrified of it, strange dog.

Aw, poor pet ;) I can only imagine if we tried that with young Nyssa - pumpkin chunks and pulp flying all over the house :D

She came in all excited because I bought her and moone a new dog bed then she spotted the pumpkin. She's running over then jumping away hiding behind the sofa and giving it the evil eye :D

She came in all excited because I bought her and moone a new dog bed then she spotted the pumpkin. She's running over then jumping away hiding behind the sofa and giving it the evil eye :D

Aw, funny, but I'd kinda feel sorry for her :( How old is she, by the way? Does she think some evil monster is gonna hatch out of it on halloween night? :D

She's getting braver and barking at it now, she was only 1 in August so it's her first Halloween really. She was in a rescue this time last year. She's afraid of the cats too, she's just a wuss :D

Ah, wee baby still :) What breed/mix is she?

I only just saw who Nyssa's mum was, as the dogs trust people told me: she hadn't been available yet when we adopted. She is more mixed than we thought, as her mum wasn't a pure shepherd either!

This was her mum:

7124286_MARIA_20140917042544_Maria%20_w800.JPG

Perfectly happy with that, tbh, we didn't have any preconceptions about her anyway. And isn't mum just the cutest thing anyway? :D

She's a collie cross springer. A few springers I've met have been quite nervy so maybe that's where it stems from.

Aw she is beautiful! She has such a smily face, hope she gets adopted soon

She's a collie cross springer. A few springers I've met have been quite nervy so maybe that's where it stems from.

She is down as reserved on their site now, so looks like it didn't take her long to charm somebody :D Obviously she was still recovering from her spay when we adopted her last daughter (last son was still in there then too, but gone the next week.)

The staff member who checks up on the adoptees told me all her pups are turning into brilliant dogs, and they think it was because Maria was such an awesome mum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Collies can be nervy too! Amazing dogs so clever, sensitive and comical.

Definitely! I don't know about the clever thing yet, she's had a lot of ditzy moments :o But she definitely has a strong personality :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

No one has claimed the lost kitten still so she is off to live with my mam on Monday. I would love to keep her but she seems to be bullying Luna a bit as she is a bit bigger than her, and I cant really afford a 4th cat. My mam only lives 10 minutes away and I will be on babysitting duty for her so Its not so bad. I know she is going to be spoilt rotten :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement