Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Embrace the Absurd-Street Portraits of strangers.

• 31-08-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I had read about street portraits, there are people in the world that revel in this sort of thing. You can see their work on Tumbler, Wordpress and Flickr demonstrating the talents that they have at spotting a shot and grabbing it. They Blog and tweet about it, how liberating it is, how they have never had a bad experience. The people they approach are always nice and always delight in having an impromptu portrait taken. I never believed these photographers. For me the notion is absurd, why would you want pictures of strangers, why would a stranger let you take their picture?

I like people, I love talking to strangers and generally I am the one in a crowd that will start a conversation with someone that is not expecting it, but taking a picture is completely different, so began a new goal in life, embrace the absurd. I headed out with my film camera with the notion that I could just walk up to a stranger and tell them that I wanted to take there photo. This for me proved to be difficult and I spent a bit if time wandering the streets of Dublin looking for someone to photograph.

Dublin is a good sized city and on a Saturday afternoon there are plenty of people knocking about but I found it very hard to find a photo. I took couple of shots of bands busking on the streets to build my confidence, singers want to be photographed, they love the attention. Soon I started to notice people in the crowds that to me looked interesting, a Father with his Daughter on his shoulders, two girls with a mountain of shopping, a man collecting for charity. I spotted a man that was standing enjoying a fire eaters antics and I decided that he should be immortalised on my Flickr stream.

I walked up to him and asked could I take his picture, he told me to go ahead and then posed like it was his job. He did not ask why I wanted it, who I was or what I was planning on doing with his image, he just walked off. Picture taken and since I had not been killed I repeated the exercise until my roll of film was spent.

I still don’t know why I want pictures of strangers, I still think it is absurd, but I now know why some people enjoy this so much.

Camera:Nikon F401x
    Film: Kodak TRI-X 400
    Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D
    Dev: HC110 (B) 4.5min 20c

6100738699_c2bd6a1e88_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

This man does just this, you should definitely check him out, he gives the stranger a business card with his details like his website so they can see the result. https://plus.google.com/108439032486286528947/posts

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I do it regularly! The buzz from it is amazing. It pushes you WAY outside your comfort zone.
    Would I ever hang a photo of a stranger that I've taken on my wall? Not a chance.

Do I love taking pics of complete strangers? Abso-fooking-lutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I do this as well. I will agree with you its slightly absurd, like the idea of asking a complete stranger "can I take your photo?" The thing is though thats nothing to do with anybody but yourself and how you feel. My idea behind it all.. in 20 years time your going look at these pictures and have a totally different opinion on them.

The buzz is awesome! When you get a shot of a complete stranger who looks very interesting is the best thing ever. Id never hang them on my wall either. A gallery/exhibition maybe but not my wall.

I tend not to get up close but tonight I was talking to a taxi man and got a little closer:

6101762746_eab8fcb672_z.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

I've just finished an interesting book on this area of photography.

It has loads of insight and hints on how to approach people and also discussion of the technical aspects .

Its called "Going Candid" and its available as a free ebook here:

http://www.85mm.ch/Book/Books.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I posted this in the off topic thread-
    Free online book about streetphotography by Thomas Leuthard
    http://book.85mm.ch/CollectingSouls.pdf

Eric Kim is also worth following, he's also on Facebook and lots of people post their street photo on his page/wall. Worth checking out.

here's one from me:
    0D3406C26A8B451198CAE6AFCA9EA686-0000332953-0002490014-00480L-849D3D4AEF294243BB4F1F5A8D5D2425.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

2 of mine, I'll do more some day, love the feeling of getting a great photo without the need for organization,models etc.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011/210/9/5/wargws_by_sic_side_fx-d422rfp.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/177/d/2/oldman_forum_post_by_sic_side_fx-d3k3e4p.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Wow there's some amazing pictures here.

I also like the fact that you engage with your subject and ask for permission. I have been subjected to many walk-by shootings where people just take my picture without saying a word, then ignore my remarks and walk off. That's really rude, it always makes me feel like a monkey in a zoo.

I wouldn't mind if I was a street performer or a seriously good-looking dude, but I was always in a quiet corner minding my own business.

Anyway, rant over. Like I said, some of the pictures here are really amazing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Street stuff (with strangers) is certainly way out of my own comfort zone - but occasionally I get up the gumption to interact. I'm not sure how satisfying I find it TBH, as it can be quiet hard to step outside my own little bubble. Is the momentary anxiety worth the end result... ? I guess it is sometimes. Other times - not. But like a lot of things, if you go in sounding confident (not cocky) then people are probably more likely to play along a bit.

