Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rental Cars! - Do you get looked after??

Options
  • 16-03-2015 5:40pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So here goes. (This was initially going to be a review of the car I had this last weekend when I went over to the rugby game in Wales (C200 DCI Sport), but I've just decided to do a general rental car thread themed type thing).

I travel quite a bit with work, and as such I rent a lot of cars, I'm at the highest tier level of both Avis & Hertz (10 years plus as a member), and as such, am treated to some decent cars when I rent. When in the U.K. I always use Hertz, and always book an Auto (just the smallest/cheapest on the website, which they never have in stock, so I always get upgraded).

Recent cars rented to me (cars worth a mention anyway) in the last 12 months include;

Mercedes C200 DCI Sport
    Volvo XC90 D5 SE LUX
    Volvo V40 XC D2 SE LUX
    Audi Q3 2.0D S-Line Auto
    Mercedes CLS 350 AMG Sport
    Mercedes S350
    Mercedes E350 AMG Sport Coupe
    Mercedes E220 SE Auto
    Mercedes C200 CDI Exec
    Mercedes ML 350 AMG Sport
    Audi A4 2.0D S-Line Estate
    Volvo XC60 DE SE LUX
    Audi A5 Sportback 3.0D S-Line

These and a whole host of other cars I have driven over the last 12 months, and enjoyed them all.
    I do particularly enjoy when on the bus pulling into the rental car village at Manchester airport and there are a few 'business' types on the bus that were on the same Aer Lingus flight as me (I say business types, because I am not a business type, I'm an engineer, and usually travel in a pair of jeans and an old dirty hoody). And as they are getting into their Focus/Golf/Passat/Whatever, They see me rolling past them in a car that wouldn't look out of place in a Bond movie and I'm not going to lie, I enjoy it a little (oh the little things in life).

So anyway, I guess the point of this thread now (as it's not going to be a review of the C220, although now would be a good time to start doing high end car reviews, as there might be a job in it somewhere down the line, maybe with the BBC) is to talk about rental cars, and more specifically the nicer ones that you have driven, whether through luck, or any other means.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some awful pieces of crap too over the years, so I do get my fair share (Dacia Logan & Renault Kangoo in France springs to mind), but I do get looked after as well from time to time.

So, what about you? best/worst rental cars driven?

for me,
    best: Mercedes E350 AMG Sport Coupe - what an animal, and then I found the sport mode selector.
    worst: Dacia Logan - collected it from Nantes airport, drove into the very next Avis depot on my route and swapped it for a real car.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When in the U.K. I always use Hertz, and always book an Auto (just the smallest/cheapest on the website, which they never have in stock, so I always get upgraded).

Nice angle and I do like a decent autobox but the risk of actually getting something with a 1.0 mated to a CVT sends shivers down my spine and not in a good way

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Best : 2012 porsche 911 targa I got for a week in Tuscany as a thank you for been best man for a friend, was amazing car and setting.
    worst: lancia epslon eco, id to drive to Pisa Airport for the flight home, no car could have made that drive any better after the 911.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

2010 S350 in Germany. Got pulled by the cops for a random check, bit nerve racking as they were dressed like knackers. I also nearly killed us all at 200kph. Good times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Nice angle and I do like a decent autobox but the risk of actually getting something with a 1.0 mated to a CVT sends shivers down my spine and not in a good way

Well, when I say the cheapest, it's the cheapest that I see when I go to book while logged in, which is always a Volkswagen Jetta Auto.
    To this day I have never driven a Volkswagen Jetta.

2010 S350 in Germany. Got pulled by the cops for a random check, bit nerve racking as they were dressed like knackers. I also nearly killed us all at 200kph. Good times.

The S350 I had a few months ago was brand spanking new!! The entire dashboard was just 1 big lcd screen.
    Didn't feel like I was driving a car, rather navigating a ship!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The S350 I had a few months ago was brand spanking new!! The entire dashboard was just 1 big lcd screen.
    Didn't feel like I was driving a car, rather navigating a ship!!

Aye, this was the same back in 2010, brand new bus. Didn't like the S at all; toys were cool but the driving experience is numb. Prefer my E66 any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Whatever car you get the key thing is to take every insurance that's available to make your excess as close to zero as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I use www.arguscarhire.com when renting a car for personal use, really really low cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Hired a car for the first time during the train strike a few years ago. I was 24 and extremely chuffed to be handed the keys to a brand new C180!
    It's been downhill from there since unfortunately, the ignominy of a Kia Rio saloon 1.5d...

Cui bono?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I use www.arguscarhire.com when renting a car for personal use, really really low cost.

Don't forget you have a €1200 excess with Argus.

All the cars I mentioned in the OP were all in the U.K.

In America I've had a few Ford Mustangs including a Shelby GT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

*Kol* wrote: »

And rental companies have a knack of finding that any damage costs the price of your excess to fix. How odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Flew to Scotland to get married a few years ago and because I didn't have the paper part of my licence Hertz wouldn't hire me the 107 I'd booked. Avis next door heard about all this and offered to run a phone check on my licence, and then rented me a 2.7 A5 for an extremely discounted price, and I used all 2.7 litres to make it to the wedding on time...

Other half wasn't so lucky, she didn't have any issues renting a Chevrolet Spark, which remains one of the worst cars I have ever driven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

It is more like 1350 on the last two occassions I've rented.

My last 5 day rental in Ireland was under 37 euro all in and the next 5 day rental is about 42euro. I intentionally hired an i10 class car this time around because I've seen Dacia Sanderos on their parking lot and I expect that is what they would give me if I rented a compact.
    Last rental car was a 141 Corsa which was horrible and I had to walk back in to the office twice to report additional damage before leaving and I still didn't catch the broken indicator stalk which wouldn't cancel.

It is more like 1350 on the last two occassions I've rented.

My last 5 day rental in Ireland was under 37 euro all in and the next 5 day rental is about 42euro. I intentionally hired an i10 class car this time around because I've seen Dacia Sanderos on their parking lot and I expect that is what they would give me if I rented a compact.
    Last rental car was a 141 Corsa which was horrible and I had to walk back in to the office twice to report additional damage before leaving and I still didn't catch the broken indicator stalk which wouldn't cancel.

That's true. I had to pay €20 extra a day to get the excess to zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

That's true. I had to pay €20 extra a day to get the excess to zero.

With argus you can reduce to zero for 6 a day(insurance via Allianz).

If you rent a lot you can buy an annual insurance policy against your excess.

Or....you can buy annual excess insurance which is what I've got for 40 euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Or....you can buy annual excess insurance which is what I've got for 40 euro a year.

Who did you user for that by the way? Would you recommend them or have you been lucky enough to not need to use it

my best car was a diesel Megane (auto) was a decent enough drive, but i was most impressed by the diesel still saying "full" when i drove it from cavan town to the airport!!!

worldwideinsure but haven't had to use them as I'm paranoid about checking the car before driving it off the lot and avoid BudgetCarRental in Dublin like the plague as their cars or rather the cars they have chosen to rent to me are beaten and battered and should have been cycled out of the fleet years before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

I also avoid Budget, as they stung me for a hidden airport collection charge (guts of 50 or 60 euro if i remember) when i used them, and the car was also a complete rattle bag, so never again have i went back to them.
    My technique is to try and find a scratch (or even a water mark from a poor wash) no matter how miniscule on each corner before i leave, and get them to mark it on the sheet, so I hopefully have any bumps i may pick up already on the sheet....i have never had to use it yet, but similarly i have never had the rental lads not mark down a scratch no matter how tiny it is on the signing out sheet.

I usually refill maybe 70km from the Airport knowing that the needle will not have dropped by the time I leave it back.
    With a Megane Diesel which has a digital LCD fuel gauge if you drove lightly you could have travelled 150 to 200km before the guage drops down to 7/8th full; they might discover afterward that they can put 4 or 5 litres in to the tank but that is after they have given you the receipt with €0.00 for additional charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I use http://www.carrentals.co.uk/ and http://www.kayak.co.uk/cars

Have to say they both give the best options for seeing every car hire company.

I travel to Dublin alot and got a Quashqi the past 2 rentals which was very nice did about 900km and only used one tank of fuel!

No idea how anyone owns a Opel as the past two rentals in London was a Astra & Moka which were just ****e.

Also if you are renting 5 days + a year go get a yearly excess cover which cost me £40 for £5000 of cover which is loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭towelly

I've never had a problem with Enterprise. I'll never use Avis/Budget unless it's a last resort, I'd prefer to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

On hols in Los Angeles a couple of years ago, we had booked a Mustang convertible for 6 days, when we landed there weren't any convertibles to be had..ended up just getting dropped to the hotel with the promise that the problem would be rectified the next morning.
    They sure know customer service in the good ol US of A!
    830 next morning the rep was waiting for us with the paperwork and keys of an M6 convertible!
    Drove up and down the coast for the next 5 days!!
    Awesome car

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

For personal trips I use http://www.izzirent.com/ most of the time, they're a scanner of sorts, tend to throw up a lot of decent deals (€0 excess and the like).

For work we keep changing providers, we're using National/Europcar at the moment who I like, they don't hand you a set of keys, instead you're directed to an area in the carpark and can pick your favourite of what's parked up in that section. Can be motoring russian roulette at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

gucci wrote: »
    I also avoid Budget, as they stung me for a hidden airport collection charge (guts of 50 or 60 euro if i remember)

doesn't every car rental company charge an airport collection charge of about that amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My last personal rental was with enterprise out of Stansted.
    Booked a chevy aveo 'or similar' and the first bonus was when I asked about adding an extra driver at the desk in the terminal and they did so for free.
    Next up was the cabin in the car park where I was told they'd too many bigger cars and would I take one?
    Now it was a pretty straightforward journey, about 40 miles each way for a rugby match but the second driver bit was going to allow me have a few drinks but the catch was that too big a car would have been a deal breaker on that front so I settled for an Astra but £15 for a 1 day rental with 2 drivers wasn't bad.

The one before was with Avis out of Malaga, I booked and got a Fiat Panda. The clincher here was time, I use Avis for work and have all my details set up on their Avis Preferred system so were off the plane and on the road within 15 minutes. Our flight slipped 2 hours after booking leaving us very tight on time to get to a wedding. I drove that thing like it was a rental ;)

I always purchase car hire excess insurance, policy is underwritten by a member of the AXA Assistance group, the argus site links to it. Cheaper than the rental companies policies by quite a tad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Best has to be the Merc C180 that I rented in Frankfurt Hahn... wasn't so much the car but the fact I then took it to the Nurburgring and hammered around in it. This was a good few years back, wouldn't get away with it now as much cause they have trackers on the car and once you go near the ring then its trouble.

Advertisement