Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Fillets served in delicatessen supermarkets

• 16-07-2014 9:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36

Hey
    Would the likes of chicken fillets served in a hot deli in tesco, dunnes stores etc. be in anyway a substantial amount of protein content?Are they in anyway good for you? They appear to be heavily processed so would I be better off sticking to standard chicken fillets off a butchers counter. Would you also know how many calories in one of the chicken fillets off a hot deli counter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Maybe 15-20 grams of protein in each one. 100gr whole chicken breast contains about 25 grams of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

1630 wrote: »
    Hey
    Would the likes of chicken fillets served in a hot deli in tesco, dunnes stores etc. be in anyway a substantial amount of protein content?Are they in anyway good for you? They appear to be heavily processed so would I be better off sticking to standard chicken fillets off a butchers counter. Would you also know how many calories in one of the chicken fillets off a hot deli counter?

Well you're definitely better off sticking to fresh ones from the butchers counter where possible.

It's hard to gauge what's in those processed deli ones though, then they're covered in breadcrumbs or some kind of batter to make it even more difficult. Overall, I doubt they're very protein dense.

Generally though, if a deli counter is your only option you could probably do a lot worse than a big lump of coated chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭COH

Could possibly compare them to the breaded chicken 'fillets' that they sell in Lidl which have a whopping 9g of protein PER FILLET.

Processed sh*t devoid of any positive nutritional value.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some sell the processed ones which attempt to look like real fillets, some don't. Price can be a tell tale sign, but nothing to stop them charging a lot for the cheapo ones.

People have gotten used to these €1.50-€2.50 chicken fillet baguettes, you will see people in the rip off forum moaning about places selling them for €4, which can simply be places selling real fillets.

Someone posted a link to a typical "fillet" ingredients list, it could not be worked out how much chicken was in it, but I think it could have been as low as 20% or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Crap really, chicken fillet rolls should be avoided at all costs, factoring in sauces and fillings you're looking at over 1000 calories - all for pretty much nothing of nutritional worth. The idea that these are even remotely "healthy" is complete rubbish. WRT the fillets themselves, I would almost always assume they are as crap as possible - they buy them in bulk so I'd agree with around 10g per fillet, it's highly unlikely they're using good quality stuff.

• Advertisement

this was it
    rubadub wrote: »
    And the common "chicken fillet baguette"
    What’s In The Chicken Breast In The Chicken Fillet Rolls In Spar?
    chicken.jpg

You cannot work out how much chicken is in it. The 51% is referring to ingredient, not the whole thing. So that list, in order of greatest and getting rid of the deliberately confusing brackets is,

Chicken, breadcrumbs, batter, vegetable oil, wheatflour, salt etc.

The "chicken" is top of the list, it might be 50% "chicken", so really ~25% of actual chicken in it.

-of course some chicken baguettes might be genuine, dunnes charge about 3.80 or 3.90 for them. The price is not always a definite indicator of course, but I would have more faith in dunnes. The pub prices might have been an indicator, if the kids menu had got fish fingers, chicken goujons & sausages all at aroundt he same price level I would be fairly sure its processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Crap really, chicken fillet rolls should be avoided at all costs, factoring in sauces and fillings you're looking at over 1000 calories

Source?

When I was attempting a bulk these things were absolutely useless for it. I really don't think they're very calorie dense at all. And yes I know rest of diet etc etc but point stands if you get one of these things in spar there's no way it's even close to that figure.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Source?

When I was attempting a bulk these things were absolutely useless for it. I really don't think they're very calorie dense at all. And yes I know rest of diet etc etc but point stands if you get one of these things in spar there's no way it's even close to that figure.

I'll have a look around for it later (may have even been here I read it) but AFAIK it was 650 for the chicken fillet + the white bread roll and then adding stuff like ketchup, butter, mayo, cheese, coleslaw etc. brings it up to 1000 depending on how much you go for.

Thanks, looks like my 1000+ is a bit off, maybe 800 for the average roll would be more accurate, my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Totally depends on the deli too.

If you get 40-50g of mayo and 40-50g of cheese a chicken filllet roll easily clears the 1000cal barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

rubadub wrote: »

Hmm that's surprising. I always thought they were pretty lousy calorie wise. Now I know they're just lousy macro wise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God, I loved chicken rolls! Stay well away from them now though, they don't really fill me up much at all before I'm hungry again. Usually I got from some cold chicken pieces in a wrap if I'm really craving a chicken roll! Little bit better anyway!

Advertisement