Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stop pipes freezing this winter

• 16-10-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hope it's ok to put this in the bargain alerts section? Seen this in the advertiser this morning (page 48) and on paper (no pun intended :)) it seems a clever way to avoid having no running water this Xmas if it's anything like the last 2 years. I had no running water for 3 weeks both years so this would be a bargain if it does what it claims for me anyways. I know you can leave taps running all night but sure if everyone does that it's not a good idea for the city.

Anybody with any plumbing cop on know if this seems a good deal for €275?

http://www.freezeprotection.ie/mains-freeze-protector/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bindybandy wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to put this in the bargain alerts section? Seen this in the advertiser this morning (page 48) and on paper (no pun intended :)) it seems a clever way to avoid having no running water this Xmas if it's anything like the last 2 years. I had no running water for 3 weeks both years so this would be a bargain if it does what it claims for me anyways. I know you can leave taps running all night but sure if everyone does that it's not a good idea for the city.

Anybody with any plumbing cop on know if this seems a good deal for €275?

http://www.freezeprotection.ie/mains-freeze-protector/

Expensive waste of money,no scientific proof that it actually works,it restricts flow of water and also is an absolute biatch to fish down you're average 1/2 inch hydrodare mains water pipe that has any bends or turns in it.

Most houses suffer frozen pipes and flood dammage in their attic spaces,due to poor insulation and frost protection

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Would your sink have to be on an exterior wall to facilitate the sensor?

paddy147 wrote: »
    Expensive waste of money,no scientific proof that it actually works,it restricts flow of water and also is an absolute biatch to fish down you're average 1/2 inch hydrodare mains water pipe that has any bends or turns in it.

Most houses suffer frozen pipes and flood dammage in their attic spaces,due to poor insulation and frost protection
    Do you find the frost watch heaters for the attic any good?

Had a burst copper pipe in my attic last year. Dont want a repeat this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Would your sink have to be on an exterior wall to facilitate the sensor?

Sorry bud but I don't know to be honest I know nothing about it apart from the article in the advertiser and their website. Was thinking of giving them a ring to ask the questions and get it in for me and my parents if it seemed the genuine deal. They are elderly so can't be messing about really. I had to be bringing buckets of water over and back every day from a neighbour in the estate who still had water to be able to flush toilets and have showers etc so would like to avoid that this year really.

Do you find the frost watch heaters for the attic any good?

Had a burst copper pipe in my attic last year. Dont want a repeat this year!

The best solution to preventing a freezing cold attic and frozen pipes in an attic is propper INSULATION.

A frost watcher or infared lamp will help a bit,but rather pointless if you have no attic or pipe insulation at all.

I wouldnt be a fan of having a frost watcher heater plugged in up in an attic and left on all the time,for safety reasons.

But thats just me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Really? that's a shame then I was thinking it might not be something you could see if it worked until you were in the thick of the freeze and it's too late then once they are frozen but was hoping it would work.

The best solution to preventing a freezing cold attic and frozen pipes in an attic is propper INSULATION.

A frost watcher or infared lamp will help,but rather pointless if you have no insulation.

I wouldnt be a fan of having a heater plugged in up in an attic and left on all the time,for safety reasons.

But thats just me.:)
    I have the floor of the attic insulated between the rafters. In between roof joists are not. I thought the roof had to be allowed to breathe. i was going to just screw sheets of insulation board directly on to the joists and leave 6 inches at the bottom.

Is that spray on insulation expensive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from BA

I have the floor of the attic insulated between the rafters. In between roof joists are not. I thought the roof had to be allowed to breathe. i was going to just screw sheets of insulation board directly on to the joists and leave 6 inches at the bottom.

Is that spray on insulation expensive?

Anywhere from 15 euro a square meters upwards,depending on who you go with and how you get it installed.

The roof does breath,as its bio-foam 800 open cell foam,and theres also vent cards installed behind the spray foam insulation itself.The cards are installed 1st and then the spray foam is applied.

Thats fairly reasonable, dont fancy spending my days off in an attic with a battery drill and saw!

• Advertisement

Thats fairly reasonable, dont fancy spending my days off in an attic with a battery drill and saw!

The amount of extra heat the house holds is also quite noticable too,so theres more benifits from it,apart from preventing frozen pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The amount of extra heat the house holds is also quite noticable too,so theres more benifits from it,apart from preventing frozen pipes.

I can see the benefit of having the roof insulated in preventing frozen pipes in the attic but if your attic floor is insulated, is it not overkill as regards heat retention?

bmaxi wrote: »
    I can see the benefit of having the roof insulated in preventing frozen pipes in the attic but if your attic floor is insulated, is it not overkill as regards heat retention?

Overkill is my middle name so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your missing the thermo film to reflect the heat back in...

I,ll say no more now.

Maybe someone else might comment on what the OP has posted and shown in the link above.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

As this is an old thread I may be to late to advise you not to waste your money.
    If it's controlled by a air temp sensor then stay away.
    It will run constantly in freezing weather and could cause bacteria to growing your drinking water.

Also is the cable shielded and does it have an IPX8 rating for insertion in water?

Advertisement