Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

• 28-06-2007 7:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

I would like to inform you all that Recruitment Campaign 13 for full-time Constables in the PSNI is now open for business.

As always, I am on hand to answer any questions you may have either on this thread or in PM - whichever suits.

You can apply online here: http://www.selectnip.org/

I wish any would-be applicants the very best of luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Thanks a million for that, think ill give it a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

Can you please highlight some of the differences between the recruitment of a garda and a psni officer and any differences in the actual jobs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm afriad I can't help you on the first as I have no idea how Gardai are recruited.

The job is the same the world over, no matter where you go. Only difference is we carry guns and CS incapacitant. Looking at what the Gardai have to put with in Dublin alone, I'm more than happy to work in Northern Ireland. Believe it or not, there are far less shootings than Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

psni wrote:
    Hello everyone.

I would like to inform you all that Recruitment Campaign 13 for full-time Constables in the PSNI is now open for business.

As always, I am on hand to answer any questions you may have either on this thread or in PM - whichever suits.

Hi PSNI,

Have a few questions for you.

Have you had any problems with friends/family, regarding the job?
    Do you travel from this side up to work every day, or live across the border?
    Generally do you take much stick as a result of your accent?
    Are the promotion opportunities same as the Guards in relation to length of service, ie 6-10 yrs for Sgt?
    I would assume that your personal issue side arm is signed in and out of station, if a situation arose with a security issue, would the PSNI inform your local station? i suppose that would depend if you are living this side of the border, so you might not be able to answer that one.
    Are the postings made on what you initially ticked on app. form ie Nationalist, Unionist etc?
    Are all officers automatically put through the driving course? as down here it seems to take ages, unless you get Chiefs.
    Does your warrent card carry the same benifits as on Mainland? ie travel etc, and I would assume that carries only as far as the border.
    What age did you join?
    Are there benifits afforded to you in relation to car ins, mortgage same as here for Members of the Guards?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I figure the more info I have the better.

Many thanks,

Geo
    The info on both PSNI & CONS. web sites is excellent, they seem to have their act together in relation to recruitment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi geo1212,

My job causes no problems with any family or friends. Most of them know what I do and the hardest thing is the shifts, and not the job itself.

I live in Northern Ireland and go down "home" to Dublin every so often.

No stick taken at all regarding the accent. It's been mentioned less than 5 times in the time I've been on the streets, and only one was a hairy incident but I wasn't alone and had more than enough manpower to handle the situation.

You can take your Sgt exams as soon as you come out of your probation (2 years) and there are opportunities everywhere. After you come out of your probation, get busy applying!

Your gun is yours and you are responsible for it 24/7. When I go down to Dublin I leave it in a secure place. When I just knock off work, I lock in in my small wall-mounted safe at home.

You are posted where there is an operational need. You get to choose 4 places in order of preference where you would like to be stationed. They try to accomodate everyone's first preference.

Yes, all newly attested officers go on the 4 week driving course (provided you have a full B licence and a provisional C).

There are no "benefits" to carrying the warrant card at all in Northern Ireland I'm afraid. You must be thinking of London where they get free travel within X miles of their station?

Car insurance is cheaper if you pass the 4 week advanced driving course. We get great mortgage rates and deals through the Police Mutual (www.pmas.co.uk).

Recruitment is done by Consensia and you are never interviewed at all by the PSNI. Be aware of sites that offer insight into how mainland UK forces recruit, as the PSNI is completely different to all of them!

Keep the questions coming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Hi again PSNI,

Thanks for the answers. have a few more questions.

Did you move to Northern ireland after you were attested? or were you living there first?

What is the situation regarding an officer living in the Republic concerning salary? would they be paid in sterling to a Northern Ireland account, and then up to them to transfer funds to their existing account.

Are there any officers that you know who commute for the Republic?

If you were to commute, can your weapon be left at the station? as I assume it could not be taken to home if you were outside of Northern Ireland, as it would be unlicienced.

Thanks again, and yeah I was thinking about the Met regarding travel, have a friend in the Met who is also considering PSNI.

Geo

I moved up to NI when I joined the job. I lived in Dublin all my life up to that point.

You get paid in pounds, preferably to a UK bank account. I assume you would be hit with conversion charges if you got it paid into an Irish account but you'd have to check that with your bank. I just set up a UK account. Very straightforward when they see who you work for. Ulster Bank is best because there are no fees if you withdraw Euro from an Ulster Bank ATM in the Republic, from your Sterling account in NI.

