Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite - 'The Ending' Discussion Thread (Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Also, Has anyone else heard about this Bioshock Easter egg.

Whether intentional or coincidence I don't know, but it's pretty cool imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

:eek:

No way. It's just a sound effect being re-used. It is the same studio after all.

On the other hand, what possible purpose does that ambient sound have in that room? It's very out of place.

But surely they would have made it more obvious......like as you travel through one of the glass walkway's, you see a silhouette of songbird in the distance. Something more obvious. A sound effect seems too cryptic.

My money is on pure coincidence. I think people are giving them too much credit. I hope to be proven wrong by the developers....probably through twitter because people will ask. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

..hey I loved the ending , but then it hit me.
    you know that sh*tty series of fights you have with the siren/ghost.
    After Elizabeth goes to her mothers grave to get her hand.To fool the scanner into letting them in the door to comstock house.Well...
    IF BOOKER HAD TRIED THAT DOOR IT WOULD HAVE OPENED!!
    lazy fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Dr Bob wrote: »
    After Elizabeth goes to her mothers grave to get her hand.To fool the scanner into letting them in the door to comstock house.Well...
    lazy fecker!

Haha, that's a good point! That's the kind of thing where I wonder if the writers thought about it at all :P I know there's a lot of layers to the game, but that seems like something they might have just missed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

lazy fecker!

But they didn't know that at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just realised there I have a problem with multiple Elizabeths drowning Booker at the end. If it was one or even 2 and they didn't disappear at the end then it would make more sense. If all the Elizabeths are killing all the Comstock's at that moment it doesn't make sense that there are so many there unless it is only the one Comstock which with the infinite universe theory doesn't really work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Liam O wrote: »
    Just realised there I have a problem with multiple Elizabeths drowning Booker at the end. If it was one or even 2 and they didn't disappear at the end then it would make more sense. If all the Elizabeths are killing all the Comstock's at that moment it doesn't make sense that there are so many there unless it is only the one Comstock which with the infinite universe theory doesn't really work.

They're the potential Elizabeths from the future branches, but there's only one initial DeWitt before the branching occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

lazy fecker!

What about earlier in the game when Booker jumps onto the airship to blow it up. He was looking for the guns at that time so that he could get back onto the other airship.

Why not just drive the one he was on to NY/Paris? Sure it wasn't as cushy as the other one, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,084 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I finished this yesterday, brilliant game and a great ending.

Like others have said, it's a proper ending. It takes its time and it's not a matter of ''Beat the boss, bit of a wrap-up, credits...''

It can twist your brain (it twisted mine anyway) but it really makes you think and that's why I like it so much. I've finished the game but I'm still going over stuff in my head but it isn't frustrating me. I can't remember a game ending that got that reaction from me.

A lot of the other recent blockbusters have drawn mixed reactions from me towards their endings.

Mass Effect 3: ''What? Why? What happened there?''
    Tomb Raider: ''That was cool, moving on.''
    Far Cry 3: ''That was cool, moving on.''
    Assassins Creed 3: ''Meh.''

But I'll probably be going over stuff in my head and piecing things together from Bioshock in a few days. I'm not doing 1999 mode though, doing the final battle on Comstock's ship on hard mode had me grinding my teeth so I dread to think what that would be like '99 mode. I might do a easy mode run through to soak everything up with minimal fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Rezident

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Nice one!

I restarted the game on easy and got back to the point where the incredible barbershop quartet sing "God only knows what I'd be without you". The lyrics, taken in the context of what has happened in the ending, is incredibly poignant.

"I may not always love you
    But long as there are stars above you
    You never need to doubt it
    Ill make you so sure about it

God only knows what I'd be without you

If you should ever leave me
    Though life would still go on believe me
    The world could show nothing to me
    So what good would living do me

If you should ever leave me
    Well life would still go on believe me
    The world could show nothing to me
    So what good would living do me

God only knows what I'd be without you"

So true! I completely missed the barber shop quartet first time around. So much quality content even on my second play through and so many things make sense on a different level now. Incredible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

J. Marston wrote: »
    But I'll probably be going over stuff in my head and piecing things together from Bioshock in a few days. I'm not doing 1999 mode though, doing the final battle on Comstock's ship on hard mode had me grinding my teeth so I dread to think what that would be like '99 mode. I might do a easy mode run through to soak everything up with minimal fuss.
    There is a really easy way to do the final bit. When I figured it, it was honestly too easy.
    Use return to sender on the core so that it doesn't take much damage.

