Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

• 09-03-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No doubt there will be numerous threads on this subject, so I thought I would pre-empt them and create a sticky.

Can I buy a phone in the US and use it over here?

Yes, but it must be the GSM/AT&T model, purchased SIM-free directly from Apple. Handsets purchased from Verizon will not work with the GSM carriers here as they do not take a SIM card. Handsets purchased from AT&T usually come with a minimum-term contract and are locked to the AT&T network.

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three/Other SIM in an iPhone purchased from a mobile carrier?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it, or have your carrier Unlock it.

It is important to note that some Irish carriers are now unlocking iPhones officially - please consult your carrier for more info.

I purchased my iPhone directly from Apple. Is it unlocked?

Yes. iPhones purchased from Apple.ie or from Apple stores are factory unlocked.

Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. iClarified have a jailbreak wizard to show you step-by-step how to jailbreak any device here.

What's the difference between Jailbreaking an iPhone and unlocking it?

Jailbreaking allows you to install non-App Store programs. Unlocking it allows you to use the iPhone on any GSM network.

Can't I just buy an unlocked phone?

You can, but only directly from Apple or authorised Apple retailers (or on adverts.ie / eBay). It is simply a matter of walking into a phone shop and purchasing one, bringing it home, and popping in your SIM card. You cannot purchased unlocked iPhones in the USA, as they are locked to AT&T.

How do I jailbreak / unlock my iPhone?

If your carrier will not unlock your phone officially, then you will need to jailbreak & unlock.

See the unlocking wizard on iClarified here.

At the time of this writing, all iOS devices & every iOS can be jailbroken. However, newer devices and iOS's require a "tethered" jailbreak.

Tethered - If your device is ever powered off, you will need to connect it to a computer and run redsn0w to turn it back on.

iOS 3.1.2 - 4.0.1
    Untethered

Every device on iOS versions 3.1.2 - 4.0.1 can be jailbroken by visiting http://www.jailbreakme.com in safari on their iDevice.
    iOS 4.0.2 - 4.1
    Untethered

Every device on iOS versions 4.0.2 - 4.1 can be jailbroken with redsn0w.
    iOS 4.2 (4.2.1)
    Some tethered, some untethered.

Every device on iOS 4.2 (4.2.1) can be jailbroken with redsn0w.

However, the following devices require a tethered jailbreak on this iOS:
    iPhone 3GS New Bootrom
    iPhone 4
    iPod touch 2nd Gen New Bootrom
    iPod touch 3rd & 4th Gen
    iPad

All others have an untethered jailbreak.
    redsn0w - Windows
    redsn0w - OSX

Unlock
    Currently, the following basebands can be unlocked:
    01.59.00 (iPhone 4)
    04.26.08 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    05.11.07 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    05.12.01 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    05.13.04 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    06.15.00 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    If you are on a qualifying baseband, simply run cydia on your jailbroken iPhone and install "ultrasn0w".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

I know 3G iPhone on 2.2.1 can be jailbroken, but can it be unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    I know 3G iPhone on 2.2.1 can be jailbroken, but can it be unlocked?
    If it has been upgraded to 2.2.1 normally (via iTunes) then no you can't:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/74278878/close-the-stable-door
    The Yellowsn0w version has been updated to 0.9.7. Yellowsn0w is available from Cydia or Installer - this version allows compatibility with pwned 2.2.1 system (not baseband). Again„ remember 0.9.7 yellowsn0w DOES NOT WORK WITH 2.2.1 (02.30.03) directly - you need to be running a ‘pwned’ version of 2.2.1 which didn’t upgrade the baseband during the restore/upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You may be able to work around the 2.2.1 sim lock by using a turbosim type device. These are wideley available on ebay. You put one into the sim holder with your SIM card and insert it into the phone, tricking it into thinking it has an O2 (or whatever network its locked to) SIM. Some people report success with these things, some report failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Anyone have a link to a turbo sim that people have had success on 2.2.1?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jorus

Hey,

Just wondering can O2 unlock the iphone if you have spent a certain amount on your phone - they do that for other phones once you have spent a good few hundred euro.

Anyone know if I call would they unlock the iphone for me - want to move to Meteor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to a turbo sim that people have had success on 2.2.1?