Had to pose these guys for this, but they were crying out for it, standing there in black and white sporting snazzy bowler hats
    BA3E908E75CE41BF99E423AD08BCD6D0-0000314448-0002273382-00640L-EE2E00364B244D90BCD94F5EFC68C902.jpg

15 minute conversation with this guy explaining to him that he def would be able to hang from the rail of a moving bus
    5757318A00404AC99718D53AB4F8CA3F-640.jpg

Thought these aul dudes deserved to be recorded for posterity
    303AD0563E4F4FCE8575D38D8CB41BE4-640.jpg

School kids crossing road and they started playing up to the camera. Shot off a few shots, but this one'd be my fav
    49D81E22903240F79329CBE8525A7D89-640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Stealing a moment is even more fun....

5449883091_5547e6cbc4_z.jpg

5392519243_c9a4a896b2_z.jpg

5263405277_963e95a5a3_z.jpg

5261221777_ff93231c31_z.jpg

5235120984_fb28f8351e_z.jpg

4225479487_75a718accb_z.jpg

Who needs permission......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

bullpost wrote: »
    Its called "Going Candid" and its available as a free ebook here:
    http://www.85mm.ch/Book/Books.html
    dinneenp wrote: »
    I posted this in the off topic thread-
    Free online book about streetphotography by Thomas Leuthard
    http://book.85mm.ch/CollectingSouls.pdf
    Leuthard irks me. There is no denying that his photos are good in comparrison to other folk shooting Street but his method of achieving them leaves me a bit cold. He's not recording life on the street but he's provoking it. By getting in so close the majority of his subjects have an expression of shock/fear/bewilderment/anger/mistrust in their faces.
    I've no problem with those raw emotions, I just don't like being the one to cause them.
    I step back a bit and stay as inconspicious as I can.

6080651061_497723db20.jpg
    IMG_8490_edited-1 by 50mm prime on a cropped sensor

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with you up to a point.

He certainly revels in the macho in your face side of street photography but in fairness to him he also advocates a low key, inconspicuous approach in the book I read.
    Having looked at the photos in the book again with this in mind, it seems to me there is a fair representation of images where the subject is unaware that they are being photographed.
    He certainly is no Bruce Gilden.

My own take on it is if you ask you wont capture the spontaneous nature of street life, which to me make the most interesting images.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Leuthard irks me. There is no denying that his photos are good in comparrison to other folk shooting Street but his method of achieving them leaves me a bit cold. He's not recording life on the street but he's provoking it. By getting in so close the majority of his subjects have an expression of shock/fear/bewilderment/anger/mistrust in their faces.
    I've no problem with those raw emotions, I just don't like being the one to cause them.
    I step back a bit and stay as inconspicious as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I do it regularly! The buzz from it is amazing. It pushes you WAY outside your comfort zone.
    Would I ever hang a photo of a stranger that I've taken on my wall? Not a chance.

Do I love taking pics of complete strangers? Abso-fooking-lutely!

Completely agree, incredible buzz, even as you walk up to ask the question, wondering how they will react. I started because it pushes me out of my comfort zone. I started doing it as part of my project 365, because it's something I had not really done before and one reason behind my 365 is to push myself to try new things.

I have actually ended up selling two prints of such shots:

AB654700458144C9BA1253D72EC7658B-0000336212-0002271560-00800L-7744448C38DD4E159EB9A5E26CA9BDC9.jpg

138C9038D41D48219511383091C70F1A-0000336212-0002290923-00800L-FD35532B80E44B5C90FB2BC565AA6742.jpg

I think you often need to shoot and ask for permission after.
    Example: I was in a shopping center in Galway, there were to old ladies sitting down eating 99s. There was no way of shooting without them seeing me (usless I shot at waist level and pretended I wasn't but in was a fairly enclosed space and quiet so they'd probably have spotted me anyway)

So I asked could I take their photo, they said yes. I told them to ignore me and chat away but of course that never works. They kept looking at me and smiling. So I got a 'grand' photo but not what I wanted- natural capture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Fantastic thread and great images.

A few questions
    1) Do you folk sit and wait?
    2) If someone sees what you are doing and objeCts what do you do?
    3) I really like faces in photos so would you go up and ask someone can I take your photograph for a project I am doing or how would this be best approached. I think generally People watching while in around Dublin is facinating but not sure I have the nerve.

trooney I think you images of the elderley people is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I usually walk about town and if something catches my eye I'll shoot it.

I will usually take some time and talk to them. Tell them what I was doing and if they still don't like it I usually delete the shot (you're not obliged to though)

3) I really like faces in...... nerve.
    Most people you ask don't mind having their shot taken. Think about it this way, you go up to somebody "Do you mind if I take you photograph?". The worst they can say is 'no' and you walk on....