And that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Finished it there an hour or two ago, my brain has melted and I have a strange look on my face. Really liked Elizabeth, even as my head sank below the water I felt strangely at peace, a great achievement from Irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Finished it there an hour or two ago, my brain has melted and I have a strange look on my face. Really liked Elizabeth, even as my head sank below the water I felt strangely at peace, a great achievement from Irrational.

Finished it about an hour ago myself. Kinda feel the same. All I say at this stage is that I like how they had the 50/50 chance hints from the very beginning. (flipping the coin, choosing the necklace).

And I think this song will be giving me nightmares tonight (from time 1.25):

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Great game. Loved it and the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Still not gone on the ending the more I think about it. I know he went down two different paths but would the Comstock booker really be a completely different person after his Baptism?

Sure he might have different beliefs, but I mean he is drastically different. Hes racist for one, which is completely against what Booker was.

And one annoying thing, Comstock has a completely different voice to that of Bookers.....and the Comstock holding the baby before Elizabeth lost her finger looked nothing like Booker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

joe123 wrote: »
    Still not gone on the ending the more I think about it. I know he went down two different paths but would the Comstock booker really be a completely different person after his Baptism?

Sure he might have different beliefs, but I mean he is drastically different. Hes racist for one, which is completely against what Booker was.

And one annoying thing, Comstock has a completely different voice to that of Bookers.....and the Comstock holding the baby before Elizabeth lost her finger looked nothing like Booker.

All of the above is explained in the audio logs dotted around Columbia. Firstly, the baptism did change Booker/Comstock quite drastically. Firstly, the DeWitt that went through the baptism used it as a way to wash away his sins, not only allowing his mind to get over the shame but actually celebrate his actions and use them to turn him into a hero.

As for the different look and sound, it is explained that using the tears quite frequently has caused Comstock to age rapidly so what you are seeing is a fairly damaged version of DeWitt. Finally, the tears also eventually made him sterile, so when he wanted an heir, he set into motion the events of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Otacon wrote: »
    All of the above is explained in the audio logs dotted around Columbia. Firstly, the baptism did change Booker/Comstock quite drastically. Firstly, the DeWitt that went through the baptism used it as a way to wash away his sins, not only allowing his mind to get over the shame but actually celebrate his actions and use them to turn him into a hero.

As for the different look and sound, it is explained that using the tears quite frequently has caused Comstock to age rapidly so what you are seeing is a fairly damaged version of DeWitt. Finally, the tears also eventually made him sterile, so when he wanted an heir, he set into motion the events of the game.

I picked up all but 9 audio logs I think but it still doesn't explain why Booker looks nothing like the Comstock we see just before the baby loses its finger. NOTHING alike. And this Comstock was still young with brown hair.

Still not gone on the explanation for the different voice too. Its drastically different.

And if I missed an audio log on how De witt totally changed his views on EVERYTHING after the baptism then fair enough. But I mean, hes not even close to having any of the same characteristics but if it was explained in a log I missed fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I was actually watching my housemate playing it there last night. At some points near the start of the game where Comstock is talking to Brooker, Brooker talks along with him. Quiet, subtle, but it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Still not gone on the explanation for the different voice too. Its drastically different.

But I mean, hes not even close to having any of the same characteristics but if it was explained in a log I missed fair enough.

The voice can be explained off through the tears and getting older.

Is there a side by side comparison of Comstock and Booker? I wouldnt say they look completely different. Obviously, the major difference I can see is the beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,084 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

tok9 wrote: »
    Is there a side by side comparison of Comstock and Booker? I wouldnt say they look completely different. Obviously, the major difference I can see is the beard.

Booker (I found this on the Bioshock forums, not sure if it's actually official)

sSPBe7s0j1M.jpg

Young Comstock

fb7f6b58-c423-4be6-83bc-09c9fe7f2ab9.jpg

Old Comstock (Best pic I could find that wasn't a poster in-game)

2461886-2013-03-27_00047.jpg

Booker and young Comstock are identical but for the beard, bit harder to see the old Comstock picture but the similarities are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Found this on the Giantbomb site:
    Why does Booker become Comstock? How does baptism turn him into a religious zealot and racist?

