Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainwater in my Oil Tank

• 03-11-2009 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently discovered that the cover on my oil tank was knocked off for a while. I dont know how long and therefore don't know how much rain got in there.

The heating works fine now. My only worry is that it will ruin my boiler eventually.

Or will it be ok since oil floats on water and obviously there isn't enough rain water in there to reach the level of the feed to the boiler.

Oil is quite low now. Should I just go on with a fill and not worry about it?

Advice needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Steel tanks used to have a drain cock, which you just opened and drained out any water or sludge. Plastic tanks do not have this facility.
    You are probably OK because the outlet pipe is up a bit from the bottom of the tank.
    What you should do is get a small pump, get the hose down to the bottom of the tank and pump out any water that might be there.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Magown3

JamesM wrote: »
    Steel tanks used to have a drain cock, which you just opened and drained out any water or sludge. Plastic tanks do not have this facility.
    You are probably OK because the outlet pipe is up a bit from the bottom of the tank.
    What you should do is get a small pump, get the hose down to the bottom of the tank and pump out any water that might be there.
    Jim.

It's a plastic tank. I'll look into getting a small pump. Obiously you'll have to drain each groove in the tank.

Thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Be careful with the pump as the chances are that you will pump fuel as well and there is a risk. I find using a syphon is safer, to get the fuel/water moving in the first place use the top of a soap dispencer to pump the air out and draw up the fuel. If you use a clear pipe then you can see if its contaminated and when to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Leadership wrote: »
    Be careful with the pump as the chances are that you will pump fuel as well and there is a risk. I find using a syphon is safer, to get the fuel/water moving in the first place use the top of a soap dispencer to pump the air out and draw up the fuel. If you use a clear pipe then you can see if its contaminated and when to stop.

All good ideas there. You will bring fuel up as well, but you can separate that from the water and put most of it back.
    Jim.

See below

• Advertisement

Leadership wrote: »

I agree, good advice there. Didn't even think about the soap dispenser. Must get myself some clear tubing and then I'll be all set. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Advertisement