Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I buy British whenever I can and drive past quite a few "Irish" stores to get to the Tesco Extra in Arklow, better all round I even like walking around it... I find the Irish equivalents to be either inferior and / or over priced... so I avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ibuprofen

Noffles wrote: »
    I buy British whenever I can and drive past quite a few "Irish" stores to get to the Tesco Extra in Arklow, better all round I even like walking around it... I find the Irish equivalents to be either inferior and / or over priced... so I avoid them.

Actually....Tesco are the dearest supermarket stores where they havn't brought in change for good....... From the latest price check there's no difference between tesco and dunnes in stores ion the stores that have.

It's remarkable that tecso had to source from Britian to lower their prices ''matching the north's prices'' :D and yet havn't come below the other stores. They seem to have forgotten to bring in the change for good in some stores too..woopsie:rolleyes:.

By all means support your own, and prop up the english economy ..they need it...I think I'll be shopping elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

is it just me or has anyone noticed that Tesco have removed some of their previously stocked "value" products, forcing people to buy the same product but at a higher price, ie Tesco own brand or branded product. They might be cutting prices, but by using stratagies like this and reducing selection they will make up the difference in no time.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

today - 10th feb 2011 - i could not buy irish cabbage in my local tesco. all spanish and this is the height of our cabbage growing season. what are they at ? what about their carbon footprint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

check ur reciepts,I caught them out mainly on wines that were suppose to be half price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dobh wrote: »
    today - 10th feb 2011 - i could not buy irish cabbage in my local tesco. all spanish and this is the height of our cabbage growing season. what are they at ? what about their carbon footprint ?

You could always grow your own.

I have already dug the bed to do so. In any event I wrote to them complaining - received back a standard letter. I wrote again saying they did not deal with my two queries re irish cabbage and their carbon footprint. my complaint has been sent to the buying team to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dobh wrote: »

aslong as i get the cheapest cabbage i couldn't really give a fook, and i'd say most people feel the same

aslong as i get the cheapest cabbage i couldn't really give a fook, and i'd say most people feel the same
    +

interesting way of looking at it. quite profound. i presume you are happily employed here in ireland and not the slightest bit concerned about other peoples job prospects here. ah well, i hope it stays fine for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

yeh, thats the kinda spirit we need to help get 450k people working again. farming in the uk has been destroyed by tesco and they are in the process of doing it over here. i know farmers who supply all the supermarkets, even aldi and lidl, and they all say tesco are impossible to deal with. i.e ring them to say they are doing b.o.g.o.f and the farmer will be supplying twice as many cabbages at the same money. if he says no he loses the contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I think that is the most arrogant post I have ever seen on boards. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

enricoh wrote: »
    yeh, thats the kinda spirit we need to help get 450k people working again. farming in the uk has been destroyed by tesco and they are in the process of doing it over here. i know farmers who supply all the supermarkets, even aldi and lidl, and they all say tesco are impossible to deal with. i.e ring them to say they are doing b.o.g.o.f and the farmer will be supplying twice as many cabbages at the same money. if he says no he loses the contract

yes and that cabbage was already probably twice the price you would get it for in aldi and lidl in the first place. the farmer gets feck all for it while tesco is usually way more expensive for fruit and veg. their so call value fruit and veg line is pure sh*te, yet they say it compares to the aldi lidl range of fruit and veg. eg tesco value mushrooms 99c tesco own brand mushrooms 1.19..aldi/lidl mushrooms 99c.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I think that is the most arrogant post I have ever seen on boards. :eek:
    i think you need to read a lot more threads cos there's plenty worse than that. :pac:

unfortunately, its the attitude most people have these days in all areas of life. if it doesn't directly and negatively affect me then i don't care.

at the end of the day, the world is a constantly changing place and if your company can't make a profit doing what it does in its industry then it shouldn't be there at all. businesses fail every day for that very reason, but new businesses spring up out of the ashes that ARE competitive and do well, either with a cheaper product, or a better one (or both).

shame on tesco? shame on irish businesses for milking their consumers for years and then crying when they've grown fat & lazy off them and can't compete in an open market and THEN try and use emotional blackmail and some misplaced notion of national pride to guilt trip everyone into still paying more for the same thing just because 'it's irish'. fcuk them, they shouldn't be in business if they can't compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

mogdog wrote: »
    dont see the prob , if an irish firm cant supply goods cheaper then an english of a french one ( considering cost of transport etc ) . long and short of it is simple if the irish cant compete eg: price wise with its eu counterpart , where would u shop ?? or do you even look to see where goods are sourced from ?.
    Excelsior, my good man. You are the very reason why this recession isn't going anywhere soon. You and the idiot politicos who live in their own la-la land of plenty.

Excelsior, my good man. You are the very reason why this recession isn't going anywhere soon. You and the idiot politicos who live in their own la-la land of plenty.
    why are you replying to a post from 2009 posted by someone who only has 3 posts and probably hasn't been here for years? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco cuts prices soon after raising them
    Tesco increased the prices of some well-known products significantly just weeks into the new year before reducing them as part of a 1,000-product price promotion launched yesterday..

Who'd have ever thought? Good to see the IT's consumer correspondent keeping their eyes open instead of blindingly taking press releases at their word.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Who'd have ever thought? Good to see the IT's consumer correspondent keeping their eyes open instead of blindingly taking press releases at their word.
    no he didn't, if you read the whole article he got it from and industry magazine in the UK called "The Grocer".

still, it is good to see that somebody is at least keeping an eye on them, even if nothing ever comes of it.

Advertisement