Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing my EV from UK and the long journey home from London area to Cork – 550km

Options
  • 12-04-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭

For the benefit of anyone else who is looking at going to the UK to buy an EV I’d like to share my experience of the process/journey.

I’ve bought a 2015 LEAF SVE 24kWh and it has all the optional extras as well, as it is an ex-demo car from a Nissan dealer. Car is as new eventhough it’s a year old. Only 5000 miles on it.

Newbie stuff

Since this thread is primarily for those who are buying for the first time I’ll explain a few terms as I see the same questions being asked multiple times on here.

Public Chargers: There are AC and DC chargers. DC are called rapid chargers and charge the car to 80% in less than 30mins. AC is much slower and not really suitable for long journeys like this. The LEAF has a port for AC and DC charging(CHAdeMO).

For AC you generally use your own cable. For DC the cable is attached to the public charger so you don’t have to have that.

LEAF Battery: There are 2 versions of the LEAF battery available now. The 24kWh and the 30kWh. The 30kWh came out in late 2015.

LEAF models: There are 3 models. The XE, SV and SVE. The equivalent models in the UK are Visia, Acenta and Tekna respectively. See nissan.ie for the differences. The majority of the LEAF’s out there are SV. The UK also brought out a 4th model for a few months called the Acenta+. It is very similar to the Tekna except it doesn’t have the leather. It has the upgraded alloys and the 6.6kw charger. The Acenta+ is a good buy.

LEAF Charger: The LEAF by default comes with a 3.3kw built-in charger. You can pay extra (€900) for the 6.6kw charger and it means your AC charge will take half the time. Most don’t get the 6.6kw but it is useful but it is really a personal decision as to whether you feel its worth it or not. 2nd hand there isn’t a big difference in price so try to get a 6.6kw if you can. Its better to have it.

Home charging: You only get a free home charger from the ESB if you buy a new LEAF. If you buy 2nd hand you have to fund the install of the home charger yourself. Anything upto €1k for the supply and install of that.
    If you know a sparky you could get it done cheaper.

This website will give you an idea of whats available.
    http://evonestop.co.uk

NOTE: If you buy a 6.6kw LEAF you need to get the 32A version of the charger so that you utilise the full 6.6kw. Otherwise you will only benefit from the 6.6kw when you are using the on street AC chargers. If at all possible just go with the 32A charger to future proof it even if you don’t get a 6.6kw LEAF. You might get one down the road and at least you’ll have the charger already in. The cost for 16A and 32A to buy/install is almost the same.

Charger: Tethered vs Untethered: Lots of debate on this forum and others about which one to get. There is no right or wrong answer. Its whatever suits you. A tethered unit means the cable to connect to the car is permanently attached to the charger and untethered means the charger is basically just a socket and you use your own cable to connect the charger to the car. I’d recommend tethered for convenience or else untethered but buy an extra cable and leave it attached. That way if you change the car or want to allow others who don’t have a LEAF to use your charger they can use their own cable.

Charging cables: The LEAF has a Type 1 AC connection and the chargers have a Type 2 socket. So, you need a cable that has a Type 2 connection at one end and a Type 1 at the other. This cable is usually provided with the car but you need to ask as some UK cars are delivered with the “granny” cable only and not the Type 2-Type 1 cable. The granny cable is a very slow AC charge cable that can be used on a standard domestic 3-pin plug. A charge on this cable would take upto 10 hours though so its not that useful in the long term but a useful fallback if you are going somewhere like a hotel or a relation who doesn’t have a charger but can provide a standard socket and you charge overnight.

Typically the 6.6kw cars in the UK are delivered with both a granny cable and a Type2-Type1 cable so you get the best of both worlds if you opt for the 6.6kw LEAF. The granny cable is outlandishly expensive to buy from Nissan. I don’t think the Irish 6.6kw cars come with both. Maybe someone will correct me on that.

SEARCH
    I used a few sites to find the car but mainly the first one:
    there are many more but the above have more than you’ll need to find one.

You need to realise that UK cars are not registered from Jan-Dec like IRL. They go from Mar 1-Aug 31 and Sep 1- Feb 28. So, a “64” reg car in the UK could be from 2014 (Sep 14) or it could be a 2015 car (1 Jan). This affects the price they sell it at and obviously what it will sell for here (i.e. is it a 142 or a 151).