The answer to this is twofold. The religious zealotry comes from the visions that he believes are gifts from god in the form of prophecy, but are actually glimpses into alternate dimensions via tears. Everything he does, from raising Columbia, to kidnapping Elizabeth, to his endgame of a New York on fire, is a result of his attempt to fulfill these visions.

The racism ties in to one of the underlying themes of BioShock Infinite, forgiveness of oneself. The baptism is an attempt by Booker to come to terms with the atrocities committed at Wounded Knee. However, regardless of whether or not he accepts baptism, he is unable to forgive himself. In the "rejects baptism" reality this sense of guilt manifests itself in his horrible alcoholism and gambling debt. In the "accepts baptism" reality, Comstock forces himself to see non-whites as subhuman to make their wholesale slaughter more palatable in his mind.

"Comstock feels self-loathing for himself due to his implied Native American lineage - there are two recordings which heavily imply this. The first one has Comstock complaining that he was suspected of being mixed-race, which completely outrages him. The second is a recording of Preston E. Downes talking how he met the martyr!Booker. The recording states that Booker knows Sioux, which is how he helps him communicate with an Indian boy." -Ghostiet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just finished it there, overall hugely disappointing the whole game was ruined knowing that there was some twist to come at the end and I felt everything I was doing was pointless and just to kill time before setting up some weird ending. It all got a bit Twin Peaks there near the end.

So many missions involve going from point A to point B then Back to A to get to C then back to B then through a tear into an alternative A,B and C shooting set number of enemies each time. I got fairly sick of back tracking. That whole lady Comstock thing was a pain.

Presentation was stunning I really liked the artwork and the feel of the city but boy did it lack any kind of exploration or anything to get invested in. So much work went into this it deserved better. The tears and bringing in things from other times/dimensions was a really good touch. But pretty forgettable game to be honest when you put it up against Bioshock 1 which I still think is a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmmyOk

I quite enjoyed the ending. I had to read some summaries just to make sure I fully understood all of it, or at least most of it. I'm not sure if I still need spoiler tags, but I'll assume I do. I thought
    only one booker was drowned at the baptism, which closed off all the other potential Comstock/DeWitt realities because it was the branching point

Someone mentioned earlier hearing a sound similar to Songbird in the original bioshock, and that it might be
    Songbird's death foreshadowed all the way back then
    . As cool as that would be, Levine mentioned that originally the Songbird was going to sound like a Big Daddy rather than high-pitched. So they couldn't have decided to put that Easter Egg in back when they were making Bioshock.

For me the most interesting part of the ending was
    "there is always a man and a lighthouse" etc.
    . Making the games all parallel stories exploring different themes. Most articles I read though drew the obvious similarities (Ryan -> Comstock, Jack -> Booker, Little Sisters -> Elizabeth) but connected Fontaine/Atlas with Daisy Fitzroy. Which seems wrong to me. In the same way Elizabeth is multiple people in Bioshock, I think Fontaine is multiple people in Infinite. Atlas is Fitzroy, but I think Fontaine's parallel would definitely be Fink.

Both are charismatic con-men who set up manufacturing businesses that are essential to the primary antagonist. Fontaine Futuristics and Fisheries as well as his homes for the poor are very similar to Fink MFG and how his workers live in the factory. I am not sure if he invented them in Rapture but Fontaine was definitely a manufacturer of Plasmids and of course Fink brought Vigors to Columbia. I also felt that Fink's massive golden statue was a stick in the for Comstock, it was like a Golden Calf. I think if Booker hadn't shown up, Fink and Comstock were destined to clash. Which would parallel Ryan trying to destroy Fontaine.

The relationship between Fink and Daisy kind of buggers the theory a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Presentation was stunning I really liked the artwork and the feel of the city but boy did it lack any kind of exploration or anything to get invested in. So much work went into this it deserved better. The tears and bringing in things from other times/dimensions was a really good touch. But pretty forgettable game to be honest when you put it up against Bioshock 1 which I still think is a work of art.

