Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering my next step...

• 13-09-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, and thanks in advance.
    Here's my situation. I am 24 and living at home, both parents are older and on pensions.
    I left secondary school five years ago after completing my Leaving Certificate.
    I finished the first year of a bachelor degree course in college.
    Since then I was travelling and helping family/friends for work, nothing you would classify as an official job.
    I never applied or received Social Welfare as I felt it wouldn't be right.
    Now I am hoping to attend a FAS training course this coming October.

My question is about my next step, Do I apply for the FAS training course first and then for a back to education allowance from social welfare?
    Or does it depend on the FAS course? The course in question states on the website that:
    'No training allowance or other type of allowance or contribution will be paid; participants will retain their social welfare entitlements while on the course'.
    Or should I sign on with Social Welfare first?
    Your help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

To the best of my knowledge in order to participate on a FAS training course you have to be registered for SW. So your first step is apply for jobseekers allowance... from what you have said I dont think you will be eligible for jobseekers benefit unless you were paying an "a" class contribution. If you were working cash in hand you could run into some difficulties explaining where you were for the last 5 years. If you have been out of the country for any significant period of time you will have to fill out a Habitual Residence form as well.

Advertisement