Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor tax reminder for a car we sold last year

• 05-04-2016 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I received a motor tax reminder this week for a car we sold last year. I sent the registration form at the time to the buyer.

Does this mean that they didn't register themselves as the new owner?

What can I do to get my name off the register?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You're meant to send the log book to Shannon yourself, it's in your best interest to get it out of your name asap. If you sent it to the driver, they could have done anything with it and clearly didn't register it in their name yet if you're getting tax reminders.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring Shannon and ask them what to do
    http://www.dttas.ie/corporate/english/contact-us

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Phone the motor tax office and explain that it's no longer yours.
    Give the details of the new owner.
    For future reference, you should fill out the form and send it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Do you know who you sold it to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The quicker you resolve this the better, otherwise any parking or speeding fines and toll charges will all be billed to you. It's your responsibility when selling a car to send the logbook so Shannon, not the buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

Thanks everyone. I go tin touch with Revenue and they're sending me a form to fill out that I must be stamped by a solicitor or Peace Commissioner, that declares that I sold the car. It should resolve it. Lets see.

PS To answer the question above, I didn't keep a record of the guy I sold it to. I have his number, but he's not answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just for future reference OP, when selling a car privately the seller is never to give the log book (vehicle licensing cert) to the buyer. The only time you give the log book to the buyer is when the buyer is a dealer and you are trading the car in.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

I got a toll bridge bill 5 years after selling a car.turns out it was in a young lads garage for years until he could afford the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

emmetfahy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I go tin touch with Revenue and they're sending me a form to fill out that I must be stamped by a solicitor or Peace Commissioner, that declares that I sold the car. It should resolve it. Lets see.

PS To answer the question above, I didn't keep a record of the guy I sold it to. I have his number, but he's not answering.

You will have to sign the form stating that you sold it, signed by peace commis. but you will also need to provide the name and address of the fella you sold it to on this form

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just for future reference OP, when selling a car privately the seller is never to give the log book (vehicle licensing cert) to the buyer. The only time you give the log book to the buyer is when the buyer is a dealer and you are trading the car in.

Other case where you need to give logbook to the buyer is when buyer is non-resident and buying car for export.

• Advertisement
Advertisement