Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Tablet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It was that price at Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

the os is gone

so no apps for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭Deank

Pile of sh!te, you'd get more entertainment from a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

the os is gone

so no apps for it

The App store is still up and running, Link below.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

It's far from a pile of ****e, but it does suffer from a lack of apps. Blackberry have said that they will be upgrading it to the new BB10 OS sometime this year...

I have the 16GB version of it and brought it on my travels to Japan last year. It handled email, browsing, facebook and twitter with ease. Battery life is good, I managed to watch 2 movies and a few tv shows on the flight to Tokyo with some battery to spare. If that's all you want it for, then it's great value. If you want it to play the latest and greatest games, then it is not the tablet for you.

Build wise, it is superior to any Android tablet you will find for a similar price. I also doubt you would find a 64GB Android tablet for that price or indeed an iPad of any type new for that price.

As I said, it depends on what you want to do with the tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It's a very good tablet and it's a decent price but it's been that price for ages so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Defo a good tablet. I'll tell you exactly what you need to know about it.

The OS is great, the build quality is great, the sound quality is great, the screen is great, the price is great.
    Literally the one thing that stops it being the tablet of choice is App World, and its lack of decent apps.

The new upgraded OS is coming out "soon" that will go some way to solving that though. All the developers, instead of making apps for the new OS and the old OS, are just making them for the new OS, which makes sense.

Read the crackberry forums for all the rumours about when the new OS will be out. Some saying it'll be July: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-forums-f242/

So, in terms of what its good for, the tablet is great for watching films and TV episodes while in bed/travelling, good for browsing since it has one of the best performing internet browsers. It also has the standard Facebook and twitter apps and Angry Birds, Jetpack Joyride and a good few of the well known common games and apps. Its missing Skype and Netflix, and won't get them until the new OS upgrade.

It does come with an Office app that lets you read and write to Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents.

Its specs are the same as an iPad 2, except with more RAM. Its main competition is the Nexus 7, which has a way better CPU and all the popular apps, but doesnt feel as solid and the sound isnt as good and films are better to watch on the Playbook. The nexus 7 is around €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Had one of this ****e a year or so ago.not impressed with speed,lack of apps,and BT working only with BB devices.149 euro is still too much for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

faral wrote: »
    Had one of this ****e a year or so ago.not impressed with speed,lack of apps,and BT working only with BB devices.149 euro is still too much for that

i agree a load of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

What were you specifically trying to do over bluetooth, and with what phone? It's a no-brainer that BB Bridge is for BB phones only, and I use the Nokia C7's bluetooth with my Playbook to tether it. Companies can be very choosy about the BT capabilities in the devices they sell.

What version of the OS was it running a year ago? The version 1 OS was bad, no question. Have you tried updating the firmware, or has it just been left unused since then? I'm running Playbook OS 2.1 on mine (the latest version), and it's quite good. The lack of apps, and that they're more expensive on the Playbook is still a problem. That being said, it's a decent entertainment and browsing device for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

the os is gone

so no apps for it

They're rolling out BB10 for it

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

What were you specifically trying to do over bluetooth, and with what phone? It's a no-brainer that BB Bridge is for BB phones only, and I use the Nokia C7's bluetooth with my Playbook to tether it. Companies can be very choosy about the BT capabilities in the devices they sell.

What version of the OS was it running a year ago? The version 1 OS was bad, no question. Have you tried updating the firmware, or has it just been left unused since then? I'm running Playbook OS 2.1 on mine (the latest version), and it's quite good. The lack of apps, and that they're more expensive on the Playbook is still a problem. That being said, it's a decent entertainment and browsing device for the money.
    specifically I tried to copy movies from my lap without any cable,as I do between my nokia and lap.The same with photos.I dont remember any more version of OS but whet I turned on for the first time it started upgrading to newer version though.I returned PB after 3 weeks back to Currys.
    The fact that new BB10 is "on the way" does not mean nothing as hardware might no be able to handle it correctly.PB is 2 years old now so in terms of electronic this is a dinosaur

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

the os is gone

so no apps for it
    Deank wrote: »
    Pile of sh!te, you'd get more entertainment from a blackboard.
    gustafo wrote: »
    i agree a load of rubbish
    /thread then? Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

Good thread for people who are interested in this.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

specifically I tried to copy movies from my lap without any cable,as I do between my nokia and lap.The same with photos.I dont remember any more version of OS but whet I turned on for the first time it started upgrading to newer version though.I returned PB after 3 weeks back to Currys.
    The fact that new BB10 is "on the way" does not mean nothing as hardware might no be able to handle it correctly.PB is 2 years old now so in terms of electronic this is a dinosaur

By "I tried to copy movies from my lap without any cable,as I do between my nokia and lap" would you mean bluetooth? BT has an awfully low data rate (up to 3Mbps without HS for BT3 iirc), it would take ages to copy any large file. The PB can share files over WiFi, then you can connect to it as a normal Windows network share. Even with WiFi sharing, a congested/crap hotspot will still slow things down considerably.

If you were copying the movies over to your Nokia phone the software you were using may have transcoded them for you automatically. More than likely this would make them smaller - that wouldn't happen with a PB. That would not be a fair scenario, because both devices are not being given the same amount of data.

Common sense would dictate that you'd copy large files over a wired connection. There are plenty of fair criticisms of the PB but that situation isn't one of them.

Your point about BB10 is actually realistic though. Considering the latest Blackberry devices have 2GB of RAM and a better CPU, it will be interesting to see what compromises they have to make to fit BB10 on the Playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Could you root this and put an Android OS on it?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Not as far as I know. It has been tried without success. One of BB's USPs is security...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Esel wrote: »
    Not as far as I know. It has been tried without success. One of BB's USPs is security...

Pity, could have been another HP Touchpad sucess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,952 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Did buy one recently, knew all the negatives going in and that any full OS update would take a while. Advantages though we're the memory, the build quality, hdmi out, front and rear camera. Apps are the weak point, most essential stuff is there, sideloading some android apps in an option but not the same choice of stuff you get with android

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Super-Rush wrote: »

I haven't read anything about it in a long while, but i think you could install Android ICS Launcher, which is an app that makes it look like Android.

You can install (by side-loading) a lot of Android Apps on it.

More info below (Tons more in other threads)
    http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/playbook-android-apps/
    http://www.it-hall.com/2434/install-android-app-in-playbook-using-bbhtool/
    http://crackberry.com/ddpb-installer-utility-blackberry-playbook-updated-v109
    http://gridbook.org/pb-app-mgr/

Loads more info on it. Did make me tempted to buy one.

That and, everywhere i read about the Playbook, users tend to love it out of the box. Always gets great reviews. Very rarely hear of anyone unhappy with it.

That said, it was cheaper at Christmas, and has been that price since last summer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I love mine but I'm a bit biased when it comes to BlackBerry but saying that as a two year old device they managed to shift 370,000 of them last quarter (yes heavily discounted but who cares).

Re appworld. It is and will continue to be supported by BlackBerry in the future. It's due (as others have said) to get an upgrade to it's OS to BB10 (Which is the new BlackBerry OS on the new BB10 devices) and will also continue to have access to BlackBerry appworld (or BlackBerry World as it is now known as). There's been no specific dates for BB10 launch but it is coming and BB10 is getting skype and netflix apps.

Well worth picking up to be honest as it is a bargain for the spec. Particularly if you're torn between it and a budget Android tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,952 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Got one but sold it to my brother when I got a Samsung note 10 inch. It probably has the easiest OS I've used on either a phone or a tablet and I only really sold it because it didn't have netflix and my personal preference was for a bigger one. For what I use tablets for with college documents it is great other than the netflix and I was very impressed with the demonstration video that they have on to show the display. Netflix is coming soon to it though so that drawback is gone. I'd recommend it to people at that price definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If anyone's looking for one cheap, I have a 16GB one for sale in my signature, pretty much new and has a 3 year warranty. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭CFC007

If anyone's looking for one cheap, I have a 16GB one for sale in my signature, pretty much new and has a 3 year warranty. :o

PM sent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

The lad above is selling a second hand 16gb for 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

subway wrote: »
    The lad above is selling a second hand 16gb for 100

Ahh..

Advertisement