Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PME Primary Teaching.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Anyone get offered a place in Maynooth? Any idea about dates/forms that need to be sent back etc? Just got back to Ireland and was expecting some letters from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruaella

Not yet! Knowing Mary I, it could be around the Leaving Cert results/after before we get anything. Orientation is the 4th though according to the Mary I website :-)

Have you heard anything from Mary I in the last week or so ? I was expecting to get a letter or something but still have heard nothing and I am beginning to get a little worried haha but maybe this is the norm :) Thanks ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Ruaella wrote: »
    Have you heard anything from Mary I in the last week or so ? I was expecting to get a letter or something but still have heard nothing and I am beginning to get a little worried haha but maybe this is the norm :) Thanks ðŸ˜႒

As of last Friday, I haven't heard anything yet. Although considering they'll need us to pay fees within the next 2 weeks I'm sure we'll get a lovely bundle of post this week..She hopes! Timetables probably Friday week, going on previous years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruaella

As of last Friday, I haven't heard anything yet. Although considering they'll need us to pay fees within the next 2 weeks I'm sure we'll get a lovely bundle of post this week..She hopes! Timetables probably Friday week, going on previous years :D

Thank you so much for getting back to me :) Ooh I hope so really looking forward to getting started and seeing what our timetable is like 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2 candycat

Hello everyone- I'm thinking of doing this course in 2015- does anyone know the total fee per anum for the PME?

When I went searching it said online that the fee was €2782 per semester- just wondering what the full fee is as am not sure is it two or three semesters per year? Any info would be greatly appreciated, contacted Mary I but they couldn't get anyone to talk to me... Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 1989tipp2014

Hiya,

I'm also thinking about doing this course in 2015 - I rang the admissions office in Pat's and Maynooth and they both said about €11,500 for the full two years.
    Can you give any tips for applying for this course? Like what sort of experience would help in the interview?

I decided I wanted to do this course about a year and a half ago but wanted to finish my accountancy exams before even though its a job I've grown to hate. I had always wanted to do primary teaching but didnt get enough points in the leaving cert and sort of fell into working in accountancy after I finished my business degree because I didnt know what I wanted to do.

I'll be 26 going back to do it - is there more people my age in the course or is it mostly undergrad graduates just coming out of college?

Any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2 candycat

Hi,

I imagine they will look for any experience you have working with kids in any capacity or teaching in any capacity eg TEFL or coaching sport or grinds. I have very little experience myself and will try to get observation of classes in a local primary because at least this shows interest where I have no solid experience.

I'll be applying myself for the coming September in Mary I limerick, and I will be 28 by then- I will be retraining after deciding the career I had chosen is not for me.

Anyone who has done this course care to tell us anything??
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laursheenbop

Hey everyone,
    Im sure I will probably repeat some of the questions previously asked but anyway, here goes. So I applied for the HDip that began this Sept and I didn't get it. I will try again. Did anyone hear when the applications will open, I'm assuming around April like last year. Can anyone suggest any Irish conversation classes outside of the big smoke (Dublin). I live in the midlands if anyone knows of a course. I found the interviews strange last year, I thought the English one went quite well but it turns out it wasn't fantastic, although it wasn't that bad either. I found that the feedback was not all that helpful for me to try to work on my problem areas.
    Anyway, lets all post any useful info we have here and hope for the best.
    Laura :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ayeates

I have a degree in law and nuaghaeilge and an hoping to secondary teaching. I looked on the teaching website and law does not qualify as a subject for cspe so I'm wondering is there any way around this. If I take modules in my first year subject (English) would this boost my employibilty ? Although this takes another full year study.

I've also heard some UK schools teach Irish and you can teach law at a-level. Any informatinformation or ideas would be most helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aston011

hi all, I am just wondering those of you who are doing the PME in mary I how are you finding it? What are the lecturers like and are they supportive? What was your experience on teaching practice? What are the exams like? Are you enjoying the course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SinG36

Hi everyone,
    I am also planning to apply for this course but I would love to know how it is? How many lecture hours a week? What are the assignments like? Any advice or opinions?

I'd be so grateful to hear anything....thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 twin1992

Hi!
    I started the PME course in primary education in Marino in September, I absolutely love it! Its extremely intense though so you have to be able to put your all into it! We were 9-5 tuesday-thursday and on mondays we were in the schools we were going to be teaching in in November for 10 Mondays of observing/getting to know the class. The first semester wasn't too full on, there wasnt many assignments, we have an Art one due for tomorrow :/ and another for March, we had one P.E exam but our big exam really this semester just gone was out first teaching practice, we were given the senior end of the school, I had 6th class boys for three weeks, I loved it but a lot of planning, prepping etc goes into it but really worthwhile! One of the modules we are doing has us teaching mini lessons and telling stories to children in local schools to get us striaght into the classroom environment, within 3 weeks of starting the course we were up in front of our new class storytelling like eejits ! and then straight into the schools

Lecturers are extremely supportive in Marino, they are or were teachers themselves so they know the craic! We all have our won tutors and peer mentors from the HDip course ahead of us to give us any advice. Because the course is a lot shorter than the B Ed (4 years) it is slightly overwhelming and it's a steep learning curve but all the people on the course (90 in total) are all lovely, everyone is on the same page!

Our modules were Irish language, English, Múineadh na Gaeilge, Maths, P.E, Art, S.E.S.E (Hist, Geog and Science) Inclusive Education, religion, Teaching Practice, Teaching and Learning,

I was very daunted by the idea of getting straight into schools and teaching small little lessons in front of my lecturer and my classmates as well as the children but its brilliant, it gets you stuck in straight away and you benefit from it in the long run!

There are people of all ages too, 2 or 3 mature students 30+ and then quiet a alot of 21/22 year olds who just graduated last semester, myself included. There are a good few in their late 20s so I wouldn't worry about age atalll, and everyone has different degrees and different types of experience!

This semester we are in Special Ed placement on Mondays for 10 weeks and then in March we are in Junior/Senior infants teaching practice for three weeks and then right after that we are in the Gaeltacht for 2 weeks.
    This semester we will have more weekly assignments and we also start Psychology of Education Sphe, Drama and Irish conversation classes

I would say that for the interview experience with children or any sort of teaching is handy, I gave Irish grinds and worked in sports summer camps, I hadn't volunteered in a school though and I was in no way musical! They do want to know why you want to be a teacher, and why you would be a good one, the traits you need and examples of when you showed these traits etc. A time you showed initiative, what the difference would be between the college you attended and a small college like Marino, what has your college experience so far taught you and how does this help you in becoming a teacher. Experience you have with children, Are you good at time keeping and organising your workload. I can't think of any others really!

The Irish oral was lovely and more laid back, they did ask why i wanted to be a teacher but then asked things like what i studied in college, did i like it, what im doing for the summer, family, hobbies etc.

Most of all they want to see your a nice friendly person, i usually hattte interviews im sucha nervous wreck but if you prep well for this its fine, they just want to see that you have a passion to teach and its what you really want to do!

If you're irish is at a high enough standard I would recommend you chose to do the English interview through Irish if you can, you have that option, they can ask you questions in Irish or in English and you can respond in either language, it just shows that you have a good standard of Irish too!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Good to see there are people older than just out of college going applying for the PME. I'm 24 and thought I was getting too old. The only thing that is putting me off is the whole cost of the two years of college, nearly 12 grand isn't cheap and then there's accomodation and food and stuff. I thought I might get back to education allowance but i've been off jobseekers for a few months now and I think you need to be on it for at least 12 months before the course to get back to education. Anyone else in a similar situation?? i might just apply next year..but that's another year of my life gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SinG36

SinG36 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I am also planning to apply for this course but I would love to know how it is? How many lecture hours a week? What are the assignments like? Any advice or opinions?

I'd be so grateful to hear anything....thanks :)

Thank you so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaeveNeville19

I've just found out that I have been accepted to do the PME in Marino starting next September. Anyone know the best way/places to look for accommodation? I'm 23 now, 24 in September so would like to live with people my own age and even better with people doing a similar course. Any help is much appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi guys,

I'm about to apply for the PME in Mary I and also Hibernia, anyone have any tips for the interviews, what sort of things I should zone in on etc? I've been really lucky to do a bit of work experience in various school and worked with a lot of different types of SEN, class sizes, nationalities etc.. is this something I will get to talk about or is more so why I want to be a teacher?

Also anyone in galway or limerick, did you avail of any classes for irish in prep or grinds?

Any information would be great.

Thanks a million in advance,

Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Any word on interview dates yet for the PME??

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

puma90 wrote: »
    Any word on interview dates yet for the PME??

11/12th in Dublin.

Is it definitely a 2.2 (Lower class honours) needed to get in to this course yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 K.L.

Any ideas when they send out information about the interviews ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 K.L.

I'm just wondering does anyone know what dates they let you know if you have been offered a place in Mary I for primary teaching postgrad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I found out this morning :)

Advertisement