Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hijab, Niqab or Nothing interview

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

But is that not pleasureful, at least in the long term? When I say pleasure, I don't necessarily mean something that is instantaneously gratifying (although it can be). I mean something that makes you happy and increases the quality and harmony of your life (because those things generally lead to you being more happy). You do things for the will of god, because you believe that its better for the world to act in his will (ie that it will increase everyone's happiness and quality of life) and because it will ensure your entrance into heaven, where you get eternal happiness.
    So is that a problem or solution for problems? -- You don't eat to feed other -- Is that a problem or solution... You resist unnecessary temptations -- Is that a problem -- What i am saying, the thing makes you perfect human... I know 100 perfection isn't possilbe but it makes you 80 to 70 % perfect human.. It enables you to resist all kinds of unnecessary temptations,-- It helps you control impatience, anger, wastage of live, slavery to pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dead one wrote: »
    what creates sadness, pleasures... wisdom begets wisdom

How do pleasures create sadness? If pleasures create sadness, what creates happiness?

So you deny yourself pleasure when you don't need to, so that you can do it when you do need to? Except that you do it all your life, so that you can stop doing it when you die and get into heaven, where you will never need to do it? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Honestly i didn't get you point..
    Oh, really? That's nice. By the way, can you prove any of this, or is it more empty ranting?
    Are you not selfish? -- Don't you want to live longer... Do you have courage to sacrifice you life to save someone else... Can you put yourself in danger for someone else... It needs faith to do such act, you don't have faith.. keep resisting of pleasure in mind while answering..

How do pleasures create sadness? If pleasures create sadness,
    Itis philosophy ..The world itself is not filled with sadness... We human create that... In order to make our-selves happy/pleasant we sad other..... This is war of selfishness... The very purpose, why resisting of pleasure is real life..... Pleasures always bring pain.. Resisting pleasure means resisting pain... If you can't resist pleasures there is possibly you won't resist pain... For every pleasure you enjoy, you must suffer some pain-- How does pleasure create sadness...You eat something, it is pleasure; if you can't resist pleasure and eat too much it becomes pain ---
    what creates happiness?
    resisting pleasure to solve the problem of others.. To benefit other while keeping yourself in danger... That's the real source of happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Can you put yourself in danger for someone else... It needs faith to do such act
    Here is a link to a military atheist organisation:
    http://militaryatheists.org/

• Advertisement

resisting pleasure to solve the problem of others.. To benefit other while keeping yourself in danger... That's the real source of happiness
    So resisting pleasures to solve the problems of others give you happiness i.e. long-term pleasure...

doctoremma wrote: »
    So resisting pleasures to solve the problems of others give you happiness i.e. long-term pleasure...
    so what's wrong with that pleasure which benefits humanity.. A pleasure which doesn't make me sick -- There is no disease in my heart to pleasure myself..

Here is a link to a military atheist organisation:
    http://militaryatheists.org/
    The base is of their military isn't faith...Can't survive in long term--- There is difference between man of faith and man of science... Man of Faith jumps into the well of Fire, Science is still standing there doubtful..

so what's wrong with that pleasure which benefits humanity.. A pleasure which doesn't make me sick -- There is no disease in my heart to pleasure myself..
    What things do you deny yourself that benefit humanity?

What things do you deny yourself that benefit humanity?
    Can you name anything which i deny that benefit humanity..

• Advertisement

Can you name anything which i deny that benefit humanity..
    Eh?

Eh?
    Is that a thing???
    See I don't deny anything that benefit humanity..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

oceanclub wrote: »
    Elsewhere, it seems that some ungrateful women aren't taking too kindly to gangs of men telling them what to wear:

http://bikyamasr.com/53028/egyptian-women-cane-morality-police/?utm_source=Facebook+Resharer&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=WordSocial

P.
    I do find it disturbing how Islam as practiced in many Islamic countries has a tendency towards making choices for others and 'morality police'. In the West, we are lectured by Muslims about being 'afraid of Islam' and tolerance is demanded. Meanwhile, how far would you get with building a church in Saudi Arabia? Where is the tolerance there?

Anyway, that's a bit O/T and I don't want to derail the thread, just a passing observation.

Man of Faith jumps into the well of Fire, Science is still standing there doubtful..
    That sounds about right. :)

That sounds about right. :)
    Do you know what happened when he jumped into the fire, the fire becomes a garden... That's the power of faith...

Do you know what happened when he jumped into the fire, the fire becomes a garden... That's the power of faith...
    Or the fire burns him to a crisp. That's the power of science. :)

Or the fire burns him to a crisp.
    lack of faith makes you a crisp
    That's the power of science. :)
    man of faith vs man of science...
    In this story man of science loses-- Strange story, I hope one day you will find truth..

I hope one day you will find truth..
    And I also hope you learn the truth too.

And I also hope you learn the truth too.
    Truth is faith is the strongest weapon in long term... See poor taliban in Afghanistan with no weapons, are fighting against the superpowers of the world... After 10 years, your weapon and science couldn't finish their faith...

