Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Here are a few pics of his CM 2.4m Prime Focus he got for free.

picture.php?albumid=407&pictureid=7251

and

picture.php?albumid=407&pictureid=7252

not bad eh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

Notting wrong with that, A bit of a clean and it will be like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

some dish and if its for free or even on the cheap then happy days,what is he using it to pick up nilesat?

glic83 wrote: »
    some dish and if its for free or even on the cheap then happy days,what is he using it to pick up nilesat?

Yes you guessed right but for the moment its not in situ yet, its a question of space.

On the otherhand I've got the space here, something to think about.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Great pics Greenman. Love the shots of the lnb holder for 28 east off the Arabsat dish.

Re Priority switches, they are very hard to get hold of, mine is a global make, ive had it for years, i may have an invoice somewhere (In the attic), so i will know where it came from. They are a great piece of useful kit to allow 2 receivers to share 1 input (Ie a motor).

Try:
    http://www.pulsat.com/categories/Motors-%26-Switches/?sort=featured&page=2
    (Seem expensive though)

The only other way is to use the loop function in the back of 1 of the satellite receivers, but i have found these very hit and miss.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    Great pics Greenman. Love the shots of the lnb holder for 28 east off the Arabsat dish.

Thanks for that Snaps its something I saw on watty's site http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/sathowto-p6.htm

For example

lnbs1.jpg

RogerThis wrote: »
    I can't find many places selling priority switches. None on ebay anyways.

Our polish friends have three different switches for sale, the top one seems to be what ive got! Not 100% sure what difference the other 2 have.

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1214&id_kat=22&id_typu=0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

Our polish friends have three different switches for sale, the top one seems to be what ive got! Not 100% sure what difference the other 2 have.

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1214&id_kat=22&id_typu=0

VSP301 uses 0/12V constant voltage from SCART to switch.
    VSP202 uses 0/12V pulse from SCART to switch.
    VSP201 looks like a priority switch - but the picture shows VSP200, so it's hard to be sure.

my priority switch has the scart feed as well but i dont use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Greenman wrote: »
    Thanks for that Snaps its something I saw on watty's site http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/sathowto-p6.htm

For example

lnbs1.jpg
    That concoction is long gone :)

Very out of date site not updated in over 8 years maybe?
    126677.jpg
    Taken a couple of years ago. Centre is Triax 110cm on Motek SG2100. I was testing Astra2Connect on 23E, hence VSAT ODU.
    Currently It's 28.2E, 19.2E, 13E and 9E* feeding EMP Centauri Multiswitch.

One PC with 2x PCI DVB-s2 cards
    Sky box
    2 PCs with regular DVB-s cards

Security camera uses VHS as modulator and feed terrestrial input of Multiswitch. The camera is on top of pole with Security light above the motorised dish.

Cheap box with Blind scan for Motor.
    "Shack" photos on new Site:
    http://www.wattystuff.net/amateur/the-shack/
    dishes-w.png

However most tech stuff I publish now on www.techtir.ie which I 25% own with Byte, Bond-007 and DMC.

*Will add a ka band LNBF on 9E next year
    Leftmost dish is not in use. Though it has a C Band LNBF on it. I'm promised a big mesh dish for C band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

Thanks to marclt for stickying this thread. We've had a few threads like this in the past where people have posted photos of their setups, but they fell off the radar after a while. Hopefully, we can get lots of good shots on this thread!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've just got a Triax TD110 on a Moteck 2100a for my Vu+ Duo, as well as a TD64 for Sky+HD (with another feed for second tuner in Vu+). I shall edit this post with pix tomorrow, not that there's much point :)

In the past 2-3 years, I've gone through about 5 "hobby" receivers - the TM1500, TM5400, Octagon SF918HD (absolutely the worst receiver I have ever had the misfortune to own or use, though lucky to lose very little by selling it on eBay a few weeks later), TM6900 Super (very good basic HD rxr), and my current pride of place, the Vu+Duo.

Similar dish to mine (Mine's a Triax 110) and current model of same motor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

73221_1663019944694_1513087303_1649713_1507547_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

bad effort there manc,get that 1.2m triax ;)
    Manc-Red wrote: »
    73221_1663019944694_1513087303_1649713_1507547_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

How does that L bracket fair out in the wind it looks very thin.
    I have the same type bracket with my motorized dish, but its 65 cm, which is good and thick and does'nt move in high wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

jpsr wrote: »
    How does that L bracket fair out in the wind it looks very thin.
    I have the same type bracket with my motorized dish, but its 65 cm, which is good and thick and does'nt move in high wind.

2 years in & had no issues so far m8

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Here's my setup:

Triax TD-54, Technomate TM-2600, Comag LNB.

The "mast" I believe, is the remnants of the ca. 1860s outside jacks.

It's fairly exposed, so that's why I went for such a small dish, it's a rented place, I'd have preferred an 80cm+, but didn't want the ancient ironmongery to be torn from the flat-roof shed beneath. Also, the motor was the only one I could confirm had 3" U-bolts.

