Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is Lidl special anyone know?

• 27-02-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

Lidl usually does a special on fishing gear around this time of year, anyone when it is? Cheap reels for kids time ...

Ta,

PWR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

If you check their website on Mondays and Thursdays you'll see it a week before it's on. I can tell you it's not this Thursday or next Monday ;) Aldi usually do one around the same time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I don't see any price differences with the ordinary tackle shops to be honest. And kids always love the fishing shops. Summer for me hasn't started until I stop off at the Halfway tackle shop in Halfway village which is literally halfway between Bandon and Cork!

A lot of shops have cheap imported stuff that they sell for little, if any of them get snotty with you go someplace else, there's a thread here which lists a lot of the shops.

There's one shop I know where the owner is a sweetheart but the staff member is a jumped up little bollox who should be fired. Depending on who is there the place can be heaven or hell. Now that I'm a bit more experienced the next time I get a smart answer from him I'll have to go through him, which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=18859
    Thursday 12th Marh

Would these rods be good for sea fishing?? i bought a rod 3yrs ago and it was crap - caught a few fish on a boat and the reel pin snapped etc..... suppose its good to save cash but wioll this rod cost you more in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

i got a 10` pike rod at lidl a few years back and, i can honestly say its probably the best dead bait rod i have.
    i can cast a full mackerel/herring from one side of the river suck to the other, no problem.
    the reel i got with it wasn't great but in my opinion you would expect to
    pay a lot more than the 25/30 euro for a similar rod without a reel.
    i smashed the end of the rod with the car door last year. if i ever see them at lidl again ill buy two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

My dad bought a 10 foot mitchell bass rod and hated the reel that came with it so he tried out a small silver lidls spinning reel on it and it's absolutely top notch and he still uses it with it today.

I also took off my Penn fire tip for a lidls reel last summer because they're just great for spinning and float fishing in my opinion, I'll be investing in a few lidls reels this year for mackeral fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Cool lads nice one for the heads up!
    i didnt actually by the rod in lidl but - great to know we can safely say that the rods in lidl are grand for boat sea fishing???

i like good quality cheap price

There are two options for rods - will either do and be strong enough to take 6 mackarel out in one go 50 times a day for a month! joke..but proper boat use
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_18886.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭doh777

Hello

Never fished before, so no knowledge whatsoever.

Interested in getting a rod to fish while cycle touring so ideally something compact.

Can anyone recommend what would be best from the LIDL specials this Monday 12th March?

Or not recommend as the case may be.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-FCD04A55-62C5E440/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=18859

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

To be honest lads, if yer only starting out then fine, but remember that in most cases you get what you pay for, I wouldn't touch any of the LIDL/ALDI gear, I'd prefer to go to my local tackle shop and let the experts recommend something for my needs within my budget, also you'll get plenty of free info of venues too.

21/25

Yeah if you're getting started lidl would be a poor place to go for a rod, go to your local tackle shop and look for a nice shimano or shakespeare rod, they're good starter rods in my opinion and usually fairly cheap.:)
    If you're near town I'd suggest Henrys on the ballybough road, he always has some nice gear in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

PWR wrote: »
    Lidl usually does a special on fishing gear around this time of year, anyone when it is? Cheap reels for kids time ...

Ta,

PWR

For the record,,new deals starting on Monday..

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0BC9B883-0766A15C/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=18859

As far as I know,,Woodies d.i.y. are doing fishing gear now also..

Might be a bit better than the Lidl stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

A friend and I bought Aldi gear last year based on a similar thread. Each one of us broke his rod on first use. He broke his on 4th cast (weight within the rod specs) and I broke mine on first cast. Complete snap of the rod.
    Cannot fault the reels as I have not even used them. I bought other gear directly after.
    Good luck.

i landed 15 salmon the year before last on one of aldi's finest up to 12lb and a fair few pike one over 30lbs, all on the line that came with it from aldi. the reel was toast at the end of the season the rod is still perfect, that said i bought a tubertini dorado rod and shimano reel for last year and its a beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Aldi are selling angling gear this Thursday, March 15th.

See http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week11Thursday12.htm?WT.z_src=main.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Could someone give me an idea of the cost of a basic fishing rod setup please

I'm thinking of going fishing for Mackerel but don't want to spend a fortune until I'm sure I want to continue doing it so the Lidl offers (I don't know which one I'd need anyway) seem like a nice price to try something out and see how it goes.

Could someone give me an idea of the cost of a basic fishing rod setup please

I'm thinking of going fishing for Mackerel but don't want to spend a fortune until I'm sure I want to continue doing it so the Lidl offers (I don't know which one I'd need anyway) seem like a nice price to try something out and see how it goes.

If it's mackeral you're after you shouldn't need more than a 10 foot rod. If you really want to get into it it's worth buying a reliable brand like mitchell or shimano or emerald, that's just 3 brands off the top of my head that sell good spinning rods. You can get a decent shimano rod from €35 up and you'll get you're moneys worth out of them. One of them should do you for float fishing or spinning or whatever it is you're looking to do.
    So in short don't go for lidl rods if you're starting out, you could end up disappointed.
    Hope this helped man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Thanks for the advice Paddy, that's brilliant. I'll try the local fishing shop then.

Advertisement