Dealers tend to drop their prices in Mar and Sep as they see that as a new reg period and hence the cars are now considered older…. Same as going from 151 to 152 reg here. I did some negotiating in Feb and they wouldn’t sell but I got it for the price I originally offered when I bought it towards the end of Mar.

When searching I think its useful to have the postcode of the airports that you can fly into. I am from Cork so there were a few airports that I could fly direct to and then you can put that into the websites above and it will tell you how far the cars are from the airport. It’s a good way to initially see how viable it is for you to get there.

You could do the same search with the ferry postcode.

Some dealers offer to ship the car to anywhere you wish in the UK free of charge. Usually the bigger dealers that have multiple dealerships.

Charge cards for the Rapid chargers
    There are multiple charge vendors in the UK unlike here where it is just the ESB. Ecotricity are the largest, I believe, and have a very good motorway network.
    Another major vendor is http://chargeyourcar.org.uk/

Ecotricity is free. Chargeyourcar is not.
    Based on feedback from other users here, Ecotricity is not suitable in some parts of the country so you need to figure out which vendor you need to get the car back.

The majority of my trip was motorway and the Ecotricity website gives reasonably up to date status and location of their chargers. I sent them an email asking for a card even before I bought a car and they posted one to Ireland no bothers.

ESB were not so accommodating. They require proof of purchase first and I did not receive the card in time for the trip so I had to borrow one.

Flight
    The flight worked out easy for me as it was direct from Cork. Flight cost €91.

Ferry
    I booked with Irish Ferries and it cost €130 for Pembroke-Rosslare.
    This ferry doesn’t have on-board chargers. I think the Dublin based Ulysses is the only one that has a full DC charger. They did provide a 3-pin power point that I was able to connect the granny cable to but the LEAF is fussy about finding an appropriate earth and it would not charge on it as the ferry is not earthed the same as a house is.
    It didn’t matter that much as there are 2 rapid chargers within a few miles of the port so I just pulled in there. It would have saved me that one charge if they provided on board charging. They did say they were looking at installing them in this ferry but who knows when that will happen. Bottomline, plan for having no charge on the boat and ensure you have enough miles left when you board to make it to the rapid in Killinick. It is tight from the last rapid in Wales to the first rapid in Ireland so I did drive a bit slower on this last bit of the journey to make sure.

TRIP
    I had driven a LEAF before but only briefly so it was a steep learning curve to do a 550km journey in a foreign country as my first trip in it.
    You have to plan it and have a plan B in case a charger is down or you miscalculate distances etc.

This website is good to do some planning on:
    Check the status of the chargers on the day you are travelling to ensure they are all still working.

My Charges:
    I initially drove at 70mph based on the speedo readout. My GPS told me I was actually only travelling at 65 so I upped it to 75 for a real world 70 in the latter stages of the journey. That does of course reduce range but there are plenty chargers on the way.

It started out at 11C outside and finished at 3C and it was dry conditions with no major winds.

Distracted by the new car and it was dark, I missed my first exit from the motorway and had to find a slow AC charge in a nearby town. The LEAF sat nav located that for me. Pretty cool. I had to call a support number on that charger to get it remotely turned on as I didn’t have a chargemaster card but they kindly turned it on for me and I took a 15min charge here which just added 15 miles of range but was enough to get me to the next rapid(Jct 17). That was a heart thumping moment for sure…. Foreign country, first time driving an EV long distance and missed the first charger and boy was I glad to pull up to it! The range was showing zero for a few miles!

In case anyone else is doing an M4 run to Pembroke these are the stops that I made.
    383027.jpg

All the charging is a pain but it’s a once off and the savings on buying in the UK are quite significant but also the choice and spec of the cars in the UK is way better than here. Taking flight and ferry into account I put the saving at about €4k on an equivalent car here. Sterling is also on a slide right now so its favourable to buy.

The new price for the car I bought is €28140 in Ireland. A 1 year old version of it with 5k miles on it is standing me just shy of €18k. Its a lot of work/planning to bring one back but €4k is worth it!

VRT
    A lot of UK dealers are not aware of the process to sell a car to someone who is exporting it. It is very important that they give you the original V5C form as the VRT folks will require the original. Some dealers keep that form and send it off to the UK DVLA and it takes ages to then get that from them to VRT your car.
    They should fill out the V5C/4 section and tear that off and send that only to the DVLA and you keep the rest of the V5C. The rest of the docs, like invoice etc, you require are listed on the NCTS website.