I do know a good few officers who cross the border to work in their DCU and then back again to the Republic after work. It depends on where you are based I suppose. You can get the best of both worlds by doing it. Cheap petrol AND lower tax rates. Win/Win.

Yes, you can leave your Personal Protection Weapon (PPW) at any station armoury for safe keeping. Happens all the time when we go abroad on holidays. You most certainly can't bring it across the border.

I thought about the Met too believe it or not, but I got turned off by the travel if I wanted to come home, and the property prices over there. I can comfortably drive down home in less than 2 hours, and it will be even less again when the Newry bypass is open next year.

Keep the questions coming in either PM or here on thread. And please give me time to answer people. I like to be as detailed as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

very informative, nice work.
    Would u explain the recruitment process? and is there figures on how many they recruit and how many apply?

Out of each Campaign, only 240 are successful. Most campaigns draw over 8,000 applications for just 240 jobs, but I'm told this figure is constantly on the rise because now they're recruiting in Poland.

When you apply, you will sit your initial selection test in a hotel in Dublin. If you pass, you are called to the Assessment Centre for a full day somewhere in Besfast where you do 3 role plays, 1 situational interview and 1 written exercise.

If you pass that you are called to a medical in Belfast. Pass that and the PSNI contact you directly with forms you have to fill in and return, so they can check your background with the Gardai. That bit takes the longest for us Southerners. I was waiting for a full year before the Gardai returned it and I've never even had a parking ticket.

Pass vetting and you enter the "merit pool" which is a list of all those who have passed everything like you. The top 50% of those who are Roman Catholic in the merit pool get offered training, and the top 50% of those who are not Roman Catholic also get offered training. The rest of those in the merit pool get flushed down the toilet and get the standard "Dear John" letter for all their troubles. Because of the relatively small number of Roman Catholics applying, you have a better chance of getting in if you are RC, than you would have if you were anything else other than RC.

I know someone who applied over 10 times to get in who wasn't RC, and eventually was successful. Talk about commitment.

I think that about covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you were, say, an atheist would that affect your chances of being selected?

• Advertisement

Good question but they've got that covered. It's decided on where you went to secondary school and has no bearing on whether you consider yourself now to be a Catholic, Athiest or Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Damn those christian brothers! ;)

Applied and have my date for the Initial selection test :D, a trip to the Baile Atha Cliath!

It's just a sit-down type of test so don't worry about it.

There's a fairly helpful book called "How to Pass the New Police Selection System" by Harry Tolley, Catherine Tolley and Billy Hodge. It's full of examples of things you'll be faced with in the test, verbal logical reasoning and psychometric being the 2 big ones.

From the feeback I've received, it's helped people who had no experience with this type of testing to prepare for what's ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 collied

psni wrote:
    Hello everyone.

HI PSNI,
    Got my test date. how long from test to interview stage roughly?

They are usually very quick in letting you know whether you are through to the next stage or not. You should know by the following week whether you are through.

If you are, you can expect your date for the assessment centre to be between 6 and 8 weeks from the date of your initial selection test.

psni wrote:
    It's just a sit-down type of test so don't worry about it.

There's a fairly helpful book called "How to Pass the New Police Selection System" by Harry Tolley, Catherine Tolley and Billy Hodge. It's full of examples of things you'll be faced with in the test, verbal logical reasoning and psychometric being the 2 big ones.

From the feeback I've received, it's helped people who had no experience with this type of testing to prepare for what's ahead.

Thanks PSNI! your great help around this place:D will look for this book on the net!

Jay:)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

My test is soon enough. :cool:

Hi PSNI. Do you need to wear a Suit? Or are there any parts of the recruitment you're expected to wear a suit?

If say, we passed everything and we are now in the PSNI two year probation period... and you don't feel you like the job.. is it OK to be trying to recruit with the Gardaí whilst you're still working for the PSNI?

Do we act in the roleplays or just watch people roleplay?

Do you wish you were with An Garda Siochana or do you prefer or are you just as happy with the PSNI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Are all PSNI officiers armed?

Chatmaster wrote:
    My test is soon enough. :cool:

Hi PSNI. Do you need to wear a Suit? Or are there any parts of the recruitment you're expected to wear a suit?

If say, we passed everything and we are now in the PSNI two year probation period... and you don't feel you like the job.. is it OK to be trying to recruit with the Gardaí whilst you're still working for the PSNI?

Do we act in the roleplays or just watch people roleplay?