A few more from that day

Dublin-Faces-24.jpg

Dublin-Faces-15.jpg

Dublin-Faces-6.jpg

Dublin-Faces-22.jpg

LeoB wrote: »

A few questions
    3) I really like faces in photos so would you go up and ask someone can I take your photograph for a project I am doing or how would this be best approached. I think generally People watching while in around Dublin is facinating but not sure I have the nerve.

I bent done much yet but I'd walk around. Currently I'm mainly using a 70-200 f2.8, which is 'cheating' some people say or not real street photography. Maybe I'll move to a shorter lens when I'm more comfortable.

If someone seea me taking their pic I nod at them and raise my camera to say 'cheers, I took your photo' and to let them know I'm not trying to hide it.

If they object I talk to them
    And explain it's just for personal use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I tend to use nothing longer than my 50mm (on a full frame) or even my 16-35 so I'm usually pretty close. A lot of the time I'll show them the result on the back of the camera and even ask them if they'd like a copy emailed to them.

The 70-200 is a super people portrait lens but can look very intimidating in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

LeoB wrote: »

A few questions

I usually walk around and if I spot someone interesting ill go ask. The only time ill wait around one area is, if the light is good or the background is interesting.

I don't usually take off the cuff shots of people I don't know.. Unless they are doing something incredibly interesting!

Just say its for a project. That's what I say but the thing is I am doing a project I have about 20 of the same style photos of complete strangers. I dunno if id lie to them. Its a bit cheap.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Something i enjoy doing, but don't do enough of.

What i like to do is single out a particular kind of person, as it gives me more of a plan and a theme to things - and to a certain extent makes the awkwardness of asking them if i can take their picture a little less.

These are from a series on people smoking outside for example.

5519965281_58eaf6e879.jpg

5520558690_a8f73ec20b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

People smoke a lot....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We only smoke outside to give the photographers images to shoot. :)

Have to say that smoking a cigar/pipe outside seems to be a feckin' camera magnet. Luckily I'm a narcissist and crave the attention.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I've been trying to get into this the last few months, but unfortunately I just haven't managed to build up the confidence to do it.

Another reason is that I've been struggling to settle on the argument in this thread. Personally I much much prefer the "candid" approach, not asking for permission. The images have a much greater impact. I don't think I'd have any interest in Street Portraits. However, candid shots are basically you being an asshole and somewhat invading someone's privacy (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

People smoke a lot....

Yes, yes they do - and in this case they had all been people who had stepped outside of their place of work, or taken a break from shopping etc in order to have a quick fag.

Because they were stationary it made it easier for me to approach them.

It's just a simple tip for people who want to go down the street portrait route but are unsure how to approach people thats all.

(And printing them all at 2x3 on rough paper and sticking them into a fag packet as part of the hand in seemed to go down very well ;))

I'm probably at a similar point to you.

However the way I look at it is that anyone who ventures on to the streets these days effectively sacrifices their privacy as a result of the all pervasiveness of CCTV etc.

As long as I can justify what I do by saying I am not interested in intruding on someones privacy but more so interested in capturing street life (and I know there is a thin divide between those two) then I can probably live with it. If someone objects to what I do I will stop and back down.
    Jim wrote: »
    I've been trying to get into this the last few months, but unfortunately I just haven't managed to build up the confidence to do it.

Another reason is that I've been struggling to settle on the argument in this thread. Personally I much much prefer the "candid" approach, not asking for permission. The images have a much greater impact. I don't think I'd have any interest in Street Portraits. However, candid shots are basically you being an asshole and somewhat invading someone's privacy (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

I love street portraits, candid or posed. Sadly I haven't gotten to shoot much lately due to work. I'm back to college soon though so I should have more time to hit the streets:D. Here's a shot I took of a busker in January.

Sorry if the image link is a bit messy, it's my first time posting an image and I'm extremely confused!

[IMG]5375823412_348eafb23a.jpg
    Castle Market 21-1-11 by David Mark Greene, on Flickr[/IMG]set-72157625720130217

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

6107930524_0d82ffc518_z.jpg
    Shot in Bray..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I love street portraits, candid or posed. Sadly I haven't gotten to shoot much lately due to work. I'm back to college soon though so I should have more time to hit the streets:D. Here's a shot I took of a busker in January.
    he seems to object to being photographed?

@dave66: how dis you sell them? Gave the people your card or mentioned your website to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Was taking shots of the Aviva stadium from the canal and turned around to spot this, thought it was a heartwarming "kodak" moment.

D323A18CD86943AC8090B201018CB896-0000343179-0002373508-00800L-6799CAE58964409C92FF0D192222D617.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

he seems to object to being photographed?

Yeah he wasn't happy. Interesting that his objection made the photo, well I think it did anyway.

Advertisement