Thanks

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Guys, can we keep discussion and questions for threads in the forum. This thread is for info only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VB1962

There is good news for the eager beaVERS WHO DIDNT WAIT FOR THE IPHONE DEV TEAM TO GIVE THEM AN ALL CLEAR FOR 2.2.1 _ Big Boss( on cydia) has released a baseband downgrader ! Now you can use yellowsn0w to unlock your iphone 3G . For more info on how to jailbreak an iphone 3G go onto blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

VB1962 wrote: »
    There is good news for the eager beaVERS WHO DIDNT WAIT FOR THE IPHONE DEV TEAM TO GIVE THEM AN ALL CLEAR FOR 2.2.1 _ Big Boss( on cydia) has released a baseband downgrader ! Now you can use yellowsn0w to unlock your iphone 3G . For more info on how to jailbreak an iphone 3G go onto blog.iphone-dev.org/

Does this mean now that whatever iPhone i get i.e. an 02 locked one or one with the newest frimware on it i am now able to unlock it.
    Thanks just want to clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VB1962

Yes this will work aslong as you jailbreak the phone and install the downgrader and then the yellowsn0w patch which is all avaliable on cydia .The iphone dev page and iclarrified are good pages to visit if you have never tried something like jailbreaking before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

The iphone modem 02.30.02 can be downgraded to 02.28.02 (the unlockable one) if your bootloader is 5.8 using an app called fuzzyband.
    If your iphone is running 2.2.1 you can still jailbreak using pwnage tool 2.2.5 or quickpawn.
    Once your iphone is jailbroken search for fuzzyband in cydia and install.
    Open the app and it automatically checks your modem and what bootloader your using. If its 5.8 your in business. Downgrade and install yellowsn0w.
    Your iphone is now unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shane'O

How do you tell what version your Iphone is ? The box in which mine came just says iPhone 3G on it :confused: It was bought in December 08

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

Shane'O wrote: »
    How do you tell what version your Iphone is ? The box in which mine came just says iPhone 3G on it :confused: It was bought in December 08

You need to go to setting>General>about it'll tell you what version your running and what modem firmware your on. You'll be able to jailbreak your iphone whatever baseband or modem your on but you won't know what bootloader your using till you jailbreak and run fuzzyband.

I just downgraded my 3G on 2.2.1 with 02.30.03 successfully using Fuzzyband. It was dead easy. I already had it jailbroken so i just installed fuzzyband with Cydia, ran it, saw that I had the correct bootloader version and then ran the downgrade. Installed yellowsn0w afterwards and successfully unlocked - although I did have to reboot the phone before it would take a Vodafone SIM for the first time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

if i unlock an o2 3g iphone or buy one that is unlocked is it possible to use the vodafone isp internet settings on it or is it still preset for o2?

You can configure it with whatever settings you like. It has the o2 stuff pre-set but there's nothing stopping you from changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

florida wrote: »
    if i unlock an o2 3g iphone or buy one that is unlocked is it possible to use the vodafone isp internet settings on it or is it still preset for o2?

Unlocked a 16gb iphone 3g s from o2 using purplera1n and ultrasn0w. Absolutely zero probs. Took 10 mins including inserting voda-sim and changing settings! And when you go back to o2 sim, o2's settings are right back where they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Just trying to play it safe….I noticed that you can unlock your 3gs with purplerain or redsnow…is there are preference which one to use? Also I noticed that purplerain does not create any kind of backup?
    Is there something to watch for except simple instructions that are outlined on given websites? Should I make any kind of backup? How hard is it to go back to original Apple firmware if I wish to do so at any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

TheOneToBe wrote: »
    Just trying to play it safe….I noticed that you can unlock your 3gs with purplerain or redsnow…is there are preference which one to use? Also I noticed that purplerain does not create any kind of backup?
    Is there something to watch for except simple instructions that are outlined on given websites? Should I make any kind of backup? How hard is it to go back to original Apple firmware if I wish to do so at any point?
    purplerain will jailbreak your iphone 3gs, then you need ultrasn0w to unlock afaik
    no just follow the very simple instructions
    when you jailbreak, you will lose all your stuff on the phone, easy put back on
    to put back apple firmware, just plug in phone to pc, open itunes, and hit iphone restore, everything back to the way you bought it, you cant go wrong !