VRT on EV’s is generally zero unless you are buying an expensive EV. The VRT is calculated and if it is less than €5k it is written off so you pay no VRT for a LEAF as the calculation is always less than €5k.

You do need to make sure the car is more than 6 months old and has more than 6k km’s to avoid additional VAT.

All in all it was a good trip, albeit one scary moment.

Well done for reading all that! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Excellent informative post, Can I ask how much it cost you imported

And how did you pay, bank transfer etc , how did you ensure your euro was converted to stg at a decent rate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I wouldn't say the leaf didn't charge on the ferry due to earth issues , it may have been poor quality sinewave AC generation that more to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

k123456 wrote: »
    Excellent informative post, Can I ask how much it cost you imported

And how did you pay, bank transfer etc , how did you ensure your euro was converted to stg at a decent rate

Just shy of 18 k according to op post

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

Bigus wrote:
    Just shy of 18 k according to op post

You should be able to get them cheaper than that more 16k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Great post Kcross. thanks for taking the time to write up your experience.

There are a good few leafs for sale in the London area and the drive home has always put me off. good to see you managed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

zoom_cool wrote: »
    You should be able to get them cheaper than that more 16k

Very doubtful. Are you thinking of an Acenta? I was looking for a good while and never saw a Tekna at that price.

€16k would be about £12.5k. No way you would get a 151 Tekna with 6.6kw charger for that.

KCross wrote:
    Very doubtful. Are you thinking of an Acenta? I was looking for a good while and never saw a Tekna at that price.

Nissan lookers Gateshead had one for 12481 a 151 tekna now sold my mother got a 152 Accenta + for 12480

Nissan lookers Gateshead had one for 12481 a 151 tekna now sold my mother got a 152 Accenta + for 12480

I was keeping an eye on lookers as well. I didnt see any 151 6.6kw Tekna's for that price. Did it have a 6.6kw charger?

To be honest I was being a bit fussy about what I picked. My wife didnt want white and I wanted the 6.6kw charger and metallic. When you filter on those you get a much smaller choice. So, you could definitely get it cheaper than €18k if you go for a standard white Tekna. The 6.6kw costs £1150 new and the metallic is £550 so between those two it seems to push the price up by about £1k for 2nd hand.

They have a 2014 Tekna right now for 12480 so it would be strange that they would sell a newer car for the same money. Maybe they did. That would have been an exceptional deal as a quick search will show you that 99% of the 151 Tekna's 6.6kw are asking £14.5k-£15.5k. They do drop in price fast though!

One thing I did notice is that one dealer had exactly what I wanted, priced below what I paid, and it was there for weeks. When I rang them they said it was sold but as "luck would have it" they have this other lower spec car they could sell me! It is still on their website as unsold at the very good price. Obviously its click bait to get you to call.

As a matter of interest why didnt your mother go for the Tekna when it was the same money? It has a few extras more than just leather.

KCross wrote:
    As a matter of interest why didnt your mother go for the Tekna when it was the same money? It has a few extras more than just leather.

She went with the Acenta+ she doesn't like leather she thinks it is too cold 😂 . The tekna was a 6.6kw white but it sold very quickly not sure why it was so cheap the Acenta + has 6.6kw so that's why she went for that she got a great deal. Plus it has a solar spoiler not sure what good that is.

I will be posting the route we took soon on the forum. She likes the Leaf it just takes a bit of getting use to the range. Best of luck with yours

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Good thread. I would not compare prices to Nissan main dealers Irish prices. These are crazy.
    They're are ways of buying cheaper in Ireland without doing all that work
    KCross wrote: »
    For the benefit of anyone else who is looking at going to the UK to buy an EV I’d like to share my experience of the process/journey.

I’ve bought a 2015 LEAF SVE 24kWh and it has all the optional extras as well, as it is an ex-demo car from a Nissan dealer. Car is as new eventhough it’s a year old. Only 5000 miles on it.

Newbie stuff

Since this thread is primarily for those who are buying for the first time I’ll explain a few terms as I see the same questions being asked multiple times on here.

Public Chargers: There are AC and DC chargers. DC are called rapid chargers and charge the car to 80% in less than 30mins. AC is much slower and not really suitable for long journeys like this. The LEAF has a port for AC and DC charging(CHAdeMO).

For AC you generally use your own cable. For DC the cable is attached to the public charger so you don’t have to have that.

