Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extra seat in rear of Van - VRT payable?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

Hope someone can help!

I was looking to put an extra seat in the rear of my van with a window. I thought this was a great idea until I was told that I would have to pay VRT and private vehicle road tax.

The van is 06 so not really worth alot but is in good condition so I don't really want to get rid of it just because I want an extra seat.

Does anyone know if this is correct.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Hi

Hope someone can help!

I was looking to put an extra seat in the rear of my van with a window. I thought this was a great idea until I was told that I would have to pay VRT and private vehicle road tax.

The van is 06 so not really worth alot but is in good condition so I don't really want to get rid of it just because I want an extra seat.

Does anyone know if this is correct.

Thanks.

If you do have to pay VRT it'd be based on its estimated market value based on age & mileage, so the VRT might not be too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

You can install an extra row of seats in the back. Vrt is payable at 13.3% of open market value. You are still allowed commercial tax if the vehicle is used for commercial use.
    You need to inform your insurance company as same policy may not cover you.
    Also you'll need the seat certified by auto engineer but there are companies around that do that

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sole trader

Thanks I could probably live with the VRT as the van isn't worth much. I thought that I would then have to pay road tax based on a private vehicle. If this is the case I'm looking at road tax of over E1000. I am using it for business but am not VAT registered. Would this be an issue do you know? Also is putting in the window okay?

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

Thanks I could probably live with the VRT as the van isn't worth much. I thought that I would then have to pay road tax based on a private vehicle. If this is the case I'm looking at road tax of over E1000. I am using it for business but am not VAT registered. Would this be an issue do you know? Also is putting in the window okay?

Thanks for all your help.[/quote

If you are using for business use you'll need to declare in at Garda barracks that it's for business use to tax it at lower rate No issue with vat. No prob putting glass in either

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sole trader

Thanks again for all the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement