Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mackerel fishing

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ryankmufc

June/July onwards around Dun Laoghaire.

Plenty of Mackerel around this time of year, caught 6 myself in DL couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

was over in Clogherhead on sunday evening caught 12 in about an hour and a half off the pier. But the seals are taking alot on people luckily i lost none to them this time. Im heading down to Courtown in Wexford today to do a spot of Bass fishing ill post with an update when i get back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Got 60 odd there on Sunday but the sizes are appalling - kept maybe 15-20 and even then they were on the suggy side. Inundated with small black pollock to the point where we were hooking 6 at a time every time we dropped, got a few 8-10lb brown pollock as well thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Got 60 odd there on Sunday but the sizes are appalling - kept maybe 15-20 and even then they were on the suggy side. Inundated with small black pollock to the point where we were hooking 6 at a time every time we dropped, got a few 8-10lb brown pollock as well thankfully

Where did you catch them?

Kippure wrote: »
    Where did you catch them?

Boat fishing off the south coast of Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Anything being caught in Howth?

Wheres the best place in Howth to fish for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ryankmufc

Does anyone know any information about mackerel?

For example do they swim close to surface or low,
    Close to shore or not,
    Whens the est time of day to catch them,
    What colour feathers work well etc.

Let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

ryankmufc wrote: »

Close to shore or not,

Let me know..

I usually go to West Clare to a couple of places, Bridges of Ross and Dunlicky. I cast off the cliffs with about 5 feathers and a heavy lead weight. When there's plenty of them you be hooking them up from their belly at times! but it doesn't matter what colour. Hard work from the cliffs though.

ryankmufc wrote: »

Close to shore or not,

Let me know..

Close to the surface, less risk of snagging pollack as well if you fish higher. Close to the shore, cliffs etc... are great. Turn of high tide in the evening is ideal, Green feathers I find work best but they'll go for bare hooks if they're going. Strangely enough, mackerel strips work fantastically as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

When does Mack's season tail off might go for one last go keep the frezzer full for the winter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Doesn't stop til around mid september ususally!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

It didnt stop here in Clogherhead until after October last year.Id say its the same as this year, your best chance is a few hundred metres off shore on a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

Loads caught off the prom in salthill yesterday evening,. almost jumping out of the water

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Was at the back of Spiddal pier last night and there was nothing doing. Saw one or two being caught but nothing substantial. Had heard the shoals had been in the previous two nights.

Maybe they've headed further inshore to the prom - doh..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Out 3 times this week to Monkstown Cork and not a bite any night. Using feathers, spinners etc. Nobody seems to be getting anything down there.

Tried Tarbert, Glin and Kilteary Piers on the Shannon Estuary tonight!!

Nothing doing =(

Really depressing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

I must say i find it comical that a thread on mackerel fishing is one of the busiest threads in the angling forum. Most anglers would consider mackerel fishing as "just getting bait". No skill involved, no set place or ground just lanch anx reel like mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

well Bud for lake fishing you can cast out at any lake. and be in a 50/50 chance.

were Mackerel you need tide times, and just pour luck. at the end of the day the Mackerel are getting low as session come and go.

Ya mackeral fishing is fun!!

I know a fair few that just go after these, and its basically for the craic!!

You meet some gas men on the piers, etc...

Tried river and lake fishing for a few years myself and got sick of it!!...

Plus fillet the mackeral, put them in the freezer and you got dinner for a few days a year!

Yes i used to find it fun fishing mackerel down the pier in Killybegs when i was about ten years old sitting on the bollard all day trying hawk eyes and feathers and the way too expensive lures and spinners and even the most enjoyable way of mackerel bait to catch mackerel was a great buzz but then the Western Endeavour and the Atlantic Challenge would come in the bay with four thousand tonnes of mackerel between the two of them and start pumping them out into bins beside me and it would sicken my happiness to be fair lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Doesn't stop til around mid september ususally!

I'm only just after grabbing my rod from home in the west. Still work heading out to DL or other parts on the east coast to catch some?

Yup still worth a try id sat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Plus fillet the mackeral, put them in the freezer and you got dinner for a few days a year!

Never fillet a Mackeral before you freeze it. Always freeze them as soon as possible and whole.

I dont get that? I work with mackerel and they are always filleted and then blast frozen. Blast freezers are the only way to freeze them whole because if you put a whole mack into a house freezer what happens is that the outside of him freezes first and the centre doesnt freeze right and it rots from the centre
    Never fillet a Mackeral before you freeze it. Always freeze them as soon as possible and whole.

rushnaldo wrote: »
    I dont get that? I work with mackerel and they are always filleted and then blast frozen. Blast freezers are the only way to freeze them whole because if you put a whole mack into a house freezer what happens is that the outside of him freezes first and the centre doesnt freeze right and it rots from the centre

I have always filleted my fish before freezing, nothing has ever happened to me and i will not stop my practise... Plus it saves space in my freezer!

Thats exactly what im saying yes. Unless you have a high powered blast freezer at home lol then you have to fillet them before freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Always clean your fish out as soon as you can, preferably in the salt water.

I would never freeze anyfish whole that wasnt intended for bait

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Had a bad mackerel fishing season so far.Lost alot of fish and broke my reel when I tried to land a full trace of 3.Hopefully I will be able to get a new reel before the season is over.

Advertisement