Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs staff taking my money and putting my straw in my drink???

• 07-11-2012 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lovebug

Has anyone else noticed this with Supermacs... especially at the Drive Thru's. You pay for your food be it card or cash and I noticed in one particular drivethru in the midlands area that the girl took my cash, handed me my change and was organising the drinks herself. Supermacs staff put the straw in the drink container themselves, this means they're handing your cash and then putting the straw that you'll be putting to your lips in your drink... This must be against all health and safety regulations??? Can anyone else help here....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm really not trying to wind you up when I say this but if you are this paranoid about your food, should you be eating in supermacs?

Considering you handed the money over yourself and the majority of people eat the food with their own hands?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Do you usually wash your hands after putting your change in your pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You see this frequently. If someone is handling food, straws etc. they should not be handling cash or anything else for that matter. My favourite one is Spar / Centra delis - gloves on for food prep, then they do all sorts including using the phone and don't change the gloves.

Ask to speak to the manager and if you get no joy make a complaint.

Its one thing to be a bit lax at home - its quite another for a restaurant to be doing it. Its all 'ah sure it'll be grand' until someone vulnerable dies from food poisoning.

I handle money daily, use my phone daily and I eat food daily without wearing any gloves at all, never had food poisoning. Must be a xmas miracle.

I handle money daily, use my phone daily and I eat food daily without wearing any gloves at all, never had food poisoning. Must be a xmas miracle.

The contamination you put on your food is from you - your body already has a defence. Would you let me do a pooh and then make you a sandwich without washing my hands?

• Advertisement

The contamination you put on your food is from you - your body already has a defence. Would you let me do a pooh and then make you a sandwich without washing my hands?

No but he probably also wouldn't do it himself either.

What has that got to do with anything? Did the supermacs staff take a dump before taking the OPs order and not wash their hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The thing is, you are used to your own bacteria, others might not. Secondly, you are unlikely to be feeding hundreds of people today, people in restaurants are.

No but he probably also wouldn't do it himself either.

So is it possible in a restaurant paying minimum wage that someone at sometime has done it and the touched a surface or phone? Is it possible that no one has ever sneezed and then grabbed a fiver out of their wallet without first washing their hands?

Food safety is there for a reason - people doing food prep should have gloves on and only be doing food prep. Not taking cash and not answering phones. Irish regs even require that food prep places have different toilets for staff and customers.

What has that got to do with anything? Did the supermacs staff take a dump before taking the OPs order and not wash their hands?

How do you know that someone handing them money hasn't just done exactly that? I've had money handed to me with all sorts of stuff on - I've had a member of staff handed money with blood on that they didn't notice. Do you want Hepatitis with your 7 up?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The real problem i have is when they put the straws in for delivery.I know it probably never happens but what if the driver decided to take a nice little sip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lovebug

I think it's been said quite clearly above. Deli counters are quite the culprit here as well. Using gloves and thinking that they are completely shielded from germs etc but if you're using the same gloves etc the gloves start to pick up contamination. This isn't about what I'd do at home it's what you expect from these establishments. If Burger King, KFC & McDonald's can use individually packaged straws why can't Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Whoever owned the banknote before me could have made a poo then handled the note, sneezed on it, then folded it nicely in their breast pocket right beside hairy armpits. 2 transactions later, I am the owner and handler of said banknote. The cashier also had pooed and not washed her hands, and sneezed on her cash drawer, previous to handing me my change.
    Now I'm going to eat my Supermac meal on the go, I haven't washed my hands, and oh halleluia, I will survive.

If I was immunocompromised, or buying food for someone who is, I would be twice as careful where I purchase, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 28dayslater

Thats it I'm not eating anymore

Thats it I'm not eating anymore

Interesting choice of name given the topic :D

Victor wrote: »
    The thing is, you are used to your own bacteria, others might not. Secondly, you are unlikely to be feeding hundreds of people today, people in restaurants are.

Restaurant workers often don't wear gloves, seems to be a deli thing. People working in actual kitchens preparing food don't wear gloves in my experience.
    How do you know that someone handing them money hasn't just done exactly that? I've had money handed to me with all sorts of stuff on - I've had a member of staff handed money with blood on that they didn't notice. Do you want Hepatitis with your 7 up?

Like I said, I handle money every day. Money that OTHER people have handled before me and yet I still haven't ever had food poisoning, or hepatitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They probably shouldnt do it, its not good practice. On the other Hand (no pun intended) they prob wash their hands more in one day and use anti bac foams then a "normal" person would do in a week.

In the big scheme of things its a minor detail. It amuses me to see people who come in with dirty overalls/hands will happily eat their lunch in the car and if there is a problem they will assume that its the shops/takeaways fault.

a person complained that there was a hair in her roll- came in giving out yards that the girl who made her roll had no hair net and that we would be reported.
    I pointed out that it was a red hair and that she was the only person with red hair was her.

so basically it was our fault that her hair fell into her roll.

Op by all means complain if you are not happy, its a minor thing but if you arent happy then take it furthur.

Like I said, I handle money every day. Money that OTHER people have handled before me and yet I still haven't ever had food poisoning, or hepatitis.

Clearly like most retailers you've built up a better immunity than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I worked in Supermac's for a few years (oh, the shame!) and this happens ALL the time.

Staff are supposed to use hand sanitizer straight after handling money, but rarely do. They sanitize every 20 minutes, but they're supposed to do it each time they handle money, as well.

I'm gonna be totally honest though - that is one of the least disgusting things that will ever happen in Supermac's. :pac:

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I worked in Supermac's for a few years (oh, the shame!) and this happens ALL the time.

Staff are supposed to use hand sanitizer straight after handling money, but rarely do. They sanitize every 20 minutes, but they're supposed to do it each time they handle money, as well.

I'm gonna be totally honest though - that is one of the least disgusting things that will ever happen in Supermac's. :pac:

TBH doesn't matter where you go. I know a guy who used to be a kitchen porter in a very well to do hotel. The stories... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Gee, there's a lot of paranoia in this thread.:rolleyes:

Gee, there's a lot of paranoia in this thread.:rolleyes:

And now some mindless pandering :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

For gawd sake....... How do you know the nice deli person who wears 'clean' gloves to make your sandwich didn't come to work with same gloves stuffed down their pants?. You don't. How many people do you know were made ill from something supplied in a Spar or Centra food counter?. Certainly not enough that it's been reported in the news.

As some poster said, if you're that paranoid, you can probably find a fault with evey step of the cooking process if you're not making the food yourself, and should probably only eat irradiated pre digested goo from a vaccuum saeled pod for sustainance.

And having said that, food preparation companies are subject to FAR stricter policies relating to hygiene than you'll ever get at home. Its said that most accidents happen at home, and I suspect the same is true for food poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Now, this doesn't bother me, I'll eat the snot out of a dead man's nose :cool:, but my ex-Girlfriend/current-Wife has made us leave restaurants and shops where they've ignored health regs. :(

The Portlaoise supermacs being one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I touch myself and eat Smokey Bacon burgers and garlic cheese chips. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Crazy idea, ask them not to put straws into your drink when you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Crazy idea, ask them not to put straws into your drink when you order.

Begone, with your unorthodox thinking!! Begone to McDonalds, where the straws come wrapped in paper!.

Then again, the paper on the straw was touched by the counter person, so if I touch it, then touch my food, aren't we back to square one?.

Someone think of the children!

Advertisement