LEAF Battery: There are 2 versions of the LEAF battery available now. The 24kWh and the 30kWh. The 30kWh came out in late 2015.

LEAF models: There are 3 models. The XE, SV and SVE. The equivalent models in the UK are Visia, Acenta and Tekna respectively. See nissan.ie for the differences. The majority of the LEAF’s out there are SV. The UK also brought out a 4th model for a few months called the Acenta+. It is very similar to the Tekna except it doesn’t have the leather. It has the upgraded alloys and the 6.6kw charger. The Acenta+ is a good buy.

LEAF Charger: The LEAF by default comes with a 3.3kw built-in charger. You can pay extra (€900) for the 6.6kw charger and it means your AC charge will take half the time. Most don’t get the 6.6kw but it is useful but it is really a personal decision as to whether you feel its worth it or not. 2nd hand there isn’t a big difference in price so try to get a 6.6kw if you can. Its better to have it.

Home charging: You only get a free home charger from the ESB if you buy a new LEAF. If you buy 2nd hand you have to fund the install of the home charger yourself. Anything upto €1k for the supply and install of that.
    If you know a sparky you could get it done cheaper.

This website will give you an idea of whats available.
    http://evonestop.co.uk

NOTE: If you buy a 6.6kw LEAF you need to get the 32A version of the charger so that you utilise the full 6.6kw. Otherwise you will only benefit from the 6.6kw when you are using the on street AC chargers. If at all possible just go with the 32A charger to future proof it even if you don’t get a 6.6kw LEAF. You might get one down the road and at least you’ll have the charger already in. The cost for 16A and 32A to buy/install is almost the same.

Charger: Tethered vs Untethered: Lots of debate on this forum and others about which one to get. There is no right or wrong answer. Its whatever suits you. A tethered unit means the cable to connect to the car is permanently attached to the charger and untethered means the charger is basically just a socket and you use your own cable to connect the charger to the car. I’d recommend tethered for convenience or else untethered but buy an extra cable and leave it attached. That way if you change the car or want to allow others who don’t have a LEAF to use your charger they can use their own cable.

Charging cables: The LEAF has a Type 1 AC connection and the chargers have a Type 2 socket. So, you need a cable that has a Type 2 connection at one end and a Type 1 at the other. This cable is usually provided with the car but you need to ask as some UK cars are delivered with the “granny” cable only and not the Type 2-Type 1 cable. The granny cable is a very slow AC charge cable that can be used on a standard domestic 3-pin plug. A charge on this cable would take upto 10 hours though so its not that useful in the long term but a useful fallback if you are going somewhere like a hotel or a relation who doesn’t have a charger but can provide a standard socket and you charge overnight.

Typically the 6.6kw cars in the UK are delivered with both a granny cable and a Type2-Type1 cable so you get the best of both worlds if you opt for the 6.6kw LEAF. The granny cable is outlandishly expensive to buy from Nissan. I don’t think the Irish 6.6kw cars come with both. Maybe someone will correct me on that.

SEARCH
    I used a few sites to find the car but mainly the first one:
    there are many more but the above have more than you’ll need to find one.

You need to realise that UK cars are not registered from Jan-Dec like IRL. They go from Mar 1-Aug 31 and Sep 1- Feb 28. So, a “64” reg car in the UK could be from 2014 (Sep 14) or it could be a 2015 car (1 Jan). This affects the price they sell it at and obviously what it will sell for here (i.e. is it a 142 or a 151).

Dealers tend to drop their prices in Mar and Sep as they see that as a new reg period and hence the cars are now considered older…. Same as going from 151 to 152 reg here. I did some negotiating in Feb and they wouldn’t sell but I got it for the price I originally offered when I bought it towards the end of Mar.

When searching I think its useful to have the postcode of the airports that you can fly into. I am from Cork so there were a few airports that I could fly direct to and then you can put that into the websites above and it will tell you how far the cars are from the airport. It’s a good way to initially see how viable it is for you to get there.

You could do the same search with the ferry postcode.

Some dealers offer to ship the car to anywhere you wish in the UK free of charge. Usually the bigger dealers that have multiple dealerships.

Charge cards for the Rapid chargers
    There are multiple charge vendors in the UK unlike here where it is just the ESB. Ecotricity are the largest, I believe, and have a very good motorway network.
    Another major vendor is http://chargeyourcar.org.uk/

Ecotricity is free. Chargeyourcar is not.
    Based on feedback from other users here, Ecotricity is not suitable in some parts of the country so you need to figure out which vendor you need to get the car back.

The majority of my trip was motorway and the Ecotricity website gives reasonably up to date status and location of their chargers. I sent them an email asking for a card even before I bought a car and they posted one to Ireland no bothers.

ESB were not so accommodating. They require proof of purchase first and I did not receive the card in time for the trip so I had to borrow one.

Flight
    The flight worked out easy for me as it was direct from Cork. Flight cost €91.

Ferry
    I booked with Irish Ferries and it cost €130 for Pembroke-Rosslare.
    This ferry doesn’t have on-board chargers. I think the Dublin based Ulysses is the only one that has a full DC charger. They did provide a 3-pin power point that I was able to connect the granny cable to but the LEAF is fussy about finding an appropriate earth and it would not charge on it as the ferry is not earthed the same as a house is.
    It didn’t matter that much as there are 2 rapid chargers within a few miles of the port so I just pulled in there. It would have saved me that one charge if they provided on board charging. They did say they were looking at installing them in this ferry but who knows when that will happen. Bottomline, plan for having no charge on the boat and ensure you have enough miles left when you board to make it to the rapid in Killinick. It is tight from the last rapid in Wales to the first rapid in Ireland so I did drive a bit slower on this last bit of the journey to make sure.

TRIP
    I had driven a LEAF before but only briefly so it was a steep learning curve to do a 550km journey in a foreign country as my first trip in it.
    You have to plan it and have a plan B in case a charger is down or you miscalculate distances etc.

This website is good to do some planning on:
    Check the status of the chargers on the day you are travelling to ensure they are all still working.

My Charges:
    I initially drove at 70mph based on the speedo readout. My GPS told me I was actually only travelling at 65 so I upped it to 75 for a real world 70 in the latter stages of the journey. That does of course reduce range but there are plenty chargers on the way.

It started out at 11C outside and finished at 3C and it was dry conditions with no major winds.

Distracted by the new car and it was dark, I missed my first exit from the motorway and had to find a slow AC charge in a nearby town. The LEAF sat nav located that for me. Pretty cool. I had to call a support number on that charger to get it remotely turned on as I didn’t have a chargemaster card but they kindly turned it on for me and I took a 15min charge here which just added 15 miles of range but was enough to get me to the next rapid(Jct 17). That was a heart thumping moment for sure…. Foreign country, first time driving an EV long distance and missed the first charger and boy was I glad to pull up to it! The range was showing zero for a few miles!

In case anyone else is doing an M4 run to Pembroke these are the stops that I made.
    383027.jpg

All the charging is a pain but it’s a once off and the savings on buying in the UK are quite significant but also the choice and spec of the cars in the UK is way better than here. Taking flight and ferry into account I put the saving at about €4k on an equivalent car here. Sterling is also on a slide right now so its favourable to buy.

The new price for the car I bought is €28140 in Ireland. A 1 year old version of it with 5k miles on it is standing me just shy of €18k. Its a lot of work/planning to bring one back but €4k is worth it!

VRT
    A lot of UK dealers are not aware of the process to sell a car to someone who is exporting it. It is very important that they give you the original V5C form as the VRT folks will require the original. Some dealers keep that form and send it off to the UK DVLA and it takes ages to then get that from them to VRT your car.
    They should fill out the V5C/4 section and tear that off and send that only to the DVLA and you keep the rest of the V5C. The rest of the docs, like invoice etc, you require are listed on the NCTS website.

VRT on EV’s is generally zero unless you are buying an expensive EV. The VRT is calculated and if it is less than €5k it is written off so you pay no VRT for a LEAF as the calculation is always less than €5k.

You do need to make sure the car is more than 6 months old and has more than 6k km’s to avoid additional VAT.

All in all it was a good trip, albeit one scary moment.

Well done for reading all that! :)

• Advertisement

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    Good thread. I would not compare prices to Nissan main dealers Irish prices. These are crazy.
    They're are ways of buying cheaper in Ireland without doing all that work

What are these "ways of buying cheaper"? :)

If you dont buy from a dealer you are buying private and that will of course always be €2k(?) cheaper than a dealer. Even at that, its still cheaper to go to the UK than buy in Ireland and its not just the price.... its the selection in the UK. The "work" of bringing it back isnt that hard (find it, book a flight and a ferry and book the VRT. Over and back was just 24hrs for me).