Truth is faith is the strongest weapon in long term... See poor taliban in Afghanistan with no weapons, are fighting against the superpowers of the world... After 10 years, your weapon and science couldn't finish their faith...
    Indeed, but it finished many of their lives. Many more of them died than their faith killed of their enemies. You would think that if they had a god on their side, they would have managed a military victory over the US and company.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the discussion about hijabs etc. though. :)

• Advertisement

So is that a problem or solution for problems? -- You don't eat to feed other -- Is that a problem or solution... You resist unnecessary temptations -- Is that a problem -- What i am saying, the thing makes you perfect human... I know 100 perfection isn't possilbe but it makes you 80 to 70 % perfect human.. It enables you to resist all kinds of unnecessary temptations,-- It helps you control impatience, anger, wastage of live, slavery to pleasure

What are you talking about? I have no idea what you are saying or how it relates to my post.

Honestly i didn't get you point..

Now you know I how feel...
    Look, you said "the purpose of resisting pleasures is to resist pleasures in time of need". But the only pleasure you resist as if you are practising is during Ramadan when you don't eat at certain times of teh day. All other pleasures you resist, you do so 24/7, so that you can attain an existence (ie get into heaven) where you will never have to resist them. So why bother resisting them here all the time if you wont need to in heaven?
    Are you not selfish? -- Don't you want to live longer... Do you have courage to sacrifice you life to save someone else... Can you put yourself in danger for someone else... It needs faith to do such act, you don't have faith.. keep resisting of pleasure in mind while answering..

So no evidence then?
    No, I am not selfish, and I would like to think I would put myself in harms way to save someone else, not because of faith in god, but because its a good thing to do to help those in need.

Itis philosophy ..The world itself is not filled with sadness... We human create that... In order to make our-selves happy/pleasant we sad other..... This is war of selfishness... The very purpose, why resisting of pleasure is real life..... Pleasures always bring pain.. Resisting pleasure means resisting pain... If you can't resist pleasures there is possibly you won't resist pain... For every pleasure you enjoy, you must suffer some pain-- How does pleasure create sadness...You eat something, it is pleasure; if you can't resist pleasure and eat too much it becomes pain ---

Then don't eat too much? Because, as I said before, you should look at the bigger picture or the long term when trying to gain pleasure (ie cakes are tasty, but eat too much and you will get sick in the future).
    Ultimately your point doesn't make any sense. Yes, sometimes attempting to gain pleasure can cause someone else pain (i eat a cake that someone else wanted to eat and know they can't), but its not necessarily my fault. So you make careful decisions about which pleasures to get and how to get them, and try to minimize that pain. There is no point in trying to avoid all pleasures, as that that can cause pain to others just as much as pleasure can (nobody eats cakes - confectionery industry collapses, millions out of jobs).

You can solve the problems of others while enjoying some of lifes pleasures. Resisting pleasure is a problem in of itself, how do you solve that?

Man of Faith jumps into the well of Fire,

Science builds a bridge over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Monty and dead_one, please cut out the childish nonsense and get back on topic.

Monty and dead_one, please cut out the childish nonsense and get back on topic.

My apologies. I didn't intend to derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Majority atheist are selfish when it comes to sacrifice.. become selfish..They are selfish only to their own lives.. That's the difference becoming slave to pleasures and resisting pleasures...

That's such a nonsense thing to say. How can you tar a whole group of people with the one brush? Almost as silly as the "all Muslims are terrorists" argument. I know lots of athiests and I can tell you many of them are kinder people than some so-called Muslims I know. You should take people as you find them.

How can you tar a whole group of people with the one brush?
    A man is known by the company which he keeps
    Almost as silly as the "all Muslims are terrorists" argument.
    There is weakness in the argument, I didn't say all atheists are selfish... I have used the word "majority"... They are selfish to their own lives when it comes sacrifice ... They try to save their sorry arse first, because there is no faith inside them.. They have faith in this world and they don't want to lose it... Tell if i am wrong..Kindness is a different thing -- selfishness is a different thing... Are you saying a selfish person can't be kind

So atheists are selfish because they hang out with other atheists? But that nots tarring a whole group with one brush.
    There is weakness in the argument, I didn't say all atheists are selfish... I have used the word "majority"... They are selfish to their own lives when it comes sacrifice ... They try to save their sorry arse first, because there is no faith inside them.. They have faith in this world and they don't want to lose it... Tell if i am wrong..Kindness is a different thing -- selfishness is a different thing... Are you saying a selfish person can't be kind

Oh, so you only said "the majority" of atheists are selfish, that's totally makes the generalisation accurate :rolleyes:. So tell me dead one, if only the majority are selfish, what makes the remainder not selfish, despite the company they keep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There is weakness in the argument, I didn't say all atheists are selfish... I have used the word "majority"... They are selfish to their own lives when it comes sacrifice ...

Who is more "selfish" - the person who does good in their life, even though they know that after they die there is nothing, or the person who does good because they want a reward of eternal life and 72 virgins?

P.

Advertisement