Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol Station attendants

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Lia_lia wrote: »
    "Best petrol in Killarney" according to my brother! Whatever that means.

make mine a pint then :D

my mrs loves the smell of petrol, when we had a petrol lawnmower as i was filling it up she would pick up the red container and just sniff it! - weird! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Which opens up the question, who locks their car when they go into shop to pay? (especially if it hasnt got remote control central locking) -

Who doesn't lock their cars!! That's madness. Let me leave this expensive item unsecured. It's like people who leave their car running, doors unlocked and go back into the house whilst the car warms up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Muahahaha wrote: »
    actually youre right, it would be even less than €2.50 profit on €30 of petrol. Profit margins are tiny in selling fuel, its the shops sales that keep them afloat.

For independently owned dealers (could be flying any brand), gross margins are between 4-8cent per litre.

Esso, Topaz and Maxol sites actually owned by the companies are making between 10-12 cent per litre on fuel sales, Applegreen owned sites make about 8-10 cpl on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

blackwhite wrote: »
    For independently owned dealers (could be flying any brand), gross margins are between 4-8cent per litre.

Esso, Topaz and Maxol sites actually owned by the companies are making between 10-12 cent per litre on fuel sales, Applegreen owned sites make about 8-10 cpl on fuel

You need to sell a lot of fuel to pay for the overheads of a petrol station with those margins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Just to balance up the slagging off petrol pump attendants.
    I had that job when I was 14 and never made a mistake.
    In 2003 I bought a new car, my first diesel, and filled it up with petrol.
    I blame myself because, at one time, I was a petrol pump attendant.

Who doesn't lock their cars!! That's madness. Let me leave this expensive item unsecured. It's like people who leave their car running, doors unlocked and go back into the house whilst the car warms up in the morning.

They do though - quite a lot of people do it. Same as a lot of people leave their cars unlocked at the pump why they go pay for the petrol. I dare say if their car is nicked they wont be doing it again!

heres a thought though, if you go to your insurance company after your cars nicked off the forecourt .... and it turns out you didnt lock the car, can they renegade on fulfilling the claim???

Same if your car was nicked off your drive and you hadnt locked it, will they fulfil your claim???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I've a friend who, for some reason, was scared of filling her car up with petrol when she first started driving. For about a year she used to go into the shop and ask for a staff member to fill her car with petrol. I found it bizarre. Was only 3 or 4 years ago so never really any petrol attendants around, usually ended up being shopkeepers.

I know a guy who worries that the pump won't stop itself when the tank is full. When has that ever happened??

diomed wrote: »
    Just to balance up the slagging off petrol pump attendants.
    I had that job when I was 14 and never made a mistake.
    In 2003 I bought a new car, my first diesel, and filled it up with petrol.
    I blame myself because, at one time, I was a petrol pump attendant.

why does a petrol nozzle fit into a Diesel tanks neck in the first place? - thats what I want to know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Super-Rush wrote: »
    One of the petrol stations down here in Carlow has an attendant still.

He's not a million miles from Pat Shortts character in The Garage either.

I know where you're talking about. I won't say in public here cos it wouldn't be fair on him.

• Advertisement

I would like to know what happens if you are one of these people who fill your tank up and has it full all the time (not people who drive extra long distances I can see why they fill it right up, to stop them keep having to stop to fill up on their way) - but people who do short journeys but always have a full tank, isnt the weight of a full tank of petrol gonna use err... um... more fuel and extra wear on the tyres? - and also if your in a crash with a full tank of petrol and it leaks out there will be a bigger explosion?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Do women shake the petrol pump after filling up or is it just a man thing?

I do!

Never thought about the attendant thing - wouldn't consider it something to overthink. All petrol stations I go to are self-service, except for one, which has a bunch of attendants hanging out on the forecourt - all young lads, who are well into their cars; they seem to love it. It's good, as it's in a rough enough area so it keeps them out of trouble. They wash cars too and pump tyres and the like. Even if you got out of your car they'd take the pump off you anyway and continue the job. I can't complain if it's rainy/cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

an attendant to fill you up

Giggity giggity

cruais wrote: »
    Giggity giggity

Re-phrase : Fill your car up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

my first ever job was a petrol pump attendant at 15 years of age. i remember one time i broke somebody's key while opening the petrol cap. it was the same key he used to drive the van. he had to ring his wife to bring him home and push the van out of the way of the pumps. I wasnt very good at my job now i think of it : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You need to sell a lot of fuel to pay for the overheads of a petrol station with those margins!

Hence the growth of unmanned stations in Europe

And back to the op, takes a lot of fuel to cover the cost of an extra pump attendant

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

petrol or diesel?

cash or creditcard?

Advertisement