I've brought back 3 cars from the UK now over the last 10 years and it was worth it each time for money and for selection.

I estimated that I saved about €4k. There are Nissan main dealers asking for €24-25k for an equivalent car in Ireland..... so, yea, I agree they are crazy prices so I think my €4k is conservative enough. Maybe €3k if I was lucky enough to find someone private to sell one with the spec I wanted..... but based on the number of EV's in Ireland its a tiny market and who is going to sell a LEAF private less than 1yr old... so I think UK is the way to go.

She went with the Acenta+ she doesn't like leather she thinks it is too cold 😂 . The tekna was a 6.6kw white but it sold very quickly not sure why it was so cheap the Acenta + has 6.6kw so that's why she went for that she got a great deal. Plus it has a solar spoiler not sure what good that is.

I will be posting the route we took soon on the forum. She likes the Leaf it just takes a bit of getting use to the range. Best of luck with yours

Well wear to you too!

The leather is cold I suppose but it has heated seats to solve that problem. I went with leather because of the kids. I did look at a few Acenta+'s but I had my heart set on leather.

I have the solar spoiler as well. As far as I know it is only used to charge the 12V battery which gives the Li-ion battery one less thing to do. Its an expensive extra (£300!) when new and apparently not worth it. You'd buy a few 12V batteries for that!

Are Leafs in Northern Ireland priced at approx. the same level as England , in other words, can a good deal be got there without having to fly/ferry

Are Leafs in Northern Ireland priced at approx. the same level as England , in other words, can a good deal be got there without having to fly/ferry

The same selection isnt there but if you find what you are after you will have saved even more for sure.

Hi KCross, just out of interest what is the most cost effective way to convert your Euros to STG, when one goes to pay for the car in the UK,

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I used transferwise recently for the main transfer. Paid the deposit and the small balance after the transfer with my revolut card.

Good rates and no crazy charges.

I transferred in Euro and got practically the same exchange rate as transferwise. You are at the mercy of the receiving banks buy rate so you should check their banks website first for their rate to make sure they are not screwing you.

My bank only charged me 50c to do the transfer since it was a Euro transfer! Charges would have kicked in if I transferred in Stg.

Like oinkely I paid a deposit and final balancing payment on Visa.

Transferwise looks like a good/safe option too.

If you are buying private I dont know how you would do it as I would not be comfortable transferring to a private individual I havent met.

I did a company check on the dealer I bought off. You can see their last set of accounts. They made a million in profit last year so I took that to mean they are reasonably solvent over the 2-3 days while they have my money!

There arent really too many other options as cash is not allowed for money laundering reasons and Visa debit usually have daily transation limits that would make it impractical and an Irish bank draft would be laughed at as they are easy to forge.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-6-6-kw-charger-sve-heated-seats/11855494

A SVE with 6.6 2014 for less than 16 k and They can deliver to you.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-6-6-kw-charger-sve-heated-seats/11855494

Its a year older than mine and 22k miles more on it. The depreciation on a LEAF is high so I still think I did OK at €18k.

A 142 in the UK with much less mileage than that can be got for about €15k
    http://www.motors.co.uk/car-40927890/1/srs

Basically, they are doing what I did, find the cars in the UK and bring them in and sell them on. Im just cutting out the middle man by doing it myself. If you dont want the hassle of flights/ferries etc then they are ideal but obviously you have to pay for that service by taking an older car or higher mileage... nothing for nothing.

The depreciation on ex lease U.K cars can't be compared to Irish Leafs. The depreciation isn't higher on the Leaf than any other non premium brand car in the U.K as far as I can see or Ireland.

Anyone buying a 2nd hand leaf I highly recommend a Leaf Spy reading of the battery and to check the Odometer. I'm not sure if the Odometer reading recorded by the Leaf is that from the clock or the ECU.

• Advertisement

My mother got a 152 with 6.6Kw charger Acenta+ for 15500 and it only had 3750 miles

The depreciation on ex lease U.K cars can't be compared to Irish Leafs. The depreciation isn't higher on the Leaf than any other non premium brand car in the U.K as far as I can see or Ireland.

Anyone buying a 2nd hand leaf I highly recommend a Leaf Spy reading of the battery and to check the Odometer. I'm not sure if the Odometer reading recorded by the Leaf is that from the clock or the ECU.

