Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Magic Conventions

• 15-04-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

So are there any conventions or the like held annually in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i believe there's 1 in may in tallaght

couple of lectures and the likes and the usual shops

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Excellent, cheers for that!

Here's what I found:
    The venue for the 58th IBM Ring 85 Annual Convention, is the Plaza Hotel, Tallagh, Dublin, Ireland and will be held on the 2nd 4th May 2008.

Artistes Include;-

JACK WISE: one of Ireland’s most talked of performers in stunning close up.

MAX MARSHALL: a name which has already drawn some pre-registrations from the UK simply because of him

KEITH BENNETT: favourite dealer of those in the know.

JOSHUA JAY : 1st place in Las Vegas World Seminar, & 1st place International Battle of Magicians. Tricks editor of MAGIC MAGAZINE, and author of best selling DVDS

ALAN SHAXON: Outstanding international performer, and current President of the Magic Circle.

AONGHUS MACANALLY: Radio and TV performer and producer.

PAT FALLON: Arguably the most successful stand-up magician in the country.

QUENTIN REYNOLDS: presenting his award winning act – THE PSYCHIC GAME SHOW.

TONY SADAR: The only Irish Magician to get into the Guinness book of Records

TREVOR LEWIS: FISM Winner shares the secrets that made him one of the top close up performers and international kiddies’ magician.

Stage and Close up Competitions will take place throughout the weekend for a glittering array of trophies.

Competition rules, guidelines and entry details

Found here: http://ibm-ring85.tripod.com/id20.html

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I shall be at that so. Any more details. First I've heard of it tbh but that's nothing new. I'm always the last with the good stuff.

*Grumbles*

EDIT: Well those details came in even before I finished asking for them. Nice one 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I actually live 5 minutes away so I'm gonna drop in with the wife and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

If you join one of the IBM rings in Ireland you get informed of these kinda things. Speak to John Bowden at the convention if you can, he is in charge of the Dublin ring, and if my memory serves me correctly he is also head of the IBM in Ireland. There are other advantages to being a member, most of the smaller rings have a couple of lectures a year, for example Nick Einhorn (The creator of Spooked and a few books too) lectured in Limerick on Monday, and Will Houston lectured in Cork last year. I would imagine that the Dublin ring has more than that.

The IBM is also a fantastic way to learn about new effects (Magicians are showoffs by nature and will be willing to demonstrate anything they picked up recently). Be warned, it will generally be frowned apon if you were to ask them how to do the effect, but they will normally be happy to tell you where you can learn it.

With regard to the Dublin convention, I wont be able to make it my self (Treating the missus to a weekend away that weekend) make sure you check out Joshua Jay on the Friday night. He has some nice effects out there at the moment, including a nice story driven 6 card repeat and a comedy and very interesting version of card to wallet.

Advance warning if this is your first convention: Magic tends to be expensive, and magicians tend to suffer from what is known as CUPS (Compulsory Unesescery Purchase Syndrome) so be prepared to spend a packet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement