Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 salmck

salmck wrote: »
    Full Set of GradMed Gamsat notes for Sale:, Booterstown, Co. Dublin

I sat the Gamsat in March 2012 after doin the full GradMed course and got into RCSI. I genuinely think havin notes would be enough as they tend to just go through the notes in class and theyre so self explanatory (plus saves you €4000!)

Also have a timetable they gave us for each week that way you can pace yourself as you would if you were doing the course.

Includes:
    Science:Biology, Physics, Org Chem, Phys Chem, Maths for Science
    Written:Verbal Reasoning and explanation papers
    EssaysA and B including sample essays and explanations
    Full Mock Exam from GradMed
    Simulated Science Q book (5papers)
    Verbal Reasoning Paper x2
    4 Question and Answer papers
    2x Science 'half' papers to be done in half the time of original exam.

Looking for €500 for the lot,
    Let me know if you're interested

Good Luck
    S

PS: if you're interested in doing medicine you should also look into mature entry.. every college does it and its another option if you're 23yrs.for example: RCSI take in 15people a year.. particularly science graduates but there are also business,engineering,nursing,physio the works. you dont need a 2.1, 480points or any of that stuff. just have to sit the HPAT (although an average score seems to do.. dont worry this is not what they seem to solely judge you on!) and a VERY good personal statement. then they bring it down to interviews!only 300 people applied last year and 30 people got interviewed..so the odds are probably higher than people would assume!
    i know trinity do it as well however although they dont say it..i believe from talking to people you need a masters to be shortlisted!
    May as well its another ticket in the lottery!!

*** Now €350 if your interested PM me ****

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Hey guys, is anybody in Galway interested in possibly forming a study group for this? I'm thinking of starting studying for it over the Christmas, so if anybody else is in the same boat PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ILOVETEA8

Relequent wrote: »
    yep ill definitely be in for a study group in dublin. Sundays?
    Sundays sound good! Have you got all the books and that?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

I'm going to offer what may be a differing experience of sitting GAMSAT. I entered the UK GAMSAT in September as a dry run for sitting it properly in Dublin in 2013. I did exactly 49 hours study for it (I kept a log). I was off work sick while studying as I was laid out with glandular fever and I could only do an hour or 2 of study per day and I was really struggling with concentration, alertness and energy. I was almost unable to read new information, so my preparation was pitiful.

My background is in Science but I have a lot of work experience in communications also so I felt like the exam was well suited to me. However, I have never studied Biology beyond Junior Cert and I only had first year college Chemistry.

I didn't buy any expensive notes or attend any expensive courses. I bought one Org. Chem for Dummies book and got some relevant PDFs from a friend, I did every sample paper I could find, I used Wikipedia and Google to find out what I didn't know to answer science questions.

I did maybe 8 or 9 essays after reading lots of guides online. These I did under the clock which I do think was important. I posted 1 essay on the PagingDr forum to get feedback.

I did the Section 1 samples under the clock also. However, most of the time I did the Science questions slowly and tried to work them out and remember the science involved. I tried to work on some of the big topics that are likely to come up regularly.

I sat UK GAMSAT while still quite ill but managed to get through it. It really helped me that I was relaxed about it as I had no expectations. I figured I was just learning what it was like for the next attempt. What everyone says about managing time is correct; you really have to keep moving and not get bogged down. Somehow I managed to answer every question though a few were pure guesses.

To my own surprise I have scored 67 and I'm certain to get in to any Irish college and there's no need for me to study for and sit the Irish GAMSAT. I'm not sure what to say to others though; maybe I was lucky, maybe I just have an aptitude for it, maybe my relaxed approach paid off, I really don't know.

I'm now a little sceptical of these expensive GAMSAT courses. Maybe they are great for some people, I don't really know as I haven't done them.

Advice: Do sample papers. Find out the regular topics in Science and hit these hard. Practice writing essays against the clock and get others to read them and feed back. Learn how to spell and use grammar. To be honest, I am shocked at how bad the English is of many prospective GAMSAT students is here on boards.ie. I'm certain that structure, style, grammar and spelling are deemed important by the markers. Identify your strengths and weakness in each section and attack your weakness. Unless you are a writer, you are likely to be unused to writing your thoughts down on paper for others to read. You need to break through this, so write and get feedback from others. Study poetry if you're not very used to it. I was weak in this area.

In the exam, don't try to work out the answer in full to every question in Section III, you need to identify how to eliminate the wrong answers in a few seconds and narrow it down. Make plausible guesses. They are testing your reasoning more than your knowledge. Keep moving. Skip questions you think look too hard for you, do not get bogged down. But bear in mind questions often look way more complex than they are. They put in way more info than is really needed and they are looking to see if you can cut across it to see what's relevant. The more verbose the question, chances are the answers are even more obvious. Very few people will answer all questions, you're not really expected to. But, do make random guesses to every question if you have no idea, leave 5 minutes to do this. To save time, copy your answers to the answer sheet each time you complete 2 facing pages in the question book.

I strongly recommend doing GAMSAT once as a practice before doing your real attempt. The UK sitting in September is great for this. I got lucky in that my practice one went well, I was fully prepared to sit it again.

Read the Pagingdr.com forum a lot. Other source for science topics is Khan Academy. I heard Exam Krackers MCAT material is good but I don't know myself.

I'll try to answer questions, but as I didn't do a lot of things that others do, I may not be able to answer everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Hi ,

Im doing the Gamsat in 2013 in Dublin as well , only prob is im in college with exams at Christmas and presentations - the usual , coming up . Trying to keep up is pretty tough , one question though : what kind of poetry stuff did you go through ? I've the MCAT verbal reasoning stuff - from a friend :D, and some sample papers website qs etc , but poetry's my weak link .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Hi ,

Im doing the Gamsat in 2013 in Dublin as well , only prob is im in college with exams at Christmas and presentations - the usual , coming up . Trying to keep up is pretty tough , one question though : what kind of poetry stuff did you go through ? I've the MCAT verbal reasoning stuff - from a friend :D, and some sample papers website qs etc , but poetry's my weak link .

For poetry, I only did the sample papers, both official and unofficial, that I could find.

I have to be honest and say I think doing GAMSAT while doing finals is nuts. You MUST get a 2:1 and you never get a second chance for this. You can do GAMSAT 20 times. People doing it this way must be doing a doddle of a degree. There was NO chance you could have done this when I was doing my finals. I had 40+ hours a week in college excluding studying.

Also, I am strongly in favour of having some life experience entering GEM. I suppose I would be as that's my case. In fact I would be in favour of making GEM entry to be at least 1 or 2 years after the first degree. I don't think that 10 odd years of college from the age of 18 is a good thing. The whole point of GEM is to take in more rounded medical students. How do people pay for all that?! Who has the money?

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old man!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

Hey hey,

I have only decided in the past week or so that I want to go for the GAMSAT in March 2013. I have been talking to my lecturers and they tell that it is obviously a lot of work but if it's something I want to do then go for it. One of my lecturers is a practicing Doctor and she advised me to do my final year thesis on something that I can relate back to a disease or a diagnosis as this would help with some aspects of the medical course. This thread has been so helpful I kind of have an idea now of what I need to do. I have my final exams in January and then just my thesis which will be done in June. As I'm doing a bio-molecular science course I have some bio and chem down but the physics is gonna be the toughest to do... And of course section II as I am appalling at writing essays (At the minute :-P). Just wondering if now is too late to start studying/practicing for the exam in March and should I hold off till maybe next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Relequent

VickBack wrote: »
    Hey hey,

I have only decided in the past week or so that I want to go for the GAMSAT in March 2013. I have been talking to my lecturers and they tell that it is obviously a lot of work but if it's something I want to do then go for it. One of my lecturers is a practicing Doctor and she advised me to do my final year thesis on something that I can relate back to a disease or a diagnosis as this would help with some aspects of the medical course. This thread has been so helpful I kind of have an idea now of what I need to do. I have my final exams in January and then just my thesis which will be done in June. As I'm doing a bio-molecular science course I have some bio and chem down but the physics is gonna be the toughest to do... And of course section II as I am appalling at writing essays (At the minute :-P). Just wondering if now is too late to start studying/practicing for the exam in March and should I hold off till maybe next year?

I think you'll be fine if you start studying now. I did two weeks of halfhearted study in this years march gamsat and got a 51 (with no essay practice or even gamsat question practice for sections 1,2 and 3. It was just khan academy and looking up quotes and examples for different themes(love-guess what? it came up for section 2-, trials, poverty, etc. TED.com). I was in the same boat as you since it was my final year (science background) and had to do my presentation and submit my project thesis in that month. Try looking for gamsat notes in boards.ie,adverts.ie. Examkrackers MCAT physics will help. or even Physics for Dummies.

Goodluck

Thanks very much I wanna wrap my head around everything that's involved as quick as I can so I know what and where to look for stuff. I have yet to register for them but will be doing so soon! Gonna have to buckle down to make sure I get that minimum 2.1 or else it will be a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PLAYSTATION4

Don't forget that GAMSAT is as much of a marathon as it is a test. You need to build up your endurance and you need to have your timing down on test day. Mental stamina is key to success. Perhaps more vital than knowing your science or how to decipher poetry.

Do all of your sample papers under timed conditions because that is what you're going to face on test day.

I suggest saving the 2 ACER GAMSAT practice papers for the week before you sit the exam. I took the 2nd GAMSAT 2 days before the test just to make sure I had the appropriate pace for test day.

Also, get your hands on as many practice papers as possible. MCAT verbal reasoning passages can help you immensely with Section 1 as they tend to be harder, at least more ambiguous, than GAMSAT Section 1 questions. I don't have much of a background in the humanities and I scored in the mid 60s on Section 1.

For Section 3 I strongly endorse The Princeton Review's MCAT Biology it's got just enough detail without going overboard to the textbook level. I scored in the mid 60s on section 3.

• Advertisement

That's great I will definitely be looking I. To all of those texts!

The GEM doesn't rely on CAO points does it? I did terrible in the LC and am so glad I am where I am today even though I went a fiercly long way around! It's just the GAMSATs they look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

VickBack wrote: »
    That's great I will definitely be looking I. To all of those texts!

The GEM doesn't rely on CAO points does it? I did terrible in the LC and am so glad I am where I am today even though I went a fiercly long way around! It's just the GAMSATs they look at?

It doesn't look at CAO points. You have to get a 2:1 or higher in your degree to be considered and then it is down to your GAMSAT score, i.e. if you do not get a 2:1 or higher you won't get offered a place no matter how good your GAMSAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GEPwannabe

I noticed at the start of the thread a couple of people talking about the 100k loans....I'm not sure about for Cork and Limerick, but for RCSI and UCD the banks are no longer offering the 100k loan, they are offering fees only (aka ~60k) paid directly to the college. In my opinion this is something everyone should be aware of before considering even sitting the GAMSAT as you're going to need fairly solid financial support to study gradmed.

As for the GAMSAT, I know it can be a vastly different experience for some, but I think there's an awful lot of hype surrounding the exam and prep for the exam. I was going to sit it for the first time in March 2013, planning on sneaking some prep in around my final year work, but on a whim, decided in August to go over to Bristol in September 2012 and sit it as a trial run, so that I'd know what to expect in March when I sat it "for real".
    I have studied chemistry up to LC level (although all but the basics is long forgotten) and touched on some physics in my first year of college but that's about the extent of it. The only biology I ever encountered was that in Junior Cert Science. I made some feeble attempts at preparation which basically consisted of reading "Chapter 3 - The Cell" of a borrowed LC Biology book. Needless to say, none of the knowledge gained there was applied in the GAMSAT. Aside from that I printed out the sample papers the night before the exam and started reading them on the plane on the way over. So essentially,I went in with no prep.
    I think one of the most important things is that I went in totally calm. I think a lot of people lose out because they build it up so much in their heads and freak out a bit on the day. Believe me, it's a much less unpleasant exam when you don't add a whole load of pressure on to it in your head. I was pretty surprised when I didn't find it as mentally and/or emotionally shattering as was the impression I got from reading up online.
    I was very pleasantly surprised to get a 62 (S1 - 65, S2 - 50, S3 - 66) , which put me in ~85-87th percentile. I put it all down to my reasoning skills. As you can see my essay performance was relatively poor. I found that for most of the questions, pretty much all the information I needed was given in the question. I encountered maybe 10 q's in total in S3 where I felt there was something more than basic concepts that I needed to know and had to just guess an anwer, and most of them were bio questions, little bit physics, and then of course the dreaded organic chemistry, although what got me through most of them were the rules for naming compounds. I would also add that if you encounter these questions, don't give them any more than a minute, you can come back to them if you have time at the end. I didn't get through all of S3 and ended up frantically choosing random answers for the last 12 or 13 questions in the last ten seconds because I gave too much time to questions where my answer ended up being guesswork anyway.

I think to sum it up, it's no secret, they say it in the info booklet, and they're not lying. What you need are good reasoning skills paired with basic scientific concepts. Spending hours learning formulae and specific bits is just going to wear you down. They might be the difference between being in the 85th and the 95th percentile, but if you're happy to get enough to get in then I don't think it's necessary. Somebody told me at an open day; "Anybody who says they sat it with little to no prep and got above the 80th percentile is bullsh*tting, it just doesn't happen" Don't listen to these people! If you have any confidence in your scientific reasoning at all, relax and give it a whirl, you might surprise yourself!

I am hoping to take a year out then go to RCSI so I will probably sit the GAMSAT again in an attempt to ensure that I will definitely get in. I plan to actually put in some prepwork this time. Practice of sample papers, and essay writing, and then revise any reccurring concepts that I encounter.
    And just remember that you can sit it again, it may be a pain having to wait, but you can sit it twice a year (UK in Sept, Ireland in March). It was the knowledge that I could sit it again that kept me calm and relaxed through the whole thing.

Obviously I understand it's different for everyone and that there is also some degree of luck involved. I might have just gotten lucky on the day. I don't think I'm suddenly an expert on the matter and I'm not dismissing other people's methods or impressions. I just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that it might help anyone.

Apologies and thanks to anyone who actually reads all this, I had intended to write a few lines, got a bit longwinded :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

I havnt started studying yet.. (this month I swear..)

I have ZERO Science background and was gonna focus on studying my ASS off at Chem/Bio etc

I figured since I have a degree in English Literature I wouldnt sweat the non science sections - Now Im super worried!! Obviously I write academically - and now thats only going to pull me down :(

Daunted.com/Icantdothis :eek:

Don't panic! I came from a law background and decided to give the GAMSAT a whirl. I only started "studying" mid jan last year - I got some physics and chem grinds and did the intensive gradmed course in physics and biology.. I focused so much on the science part I didn't even think about the rest until the week of the exam. I can't remember exactly how I did in each section but I did grand in the science, my best section was the essay and then section 1. Remember to play to your strengths... there's a lot of focus put on the science but keep in mind that you actually have an advantage being so good at english. I feel that although doing the leg work in the sciences was definitely a help, don't get too bogged down cos it's all about reasoning and not about learning off formulae. Anyways I did pretty well in the GAMSAT in the end and am slugging away at med school now so there's hope for us all yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Have a quick question : since I'm a 3rd yr and haven't graduated yet is there any other documentation I need to send onto the CAO with respect to my GEM application? I know that if your to graduate in 2013 then obviously the results -either a first or second determine your entry but do they need anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

Have a quick question : since I'm a 3rd yr and haven't graduated yet is there any other documentation I need to send onto the CAO with respect to my GEM application? I know that if your to graduate in 2013 then obviously the results -either a first or second determine your entry but do they need anything else?

I think you need to send your transcripts from first and second year but I'm not sure. Give the CAO office a call and they'll let you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Mydayoff

What percentage of of people who sit the GAMSAT get through to med?

djbanging wrote: »
    if money's the main concern, there are plenty of careers where you can get paid more, sooner and for less work.

Such as what?

Abby19 wrote: »
    I know a few people who have had to sit a leaving cert science to meet the requirements, regardless of their undergraduate degree. But as a mature you don't need to have it as in a single sitting afaik.

But most people are, or are close to being mature students after getting their 4 year undergraduate degree

I know there's no set syllabus for the GAMSAT but whats the basics that you need to cover ? I've done 2 yrs so far on a undergrad degree - human health and disease - tcd, and have done organic chem , psychology ,biochem , anatomy , physiology , the works plus we do clinical med and pharmacology next yr . So what should I cover and not cover ? Anyone who did the GAMSAT and got med please help , I'm eager to do this and get med.

You'll have to sit through modules in med that are exactly the same as modules you've covered in 'human health and disease' and you the only reason you won't be able to get exempt from them is because they're not 100% exactly the same as the med modules. Maybe 90% the same.. but not 100% the same. Isn't that a pain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Anyone hear with a non science based degree? What are you using to study for Organic Chemistry? Finding it tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

trendy88 wrote: »
    Anyone hear with a non science based degree? What are you using to study for Organic Chemistry? Finding it tough going.

Try Organic Chemistry by David R. Klein, it's excellent (and not as boring as most others)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

trendy88 wrote: »

I've absolutely no background in science apart from secondary school and I have to say organic chemistry for dummies is amazing for orgo. Can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Any resources available that go through solutions for gamsat science questions? Long shot but cant seem to find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

How is everyone's preparation coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 watzup

Hey DoctorDre,

Prep is going okay! Plodding through it .....Chemistry is getting a bit tiresome, I look at it one day and think its grand but the next I seem to have lost my mojo in that regard!ha Roll on March 23rd 6pm........ :D

How are you getting on?

Same as yourself really, finding the chemistry a bit overwhelming, hard to know what's worth studying and what to leave out, if anything. Still think it will just be a case of being lucky on the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 watzup

Thats it exactly! It should be fine. Its just a matter of practice practice practice with Chem and Physics as usual. I know from others that have done it, its S1 and S2 where they picked up the marks even the guys that have science degrees said that. Keep the faith! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Im doing the gammy for the third time this time, got 56 last year and got offered Limerick but was going holding off for another year so I said Id do it again cos I wanna go to UCD, lived in Dublin for 3 years and have a good few mates up there.

I've absolutely no motivation for studying this year tho, said Id concentrate on s1 and 2 and just cant keep at it (just the gammy that I cant get motivated for, I'll be fine for next year). So I'm getting worried now that it might be €300 down the toilet!!

• Advertisement

Im doing the gammy for the third time this time, got 56 last year and got offered Limerick but was going holding off for another year so I said Id do it again cos I wanna go to UCD, lived in Dublin for 3 years and have a good few mates up there.

I've absolutely no motivation for studying this year tho, said Id concentrate on s1 and 2 and just cant keep at it (just the gammy that I cant get motivated for, I'll be fine for next year). So I'm getting worried now that it might be €300 down the toilet!!

I think sections 1 & 2 are my best chance for success too, just hoping for an average section 3 score! Hope you get UCD, I'd love to stay in Dublin myself.

Advertisement