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/06/how-to-use-purplera1n-to-jailbreak-iphone-3gs-3g-s/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Just used purplera1n to jailbreak my 3GS! Perfick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Purplesn0w now released !!!
    Geohot has just released his own iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS software unlock and named it purplesn0w. Who is purplesn0w for? If you own a jailbroken iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS and you want to unlock it to use it with another carrier (T-Mobile only in the USA), then purplesn0w is for you. Are you experiencing wifi/battery/other unlocking problems after using ultrasn0w? Then I highly recommend you try purplesn0w. Geohot says that it’s the best unlock out there.
    purplesn0w patches three files: CommCenter, lockdownd, and wildcard. It also uses tha at+xlog exploit that Oranav found. As of right now purplesn0w is in beta, but I thought I’d post it here since a lot of users here have been reporting issues with the current ultrasn0w unlock from the iPhone Dev Team. If you’re using a jailbroken iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS and want to unlock, please try purplesn0w and tell us how it goes.
    Here is how to install purplesn0w:

* Make sure you have a legit activated iPhone 3G or 3GS. If you have T-Mobile make sure ou disable 3G in the settings.
    • Open Cydia, and add http://apt.geohot.com to your sources
    • Install the com.geohot.purplesn0w package
    • Watch for the success output in Cydia
    • Reboot your iPhone 3G/3GS
    Once you have followed the steps above, your iPhone 3G/3GS should be unlocked!
    http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/07/make-it-ra1n-im-makin-it-sn0w.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Likewise. :)

Didn't have any instructions with the .exe, but after running it found an icon called "Freeze" which when opened downloaded something and then sat there. I closed it and when I rebooted I had Cydia installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

@Dades, a case of RTFM!? LOL

Yeah...how easy is that!!!!!! Zero probs so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

@Dades, a case of RTFM!? LOL
    I didn't get a FM. :D

BOBBY wrote: »
    purplerain will jailbreak your iphone 3gs, then you need ultrasn0w to unlock afaik
    no just follow the very simple instructions
    when you jailbreak, you will lose all your stuff on the phone, easy put back on
    to put back apple firmware, just plug in phone to pc, open itunes, and hit iphone restore, everything back to the way you bought it, you cant go wrong !

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/06/how-to-use-purplera1n-to-jailbreak-iphone-3gs-3g-s/

When I jailbreak-ed/broke....and unlocked via purplera1n I lost nothing on my phone!!!!!!!!! All official apps, songs, vids etc were still there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭innocenteyesuk

sorry wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

If I purchase a 3gs off o2 today for example...

Can I just simply unlock it and throw in my vodafone sim card? Is that all there is to it? I really want an iPhone, but dont wanna sacrafice my free vodafone calls (most of my contacts are vodafone!)

Can I carry on using iTunes as usual? Syncing new music/apps wont lock the phone and make it unusable?? Would be terribly afraid of the phone locking on me and being left with a 600 quid paperweight! :eek:

EDIT: also meant to ask... if I download an iPhone software update off iTunes, will this lock the phone for good? Or is it just a case of jailbreaking/unlocking it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

maninblack wrote: »
    If I purchase a 3gs off o2 today for example...

Can I just simply unlock it and throw in my vodafone sim card? Is that all there is to it? I really want an iPhone, but dont wanna sacrafice my free vodafone calls (most of my contacts are vodafone!)

Can I carry on using iTunes as usual? Syncing new music/apps wont lock the phone and make it unusable?? Would be terribly afraid of the phone locking on me and being left with a 600 quid paperweight! :eek:

EDIT: also meant to ask... if I download an iPhone software update off iTunes, will this lock the phone for good? Or is it just a case of jailbreaking/unlocking it again?

Yes very simple to unlock. Yes you can use itunes,sync music/apps as normal..however you CAN NOT download the latest iPhone software off itunes as this will cause the phone to lock again. The only way to unlock it at that point is wait and hope the dev team release a new unlock hack for that sofware......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭McGaz23

i just got an iphone that was unlocked to all networks but i stupidly connected to itunes and updated the software!!! I didnt know it would lock it again! does anyone now if there is a way to undo what i did or just unlock it again?

Advertisement