Why cant they be compared? They are the same car coming out of the same Sunderland plant, arent they?

The depreciation seems high to me based on the UK prices. The Irish prices are holding a bit better but that is probably down to lack of volume. The dealers dont have a big stock of them coming in 2nd hand so they can afford to keep the prices up and hold onto to them for longer than a UK dealer can.

They can't be compared because they're different markets. Lots more PCP than here for instance so they're sold cheap just to get rid of them.

The Irish leafs are holding their value a lot better than U.K leafs. PCP in general is now a problem for 2nd hand car values in the U.K and I remember some organisation calling for a reduction of cars sold by PCP. So ex lease cars are sold off to get rid of them but it's the same for a lot of cars in the U.K not just the Leaf.

We have just bought a new leaf, and if I still like the idea of EV driving, will buy another in a year (2nd Leaf will be a UK import, assuming STG is favorable)

as we have one new one, the 2nd leaf will be something in the range of 2011 to 2013, which brings a lot of Gen 1 models into play

Would I be made to buy a Gen 1, which will be 6 years old (gen 1 battery allegedly not as robust)

I think 2013 reg brings a choice of gen1 or gen 2, is there much of a premium on gen2's in UK

as this is a 2nd car, spec not important, which takes a Visia model into play

We are both short range Dublin drivers

Separate Question, does Leaf Spy give a true reflection of miles on the car (I am of the belief most Odo's can be tampered with). Can I cross check the ODO with the Mot, is that info public available

They can't be compared because they're different markets. Lots more PCP than here for instance so they're sold cheap just to get rid of them.

The Irish leafs are holding their value a lot better than U.K leafs. PCP in general is now a problem for 2nd hand car values in the U.K and I remember some organisation calling for a reduction of cars sold by PCP. So ex lease cars are sold off to get rid of them but it's the same for a lot of cars in the U.K not just the Leaf.

Thats not a reason. Its one market, just that you have to work a bit harder to buy one in the UK. The reason for them being cheap in the UK doesnt bother me. I just wanted one at good value.

Just look at mr.dunkey post above. That company is bringing those in from the UK so they are having a direct impact on the resale value of these cars in the Irish market... that means it is one market and can be compared. You mightnt like it but that is the free market we live in.

The only reason I can see why the Irish market prices are somewhat holding is, as I said, because its a tiny market(growing but still tiny).

I really don't care where people buy their cars.

You'd be surprised how well the leaf is actually selling in Ireland compared to many other models.

Check out my earlier thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057587341

Went through the VRT today. As everyone knows there is no VRT charge on a LEAF since it is under the €5k limit.

Interestingly, I didnt have to pay for the appointment either. Gave them the paperwork, signed the form and they gave me my new reg and out the door! No money changed hands at all.

I would have thought the VRT folks(NCTS) would want a few quid to inspect and process the paperwork. I suppose revenue pay them per car processed or else I got lucky and they forgot to charge me!

One thing that was annoying, the requirement to prove your current address has to be an original document from your bank or revenue within the last 6 months. Photocopies and printouts are no good. Every interaction I have with these is electronic now so I struggled to get an original document. Something to keep in mind.

You also need to prove your date of entry to the country via a printout of your ferry booking. Original not required there.

The NCTS also couldnt print the reg plates for me as they said there was no VRT money changing hands and so they couldnt process it! Computer says No!

Their exact recommendation was to go to a motor factor and save yourself €5!

Anyway, all done. Happy with the purchase so far. Its a pleasure to drive.

Hi KCross, whats the best way to check there is no battery flex when buying in the UK

Thanks

Hi KCross, whats the best way to check there is no battery flex when buying in the UK

Thanks

In the first instance you are dependent on the seller being honest. It should be displayed in the car ad and very obvious that its a flex.

If you have doubts you would need to contact Nissan and I believe a company called RCI in the UK who provide the finance to lease the batteries. They will be able to confirm if the car is a flex car or not. I dont believe there is any other real definite way to be sure.

I bought an ex-demo from a Nissan dealer so I was happy that it wasnt flex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Just an update to KCross' excellent key posting above on importing as follows;

I spoke to the guys at Ecars/ESB. They have agreed to provide me with a card in advance of me providing proof of ownership details. They are happy to do so provided I send them on a recent utility bill as proof of address now - and follow through with the other documentation afterwards. Glad to see them taking a pragmatic and workable approach to this.

Advertisement