Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2006 X-trail

• 25-04-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭

I bought one yesterday as my wifes runabout only to bring it home and notice that the engine management light seems to have been tampered with, it's not making an appearance at all :eek: I know I made a major boo-boo not spotting but if the truth be know I was in awe of the condition of the vehicle. Extremely clean inside and out and very low mileage.

The vehicle is (I think) going in and out of limp home mode, mostly in it. She don't wanna move any more than 3k revs and 100 klm. I have it booked into Nissan dealer for diagnostic on Monday morning so time will tell how much of a spanking I'm gonna get :mad:

My own mechanic has mentioned mass airflow as a possible problem but has sai it could be several things. Quick look online last night came up with regulator valves as another potential issue.

Anyone have any similar experience with this model ? They are actually supposed to be a fairly reliable engine.

Make maters worse the nice fella I bought it off wouldn't answer his phone yesterday and now it's turned off completely. I'm not gonna ask him for my money back or anything but would like to ask him what he actually knows about the issues. It's my fault I didn't check enough and I'm aware I'll be going to the credit union for money to rectify whatever issues exist.

With any luck it won't be too bad, but if the management light has been deliberately "turned off" I suspect the solution may not be easy :(

Nissan diagnostics should cost what , €80-€100 ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Brought the Xtrail to a localish chap with diagnostic equipment yesterday, he couldn't get any reading at all from me. Sound lad we had a chat and he charged me nothing :)

This morning I decided to ramp up my efforts, during our conversation last Sunday the seller mentioned he worked for a company in a particular field, note taken. While completing the deal a pen was used to fill out the VLC with the name of a company in that particular field. I called them this morning and explained my situation to a lovely girl in their office. She knew of him and all I asked was that she pass on a message that he should contact me or there would be more to it. Within an hour the number, (On the blink all week) called my mobile explaining "my husband will call you this evening"

I'm gonna start by telling him i want my money back and we walk away or else my Uncle (A detective in Dublin ) will be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sorry to break it to you but you have no rights.
    Unless the tax or insurance was fraudulent then the problem is all yours.
    You could try and involve your relative but I don't see that its a criminal case at all.
    In fact if you do use him to threaten the other party then they would be quite within their rights to make a complaint to the garda ombudsman with possibly serious consequences for the detective involved.
    Basically you have no one to blame but yourself, as if the seller states that when they sold the vehicle to you it was perfect and you are simply suffering buyers remorse then what can you say to that?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but you have no rights.
    Unless the tax or insurance was fraudulent then the problem is all yours.
    You could try and involve your relative but I don't see that its a criminal case at all.
    In fact if you do use him to threaten the other party then they would be quite within their rights to make a complaint to the garda ombudsman with possibly serious consequences for the detective involved.
    Basically you have no one to blame but yourself, as if the seller states that when they sold the vehicle to you it was perfect and you are simply suffering buyers remorse then what can you say to that?

I know that alright. He told me the vehicle was perfect abd that it even has service history with mullingar nissan. I called them today and thwy never had the car in and never enployed the named signatures. That in my book is fraud. I do hear what youre saying but im not taking this sitting down. I know i shold have been more deligent believe me, im been beating myself up all feckin week about it.

Well he didn't call and after trying to call him the number is going straight to voicemail.

Note to all carbuyers be very careful when buying what seems like a good car. Even if the book has "service history" don't take it as truth. Call the garage there and then to confirm and trust no one. I for one will try to stick to locals when buying again.

Myneed to make contact with the seller is to try and find out more about the cars issues firstly.

The b**tard.

Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bensmyth

Most Cars today suffer with air mass problems and some don't show up on the computer as an error especially if the diagnostic computer is generic or not up to date.
    Some cars do go into limp home mode when the meter is faulty and if you stop the car for a period of time and restart it can reset the computer.
    If it were my vehicle I think id source an air mass meter and put it in see what happens. Speaking from experience I kind it is incredibly difficult to solve a problem that won't stay broken so it then comes done to just Trial and Error you replace an item see if it fixes it starting with the most common problematic component. I know it sounds amateurish but it is a fact that in any garages if a car has a problem that is intermittent with no error showing on a diagnostic computer the only option is to replace parts until the culprit is found.
    In regards to your problem with the guy you bought it from you probably do have a case as you do have rights when buying from private individuals too. However to prove anything and to get any result could take years so it's not really much of an option.
    I know it's to late now but I would suggest to anyone reading this that when buying a car privately it's best meet them at their house at least you know where they live if there ever is anything major.
    I'd be interested to see what happens keep us posted
    regards Ben

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I have a case of civil action against the fella but realise it will take along time and mightn't be worth the hassle. That's why I'm trying to communicate with the pr1ck but he won't answer or return my calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Yeah I think I have a case of civil action against the fella but realise it will take along time and mightn't be worth the hassle. That's why I'm trying to communicate with the pr1ck but he won't answer or return my calls.

I would be very surprised if you manged to get anything out of him. When buying a second hand car they are sold on an as seen bases with no guarantee.

db330 wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if you manged to get anything out of him. When buying a second hand car they are sold on an as seen bases with no guarantee.

Yes of course you are correct but the fact remains he specifically told me that the car was serviced in the local Nissan dealership. A Nissan dealer stamp on a service book looks more impressive than a small independent garage. It was a contributing factor in the purchase of the car. The service guy in the dealer in question tells me the car was NEVER serviced there. He reckons one of their stamps were stolen by an employee and used.

The seller not answering or returning my calls did nothing to encourage confidence in him or the car. I do believe I could bring a case against him but it wouldn't be worth it given the costs involved and length of time involved.

I had the car into Nissan for diagnostics yesterday and resolved the problem. It cost money but not as much as I feared it could have. If the seller had talked to me he could have known more than I did and put me at ease.

Not someone I would deal with again or recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

There is a remote possibility that you could pursue him for the cost of the repair through the small claims court.
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/WebPageCurrentWeb/37871905AEE98CAE8025715C0051B827?OpenDocument&l=en
    However you would have to show that he sold the car in the course of a business. It might be enough to show that he has sold other cars, even if it is only part-time, so Google his phone number, check donedeal etc. You would also have to get his address.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bensmyth

I had the car into Nissan for diagnostics yesterday and resolved the problem. It cost money but not as much as I feared it could have. If the seller had talked to me he could have known more than I did and put me at ease.

What was wrong with the Car after?

• Advertisement

Showed up fault code 0089 Fuel Pump. I had researched online possible issues and when the mechanic sugested replacing the suction control valve I said go ahead. As well as that he reckons the whole lights/speedo unit needs swapping to see what issue is with management light. Cost new from Nissan €700 + VAT :eek:

Advertisement