At the moment, I've got very reliable 28.2, 23.5, 19.2, and 13 east, which was what I wanted. With a slight adjustment I can get bits of 9, 4 E etc, but nothing west without some serious elevation adjustment, which ruins everything east...a function of the small dish, I presume.

Manc-Red wrote: »
    2 years in & had no issues so far m8

And manc red told me he only has that bracket held in with 2 bolts, to save money..............:eek:

rurs wrote: »
    Here's my setup:

Triax TD-54, Technomate TM-2600, Comag LNB.

The "mast" I believe, is the remnants of the ca. 1860s outside jacks.

It's fairly exposed, so that's why I went for such a small dish, it's a rented place, I'd have preferred an 80cm+, but didn't want the ancient ironmongery to be torn from the flat-roof shed beneath. Also, the motor was the only one I could confirm had 3" U-bolts.

At the moment, I've got very reliable 28.2, 23.5, 19.2, and 13 east, which was what I wanted. With a slight adjustment I can get bits of 9, 4 E etc, but nothing west without some serious elevation adjustment, which ruins everything east...a function of the small dish, I presume.

I would say if you cant get anything west, then your arc is out. you should get 5 west, 8 west and 30 west with that dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

bassy wrote: »
    bad effort there manc,get that 1.2m triax ;)

Jees thats shocking that you have no problems!!

Looks like the one from lidl i got years ago!!

Wind drove it mad!... Made my own in the end connected to top and button and now its solid out!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

I would say if you cant get anything west, then your arc is out. you should get 5 west, 8 west and 30 west with that dish.
    Yes, I probably need to have another go, I'll start a new thread maybe, when I have time to get up on the roof, and the weather's better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Following on from my thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71172302#post71172302
    I thought that as my fiddling is now finished I'd post a few pic's of the finished article :)
    I'm happy with the results and even 16'e is coming at over 50%SNR with minimal glitching and all other Sats apart from 9'e are well above 80%SNR now :)
    151656.jpg
    151657.jpg
    151658.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Would it not be easier, cheaper and better to get a motorised dush surely.

settopbox wrote: »

Cheaper maybe if starting from scratch, but I went from a 13' and 19' setup on my dish.
    As for better, definitely not for the spread of sats I use.
    With this set up I have full pvr capabilities on all the sats i use with watch/record on 13' and 28.2' along with a 28.2 feed to a bedroom too.
    It gives a degree of flexibility that isn't possible with a motor, ie watch one sat whilst recording another while someone else is watching sky in the bedroom......
    Try that on a motor :P

I admit that a multi lnb setup is a compromise, but apart from 16e (and I'm getting 60% on that now after another day of tweaking)all the sats are pulling 80% plus snr and diseqc gives me instant channel changes.

It mightn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I did it mainly for the challenge and see what I could get ;)
    And I'm happy with the result....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Wow banie great job with extending your setup...really impressed...amazed you got so much on there...love triax dishes great to work with....I'd hate to try and count all the channels you have now lol...

steveon wrote: »
    Wow banie great job with extending your setup...really impressed...amazed you got so much on there...love triax dishes great to work with....I'd hate to try and count all the channels you have now lol...

Thanks mate! Although considering the quality installation job that you did putting in the dish for me in the 1st place ;) adding the rest was easy :)
    Apart from 16e... I see now why you recommended a 1mtr plus dish if I wanted that one ;)
    I think an elevation tweak might get it stronger but to be honest, I have everything else set up lovely and even that bird is actually very clear.
    But if I do try it and mess it up I know who I'll be calling ;)
    steveon wrote: »
    I'd hate to try and count all the channels you have now lol...
    And as for channels, I'm upto 8432 ;) Still nothing on though! haha

settopbox wrote: »

Motorised dish only good for one receiver
    Decent motors not cheap.
    Slow to switch satellite
    No good for true PVR + Watching unless you have TWO motorised dishes
    Multifeed can feed separate receivers or feed a distribution system.
    Multifeed (with Multiswitch or separate feeds) works with a Sky box, Motor doesn't.

I have 4x LNBs on 90/95cm Triax feeding Multiswitch with 16 outlets.

I also have a 110cm Motorised dish on a single separate set-box for more hobby activity etc up to 22 satellites approx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

watty wrote: »
    Motorised dish only good for one receiver
    Decent motors not cheap.
    Slow to switch satellite
    No good for true PVR + Watching unless you have TWO motorised dishes
    Multifeed can feed separate receivers or feed a distribution system.
    Multifeed (with Multiswitch or separate feeds) works with a Sky box, Motor doesn't.
    Plus the hassle of having to continuously realign a motorised dish if its in an exposed location .
    If I was starting over again I'd get a T90 dish ,motors are handy to have but completely unsuitable to the Irish climate.

Advertisement