Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help: Pinhole leak in cold water pipe in Hot Press.

• 28-11-2015 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Weird damp patch appeared on kitchen ceiling today, Traced to tiny leak in Hot press, Cold water pipe has a tiny leak just below the join with another pipe.

Is there a quick and easy way I can fix this myself ? I won't be able to solder it but have noticed some info on little clamps that will act as a stopgap until I get a plumber out.

I have wrapped it as best I can with some tape to minimize the overnight effect

I have also turned off the cold water feed in an effort to reduce the water in the line. Will my central heating still work with this off? It's a gas system if that's any help.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

cw67irl wrote: »
    Weird damp patch appeared on kitchen ceiling today, Traced to tiny leak in Hot press, Cold water pipe has a tiny leak just below the join with another pipe.

Is there a quick and easy way I can fix this myself ? I won't be able to solder it but have noticed some info on little clamps that will act as a stopgap until I get a plumber out.

I have wrapped it as best I can with some tape to minimize the overnight effect

I have also turned off the cold water feed in an effort to reduce the water in the line. Will my central heating still work with this off? It's a gas system if that's any help.

Thanks in advance :)

You need to post a pic so you can be advised properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Robbie.G wrote: »
    You need to post a pic so you can be advised properly

Think I have it sorted, Cut out about 6 inches of pipe and replaced I with 2 push fit connections :)

Finger's crossed that does it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Think I have it sorted, Cut out about 6 inches of pipe and replaced I with 2 push fit connections :)

Finger's crossed that does it

Pinholes don't just appear for no reason on a pipe. You may have acidic water or something else causing it

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pinholes don't just appear for no reason on a pipe. You may have acidic water or something else causing it

The house is 15+ years old with us having been in it for 5. Would acidic water develop ? It could have been down to a weld weak spot as that was where the leak turned our to be at a join.

The house is 15+ years old with us having been in it for 5. Would acidic water develop ? It could have been down to a weld weak spot as that was where the leak turned our to be at a join.

What kind of pipe was it?

• Advertisement

Copper

Copper

What kind of weld are you talking about?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What kind of weld are you talking about?

Will post a pic of the piece I removed later :)

Advertisement