Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Citywest from Wicklow Town

• 25-02-2015 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Is there a bus service from wicklow town to city west or from bray to city west, my car is in for repairs next week and I need to use public transport, I've never used public transport on this route, whats the best option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

2hrs20mins is the fastest I can find by public transport. http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

not good.! but thanks for the link.

I think you can rent a car for less than €50 for a week, would be cheaper than the fares for a week and a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I work in Park West (slightly shorter distance than City West, but same rough direction) and commute from Wicklow and once looked at public transport options and it was shocking. By train I'd be in the office for around 4 hours a day. I didn't get round to seeing how taking the 133 helps but imagine renting a car would be much better!

where would you rent a car for that ?

• Advertisement

Mortons do a bus up to city west from Sidney parade, which leaves at 7:45, I might look at that as I could get the train to dun laoghaire and dart to sydney, still if I can rent a car for 50 for the week it might be less hassle.

Just had a look at carhire.ie and it's around 40 for the week. Google cheap car hire Ireland, I'd imagine they're all fairly competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Mortons do a bus up to city west from Sidney parade, which leaves at 7:45, I might look at that as I could get the train to dun laoghaire and dart to sydney, still if I can rent a car for 50 for the week it might be less hassle.

Just be aware that the return bus in the evening is at 17:20 and is scheduled to arrive at Sydney Parade at 18:25.

The DART that connects into the last train to Wicklow leaves Sydney Parade at 18:40 - so if Mortons bus is late you could be stuck.

Easier to hire a car to be honest.

Anyone know how long it takes the luas to get to city west, the train gets to Connelly at 7:45am would it take another hour to get to city west ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes the luas to get to city west, the train gets to Connelly at 7:45am would it take another hour to get to city west ?

Yes, around 50- 55 mins from Connolly to Citywest on the luas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Yes, around 50- 55 mins from Connolly to Citywest on the luas

Sanest option. Buses are far too dependent on traffic for tight timings.

So I did this for a whole week, got the first wexford train at 6:25 to Connolly, then the luas to City west, it was fairly painless as far as there was no waiting around, took a full 2hr 20min to get there and 2hr 20min back again.Only thing I can complain about is the amount of stops on the luas line, insane, but at least its doable if I need to use it agai, as I was getting to work at 8:45.

What time did you have to leave the office to get home? Last time I looked the last train back to wicklow was at some unhelpful early time so any late meetings would leave you stuffed (or calling home from Greystones :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, do you mind if I hijack your thread to ask you what your regular car commute from Wicklow town is like? I may be moving down to that neck of the woods soon, so I am wondering about the morning and evening commute to/from the Red Cow exit on the M50. My experience of driving to/from Wicklow, is pretty much limited to weekend day trips. Ta.

BigMoose wrote: »
    What time did you have to leave the office to get home? Last time I looked the last train back to wicklow was at some unhelpful early time so any late meetings would leave you stuffed (or calling home from Greystones :) )

Left the office at 5:30 and got the next Luas at about 5:40 or thereabouts, I got the train at one stage with 3 mins left which was the closest, actually I missed it one day as I had a meeting, but got the 7pm 133 which was really fast, so again worked out, was totally out of my comfort zone though.. Really impressed that I can actually travel on public transport to city west so kudos to the infrastructure gods, I might actually do this for beers nights.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, do you mind if I hijack your thread to ask you what your regular car commute from Wicklow town is like? I may be moving down to that neck of the woods soon, so I am wondering about the morning and evening commute to/from the Red Cow exit on the M50. My experience of driving to/from Wicklow, is pretty much limited to weekend day trips. Ta.

I get in early and go for a run, which means I avoid most of the vheavy traffic. The days I don't I'd do it in an hour comfortably, especially with the flyover now, but Kilmac/the M50/M11 merge/M50 off ramp can be v sticky, give yourself over and hour.

Home its really good, gets sticky at the M50/M11 merge, but you could take the rat runs (stepaside/enniskerry/newtown/roundwood etc etc) if its super clogged, which is what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cheers, thanks.

I do Wicklow to the Red Cow every day too and you can do it easily in under an hour (if you get the timing right about 45 mins) but would need to leave before 7:30 or after 8:30. In between the tailback through Glen of the downs, Kilmac and round Bray can take 30+ on its own. Going home, as JJJJNR says, it's grand except the M50/N11 merge. Most nights that only takes 10 mins though so my whole journey home is normally a bit under the hour. Can be a bit slow getting on the M50 at the Red Cow too but that mostly eases up quick enough. I'm leaving work anywhere between 5-6 each night, so at the peak.

If there's a crash though, all bets are off!

Advertisement