Do you wish you were with An Garda Siochana or do you prefer or are you just as happy with the PSNI?

It makes no difference if you wear a suit or not to the initial selection test. All you do is sit a test and there is nobody there paying attention to what you're wearing. I would be advising that you wear a suit to the assessment centre for the role plays if you get through.

Yes, you can be trying for the Gardai while in the PSNI. They don't recognise your service though, so you'd have to start all over again from scratch.

You act in the roleplays. You don't get a chance to observe. The second you walk into the room, the actors make themselves known to you.

I am absolutely delighted with being in the PSNI, and have no desire to be in the Gardai whatsoever. The pay is far better, the policing plans are far superior and the prospects for us Southerners joining are FAR better than if we were in the Gardai. We can thank Patten for that, while those from the Protestant community despise him for it!

Finally, yes - all PSNI officers carry a handgun and CS incapacitant. Some even covertly carry the gun around off-duty just in case.

• Advertisement

Thanks for answering those.

Can anyone carry guns there? Or just the Police whether they are on duty or not?

You need a firearms licence on you at all times if you are carrying a firearm, and even then it can't just be for your own security. You need to be out hunting game or clay pigeon shooting etc.

The laws are very different than the Republic. You can't ever bring your service issue firearm across the border. Ever.

OK, I think this is my last question lol...

For the roleplay part.. how long are you acting it out for?

You have exactly 5 minutes in each role play, which starts the second you walk into the room. The role actor starts the digital countdown timer as soon as they see your first footstep through the door. You have 5 minutes to bring each situation to a satisfactory conclusion, or put another way, to shut the role actor up.

The situational interview lasts about 5-10 minutes but it could be longer depending on your answers to the interviewers.

The written test is about 30 minutes. I'll check up with some people who recently sat it, but I don't believe that's changed.

Keep the questions coming!

How many people are in the room with you?

Are other people acting with me, like someone else who is in the same situation as me?

Is there an audience like?

I'm going to hate this part. And there are three! I hate interviews too. :(

There are 2 assessors watching you, listening to you, writing stuff down and ticking boxes. There's an independent observer sitting somewhere at the back of the room to make sure the whole thing is done by the book and impartially. There's the role actor, and there's you.

You go into the room and they are the only 4 people that are there. Sometimes the independent observer moves from room to room during roleplays and may not be present during your roleplays.

You are alone in the roleplays. It's just you and the actor. There is no audience or viewing area. It's all done in hotel rooms.

All you have to do is be natural and be yourself. The rest is a piece of cake.

Are you required to swim at anytime of being an officer? I asked the same on the thread for the Gardaí. =]

Chatmaster wrote:
    Are you required to swim at anytime of being an officer? I asked the same on the thread for the Gardaí. =]

No swimming at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

could u explain to us some of the role plays that an applicant may come across, also does the role play get physical!? what are the situations most commonly used when one walks in that door?

• Advertisement

The role actors never ever get physical. If you feel the need to get physical with the role actor, then policing may not be for you!

The role plays are designed to test your competency in 7 areas, namely Respect for Diversity, Teamworking, Community & Customer Focus, Effective Communication, Problem Solving, Personal Responsibility and Resilience.

Each role play will be testing a combination of different competencies, so you may get an angry role actor where you would need to demonstrate Resilience - you may get a role actor with a problem where you would need to demonstrate your Problem Solving ability, or you may get a role actor who is difficult to work with where you would need to demonstrate your Teamworking skills.

Consensia have many different situations in a pool to dip from. They always change them to keep previous applicants on their toes, so I can't tell you which situations are most commonly used for this reason.

The day itself is long, and you are given a booklet to read about who you are for the day, for example, a manager of a large shopping centre like The Square in Tallaght. The role actors that will be coming to you will either be customers, shop owners within the centre you manage, colleagues on the management team with you, and so on. This is just an example of a scenario that has been used in the past, so please don't go preparing for it!

Just think of someone saying: "Well it's about bloody time..." when you walk in the door. Another role actor may come out with: "Oh thank GOD you've arrived..." and another may say something like: "John is out again today, it's the third time this week...".

Your non-verbal reactions to these statements are watched just as closely as your verbal responses are listened to, so that's why I say "be yourself", because the assessors can detect if you are a phoney a mile away.

I hope this kinda/sorta answers your questions.

paul666 wrote:
    could u explain to us some of the role plays that an applicant may come across, also does the role play get physical!? what are the situations most commonly used when one walks in that door?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement