Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Education is all very fine, but in most cases it is not a case of ignorance of what to do but ignorance of good manners and a contempt for others. People routinely double park for instance, not because they don't know this is wrong but because they are in hurry and they don't give a damn about anyone else. Likewise people drive in the middle lane to save themselves the trouble of changing lane and hold up traffic because they are suiting themselves and ignoring everyone else. Most tailgaters do so deliberately.

Yes, have some films showing what to do, but this needs to be followed up with some measure of enforcement.
    Agree 100%...Ireland has a lot of Me Fein "I'm alright jack" types and it shows in our driving behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

RainyDay wrote: »
    Part of the solution to this is to call people out on their behaviour. Often this isn't directly possible on the road, but sometimes it is. I was on foot tonight, and an older man in Volvo pushed forward at a junction to block the crossing point for pedestrians when the lights went red. So I did a bit of arm-waving and pointing and bladdering to call him out on his selfish driving. Maybe, just maybe, he'll think twice next time.

I wonder if you would have done the same had the car occupants were 4 big lads in tracksuits. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I wonder if you would have done the same had the car occupants were 4 big lads in tracksuits. ...

Certainly, personal safety is an issue, and I make case-by-case decisions about how to engage or whether to engage at all. Why is that significant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Patww79 wrote: »

I went over the bridge at Sandyford around 8.45am and northbound traffic was badly backed up at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Schools soon all be back. Evenings slowly cutting in.

Getting near the time again where traffic stand-stills will be almost a weekly occurrence!
    CC%20M50%20CLOSURE790.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Don't you mean daily? I actually changed jobs primarily to avoid commuting on the M50 it got so bad over the last 36 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't blame the schools, blame the pricks that can't drive properly. ;) The M50 could handle the traffic if it weren't for idiots causing slowdowns.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its more the adults who are on holidays when the schools are out, than the schools themselves. If I look at the leave calendars in work for last week and two weeks from now there's probably 4x as many people off last week.

There are campaigners who seem to think the school holiday traffic reduction is down to kids not being driven to school but that is deliberately ignoring other factors for a single minded campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Still think it's a joke been charged the full whack to sit on the m50 each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Don't blame the schools, blame the pricks that can't drive properly. ;) The M50 could handle the traffic if it weren't for idiots causing slowdowns.

Isn’t it strange that only really good drivers post on forums such as this? Full of comments about what “ other drivers “ do on the roads and how “ people “ need to learn the rules of the road.
    Come to think of it after forty years of driving I have never had a conversation with a bad driver. My friends, work colleagues, family regularly complain about the “other “drivers doing dangerous and stupid things but they themselves have never made a mistake.
    Leads me to wonder who the heck all the bad drivers out there are. Maybe I am just lucky that ALL MY acquaintances are really good drivers.: biggrin.pngwink.pngtongue.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The M50 could handle the traffic if it weren't for idiots causing slowdowns.
    i'm sure there's a theoretical limit for the amount of traffic a three lane motorway can comfortably carry per km.
    would be interesting comparing that to what the m50 is currently having to carry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Isn’t it strange that only really good drivers post on forums such as this?
    nail on head. when *i'm* stuck in a traffic jam, it's always the fault of someone ahead of me.
    whereas when you cause a traffic jam, you're not the one who gets caught in it, because you don't experience it. and you think you're great.

('you' used in the generic sense there, btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Still think it's a joke been charged the full whack to sit on the m50 each day.

There should be much higher toll at peak times, which would reduce the traffic and let it flow a bit. This could be balanced by a reduced or even no toll at quiet times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

i'm sure there's a theoretical limit for the amount of traffic a three lane motorway can comfortably carry per km.
    would be interesting comparing that to what the m50 is currently having to carry.

67,000 AADT is the recommended for proper flow for D3M. Much of the M50 is almost D4M which is 90,000 AADT.

The worst bits of the M50 are at 133,000 AADT year to date.

We need better orbital public transport, much better public transport to business centres - many had their bus routes destroyed in Network Direct and no improvements, huge capacity increases on commuter rail as currently its a nicer experience to sit in a traffic jam than stand under someones armpit for 50 minutes; and then maybe we need to look at further orbital roads.

There should be much higher toll at peak times, which would reduce the traffic and let it flow a bit. This could be balanced by a reduced or even no toll at quiet times.
    i would disagree, as the toll is not proportionate in the sense that it penalises you based on where you live (it's not an M50 toll, it's a west link toll). i work with a bunch of guys, 5 or 6 people, who use the M50 to get to work - and none of them pay the toll.
    drive between junction 6 and 7 - pay the toll. drive between junction 7 and 17 - no toll.

L1011 wrote: »
    67,000 AADT is the recommended for proper flow for D3M. Much of the M50 is almost D4M which is 90,000 AADT.

AADT?

AADT?

Average annual daily traffic. Usually traffic drops off in summer during peak but increases during non-peak due to tourist and leisure traffic which is why annualised figures are used.

so the M50 *is* operating well beyond its sensible capacity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The M50 is supposed to be a relief road to take traffic off already chock a block local roads. Increasing the toll and diverting more traffic back onto those roads is crazy IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We need DART Underground to substantially increase the capacity of city centre rail networks, Metro North to sort out the car dependent Airport and Swords and multi point tolling to discourage any unnecessary journeys off the M50 at peak times.

How many people use the M50 at peak times that could make the journey at another time?

Metro North is scheduled to open in 2027, DART Underground has no opening date. The M50 won't take these traffic increases over the next few years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M50 is supposed to be a relief road to take traffic off already chock a block local roads. Increasing the toll and diverting more traffic back onto those roads is crazy IMO.
    No it isn't. It was supposed to be a bypass of Dublin, but has turned into a mega congested distributor road. The fact that there's 4 junctions north of the Liffey and 10 south of the Liffey is a major cause of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

to think those morons in charge have knocked back MN and du at a time of housing crisis and wait for this Autumn on, when there will be a commuting crisis, beggars belief!

5 years minimum of procrastination and waffle on a scheme that already has planning on the revised or inferior scheme, whatever you want to call it! I'm sure the third world infrastructure wont be high up the priority list come budget time. But there will be more money found no problem for our world class welfare system...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

L1011 wrote: »

We need better orbital public transport, much better public transport to business centres - many had their bus routes destroyed in Network Direct and no improvements, huge capacity increases on commuter rail as currently its a nicer experience to sit in a traffic jam than stand under someones armpit for 50 minutes; and then maybe we need to look at further orbital roads.

I calculated the level of resources needed to provide something approaching an attractive orbital bus service for the M50 last year and posted it in this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98139312&postcount=480

so the M50 *is* operating well beyond its sensible capacity?

Yes, midweek AADT between N4 and N7 appears to be 164000!!!
    https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfdaysreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001503&reportdate=2016-08-25&enddate=2016-08-25

It is going to be pure brutal in 2 weeks.

A higher toll at peak with some sort of bus express services priced below the toll should have been a feature from the beginning.

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfdaysreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001503&reportdate=2016-08-25&enddate=2016-08-25

A higher toll at peak with some sort of bus express services priced below the toll should have been a feature from the beginning.
    Peaking at 164k on a Thursday before the summer even finishes is really bad news. It was at or around 160k all summer.

It will be interesting to see how bad it is tomorrow. Its always higher on Fridays.

marno21 wrote: »

Peaking at 164k on a Thursday before the summer even finishes is really bad news. It was at or around 160k all summer.

It will be interesting to see how bad it is tomorrow. Its always higher on Fridays.

Friday isn't much different from Thursday, but there is significantly more traffic around 3pm as people head off early.

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfdaysreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000001503&reportdate=2016-08-10&enddate=2016-08-19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

Theres unlikely to be an M50 fix in the next 10 years, nothing that will materially improve the experience anyway. Even with infinite cash and no challenge to the planning processes it would take that long

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

trellheim wrote: »
    Theres unlikely to be an M50 fix in the next 10 years, nothing that will materially improve the experience anyway. Even with infinite cash and no challenge to the planning processes it would take that long
    Your suggestion of a planning process challenge suggests a possible widening of the motorway. This would be a waste of money. There needs to be viable alternatives to the car, not a bigger road. The road isn't the problem, it's users are!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement