Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for web designer

• 17-04-2014 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im looking for a webdesigner to put together an ecomerce site.
    I have the art work and rought design down on paper.
    The site would have up to ten seperate products for sale aswell as a few sections for artiles/education faqs etc.
    The site would also need the ability to link to paypal/mastercard/visa.
    I have feck all know how in this area and pricing a job like this is new to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 huligan

This would cost you about €750 if you want I can do it for you! - Not a CMS - All code by me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

huligan wrote: »
    This would cost you about €750 if you want I can do it for you! - Not a CMS - All code by me

Why on earth would you write a complete e-commerce solution from scratch? Do you seriously think something you knock together for €750 could possibly compare to the commercial off the shelf products that cost less and can be customised to specific requirements?

OP, there is a work wanted thread in either the design or development forum, you may want to PM a mod and ask them to move this post.

It depends on what you want if you want to use CMS which includes dirty code where half is unnecessary and which you will never SEO optimise and which is much slower of course you can use CMS + heavy plugins but I can create clean SEO optimised code which can be used and managed how client wants
    If you are not a wordpress or any other CMS person who thinks that they are web designers but actually do not understand anything from coding and programming then I think you know what I mean - I build quality can manage my code and can code CMS myself if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that someone offering to build an e-commerce site from scratch for €750 has the experience and depth of knowledge to do the job properly and securely. Caveat emptor.

It depends on what you want if you want to use CMS which includes dirty code where half is unnecessary and which you will never SEO optimise and which is much slower of course you can use CMS + heavy plugins but I can create clean SEO optimised code which can be used and managed how client wants
    If you are not a wordpress or any other CMS person who thinks that they are web designers but actually do not understand anything from coding and programming then I think you know what I mean - I build quality can manage my code and can code CMS myself if needed

I don't think anyone mentioned plugins or WordPress although to be honest I'd suggest those as an option for the OP to consider. Then again, I'm not trying to sell anything here.

It's impossible to take you seriously if you're suggesting you can build something that will compete with Shopify, Magento, Bigcommerce, Woocommerce for the budget you have quoted.

• Advertisement

There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that someone offering to build an e-commerce site from scratch for €750 has the experience and depth of knowledge to do the job properly and securely. Caveat emptor.

Before you take the Job you always read the specification right? - So this particular client wants basically max 5 page website where 1 page would be for product populated from database to as many product pages as he needs - hope you understand this - next he wants another basic pages - copy paste with his provided information + I believe he would want contact us page as well - so where is the problem - I do not even need to develop whole e-commerce website functionality where I believe half of features this client won't even need -
    +++++++ He has his own design in mind - This would be the problem for someone working with CMS but not me as I can work with photoshop illustrator as well and can create any design client wants + I have pre-written PHP class and function libraries from previous jobs + if client wants any front end functionality it is so easy to achieve now with new HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript couple lines of code - so where is the problem for all of you - this is my price for the job - Place your price if you are more professional and can offer better service and better price

You obviously didn't read the OPs thread closely so I'll point out the part where an experienced developer would immediately recognise that the client is likely to need significant help even tying down a spec:

OP, apologies for side tracking your thread. My recommendation to you is to go and look at some of the hosted ecommerce solutions to see if they fit your needs without requiring any significant up front payment. If they don't, then consider one of the packaged solutions and find an experienced developer/consultant to help you customise it.

Graham wrote: »
    You obviously didn't read the OPs thread closely so I'll point out the part where an experienced developer would immediately recognise that the client is likely to need significant help even tying down a spec:

OP, apologies for side tracking your thread. My recommendation to you is to go and look at some of the hosted ecommerce solutions to see if they fit your needs without requiring any significant up front payment. If they don't, then consider one of the packaged solutions and find an experienced developer/consultant to help you customise it.

I don't want to be smart or rude, but it seems to me that you are one of those who likes talking but when it comes to the job then -> ????
    Me the same as any other experienced developer would never make a client with no experience to type a spec - just to let you know :) -
    And next time read the title, it says -> Looking for web designer - NOT - > Looking for advice where to find one :) OR Place where developers need advice :) - if you are here to help then offer your service - Otherwise ->what are you doing here - Sorry!!! - Giving advices / Interrupting conversations :) that's why you have almost 2000 posts :)

All of that would be much more credible if you had actually contributed anything other than an advert for your services.

This is not a sales/work-wanted forum so I make no apologies for interrupting your sales pitch.
    Me the same as any other experienced developer would never make a client with no experience to type a spec - just to let you know :) -
    As an 'experienced developer' you're able to recognise that the client is going to need help defining his requirements while at the same time you appear to have no problem giving a definitive price for the unknown work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

'Not a CMS - All code by me' = sounds like the bad old client locked into you for changes. That doesn't cut the mustard these days.

As for doing up your own CMS, why? There's already plenty out there fit for many purposes. No need for reinventing wheels.

Lastly, as Graham has noted, you have zero credibility here, zero exchange, contribution or demonstration of knowledge just a sales pitch and confrontational know-it-all attitude with many inconsistencies and hints of shallow experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm guessing, with a quote of €750, you're allowing for a maximum of ten hours coding. Are you really suggesting you could come up with a cleaner, more optimised, solution, than any of the off-the-shelf CMSs, that have hundreds of thousands of man hours spent on development in that short space of time? To quote Matt Cutts (since you used WP as an example) - "WordPress takes care of 80-90% of search engine optimisation"

There is a time for custom pages, and this really doesn't sound like one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Get a load of this guy!!

Most "experienced developers" perform a requirements analysis, part of which requires the client to articulate what it is they are exactly looking for. Something you should be aware of.

Most "experienced developers" would not quote a client based on the little information that was posted by the OP.

Most "experienced developers" have more respect for the value of their work than to charge such a nominal fee like you have.

Most "experienced developers" show respect to one another and don't insult the industry with the half assed undervaluation approach that you have exhibited.

Most "experienced developers" look for the best solution to the problem (in this case a Shopify, Magento etc. CMS solution) rather than proposing a re-invention of the wheel.

The emperor clearly has no clothes...

Advertisement