I'm of the same opinion, enjoyable game, I had a great time playing it. But I wouldn't be going around praising it all day and giving it 10/10 .
    When anyone asks if I played it I say yes...and then ask them if they've played Bioshock 1....to which most say no. I then just try convince them to play Bioshock 1 as it is a much better game.

There were never any "tense" moments, like the way you had to plan about attacking a "big daddy"

My favourite part of Bioshock Infinite was when I was back in rapture.

Biggest disappointment about the game, the plasmids ....no need for them whatsoever. I didn't need to use about 70% of them. Electricity here and there, and upgrade the "crow trap" to full....so they constantly make crow traps, and then just upgrade certain weapons and it's as easy.

• My brain is on fire. Whut just happened? Well, I get bits and pieces, but I think I need to replay soon, with the ending fresh in my mind. Its so good. It was great to have a fully wrapped up game, with seemingly no chance of a sequel. Well, hopefully.

What did they mean at the beginning by, "he doesn't row"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmmyOk

What did they mean at the beginning by, "he doesn't row"?

The Lutece's are checking to see what changes each time they bring a Booker to try and get Elizabeth. For example at the coin toss Booker's choice might change but it always lands on heads no matter what. That is why Robert has the chalkboard with all the strikes for heads. The amount of strikes is also the reasoning behind which number Booker the one we play is. When they say he doesn't row, they mean no Booker they have brought through to rescue Elizabeth has ever rowed, hence "He doesn't row". Constants and variables as Elizabeth later says.

• Can anyone explain the whole asylum thing? I was a bit lost with that. What exactly was that guy?

Also just noticed.. the attack on New York happened in or around 1983/1984. If you look in the background of this clip, you can see a news ticker which says "Columbia Sky City threatens New York something/01/83 Evacuation".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

EmmyOk wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I still need spoiler tags, but I'll assume I do.

You're fine. The thread is about the end, so there's little chance of not having spoilers here. :D
    EmmyOk wrote: »
    For me the most interesting part of the ending was
    "there is always a man and a lighthouse" etc.
    . Making the games all parallel stories exploring different themes. Most articles I read though drew the obvious similarities (Ryan -> Comstock, Jack -> Booker, Little Sisters -> Elizabeth) but connected Fontaine/Atlas with Daisy Fitzroy. Which seems wrong to me. In the same way Elizabeth is multiple people in Bioshock, I think Fontaine is multiple people in Infinite. Atlas is Fitzroy, but I think Fontaine's parallel would definitely be Fink.
    You have to remember that they hadn't planned out this game when the first one was made, so there's bound to be plot holes when tying the two stories together.

The "there is always a man and a lighthouse" line basically said to me that the ending was pointless, as there's no possible way to stop it from happening, since there's an infinite amount of possibilities.

• Just found this.. very interesting.

Apparently throughout the game you could hear some ambient noises. Someone then took this noise and sped it up.. seemingly its an actual melody and song that are playing.

(you can switch between the different speeds to hear it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Having just completed it, have to say i'm disappointed. Good game, but a few downfalls imo.

The Vigors: only used Bucking Bronco really (and Possession for getting monies from the vending machines). The Devils Kiss was used towards the end, but after i got BB i didn't use anything else. Murder of Crows felt way under-powered, Undertow was crap, Shock Jockey was under-powered, Charge was alright but usually left you wide open for a boot in the face, and Return to Sender was meh.

The weapons was also meh. Literally had the Huntsman Carbine for the whole game once i got it. Changed the second weapon around a little bit, usually between the Hand Cannon and Shotgun, but the Carbine was the best weapon.

Got sick of checking everything for loot. I think Borderlands is to blame for this.

The ending. Felt like a cop out to me. As someone said in this thread, it felt to me akin to ending with "And then he woke up". I get what Levine was doing, but it ruined the game for me to be honest. But, that could also be the fault of Bioshock 1, which is still the best game in the series and had, imo, a fantastically better ending.

But, the game did have it's merits. The first truly likeable "partner" character since Alyx from Half Life. And they had the facial expressions done perfectly for her, like depending on her mood with you she wore a different expression while ye were walking around. And they didn't turn her into an escort mission character either, i hate them!

The city was lovely, but like others i expected more zip-lining.

I don't know, it just didn't do it for me. I much preferred the environments of the first 2. 6/10 for me.

Advertisement