Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Tax Fraud

• 25-05-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

How do you go about reporting tax fraud to Revenue. I know this couple who are milking the system,
    • Working while claiming the dole
    • Single mothers allowance while married/engaged
    • Got a house from the government cause she is unmarried mother

I am pissed off as for the last few years they have milked the system dry and I feel, its time they paid up !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Ring the social welfare office. Hate people like that. Probably telling everyone aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭moomoocow

Know people like that been thinking of reporting them but only have there name could you still report them? Or if you did would anything actually come of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 flood18

May i just say your dame right to want to report them.

I'm sick of hearing about people getting house's off the goverment and been given money right left and centre. some of them even get bills paid and are only haven kids for this reason!!!!!!

There is very few people out there that should get a house.

I'm so annoyed because me and my boyfriend wants to settle down together and get a house he's on the dole which he hate!!!! I have a job but there is no way we can get a house off the goverment or even think about getting a house cause they want so much as a deposit and everthing else. Its so hard for young people to get a start because of people like them unmarried mothers who get ****ing everything.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Of course, by now the family reported have long since been homeless thanks to the intervention of the uber citizen.

How did ye find this thread ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I reported someone to social welfare who was defrauding social welfare. You don't even have to give your name though I'd no problem with that if needed and social welfare were very appreciative of all information given.

I only regret that I didn't do it sooner. The person I reported was a scumbag and made the lives of my neighbours and my family hell but the final straw was when there was an armed drugs raid that we had enough. Fortunately they were moved and we have peace again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yellosub1940

Ring the social welfare office. Hate people like that. Probably telling everyone aswell

if u do report them but u get it wrong and they are paying tax will u get into trouble for reporting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

if u do report them but u get it wrong and they are paying tax will u get into trouble for reporting them?

If the report is anonymous , you cannot get into trouble .

You will only have your own conscience to deal with .

Make sure your own affairs are in order first .

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

How do you go about reporting tax fraud to Revenue. I know this couple who are milking the system,
    • Working while claiming the dole
    • Single mothers allowance while married/engaged
    • Got a house from the government cause she is unmarried mother

I am pissed off as for the last few years they have milked the system dry and I feel, its time they paid up !

this is ok? you think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Detstvo

I think it was on another thread that the consensus seemed to emerge that most people wouldn't report people for minor types of fraud and would be far less to report people who they are personally close to. Well, I'm seriously contemplating reporting someone I've been friends with for over 10 years and who was a guest at my wedding. Though he has mentioned various irregularities in his financial affairs to me over the years, the straw that is threatening to break the camel's back is a recent phone call we had. I have known for a long time that he owns a large property abroad from which he earns substantial rental income, which he does not declare on his tax returns here. But he told me in the recent phone call that he and his wife have just been granted medical cards. This phone call happened in a week in which I spent €350 on medical bills for myself and my two children, none of which can be recouped under the €2000-per-annum health insurance policy which I pay for. Add in the stress and sleep deprivation involved in looking after two young children who are very sick and you can maybe guess how I felt. Add into the mix that he also mentioned that he wouldn't be paying a €700 bill for a recent hospital stay on the basis that he had asked around and had got the impression that they don't tend to pursue people with much vigor for hospital bills, and his statement that "I didn't pay the household charge or the '**** tax' either" because most people he asked said they hadn't paid them. If he can get away with that, then the system is doomed to failure and people who play it by the book are mugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Detstvo wrote: »
    I think it was on another thread that the consensus seemed to emerge that most people wouldn't report people for minor types of fraud and would be far less to report people who they are personally close to. Well, I'm seriously contemplating reporting someone I've been friends with for over 10 years and who was a guest at my wedding. Though he has mentioned various irregularities in his financial affairs to me over the years, the straw that is threatening to break the camel's back is a recent phone call we had. I have known for a long time that he owns a large property abroad from which he earns substantial rental income, which he does not declare on his tax returns here. But he told me in the recent phone call that he and his wife have just been granted medical cards. This phone call happened in a week in which I spent €350 on medical bills for myself and my two children, none of which can be recouped under the €2000-per-annum health insurance policy which I pay for. Add in the stress and sleep deprivation involved in looking after two young children who are very sick and you can maybe guess how I felt. Add into the mix that he also mentioned that he wouldn't be paying a €700 bill for a recent hospital stay on the basis that he had asked around and had got the impression that they don't tend to pursue people with much vigor for hospital bills, and his statement that "I didn't pay the household charge or the '**** tax' either" because most people he asked said they hadn't paid them. If he can get away with that, then the system is doomed to failure and people who play it by the book are mugs

Report him for it. He should be declaring the income from his overseas property and this is what revenue are going after big time. Its not fair people like yourself and others who have to fork out hard earned money to pay for medication and hospital bills etc when he can say f*ck it im not paying because no one else is and he gets the medical card with him hiding his tidy income from the overseas house.

I'm just curious how he gets paid for this property? Is it lodged into his account which im guessing looked at when he got medical card or does he have it going into a seperate account he keeps hidden?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Please do not bring up dead threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement