Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jog slowly and not more than 2.5hrs a week or it will KILL YOU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Which study should we believe? This one where jogging more than 2.5 hours per week kills you or one of the previous ones where you need at least 30 minutes of strenuous exercise per day for the good of your health?

Of course you should take notice of research, but in this latest study they had 2 out of 40 "strenuous joggers" die over a 12 year period. Surely no serious scientific would draw any concrete conclusions out of such a small sample size! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Define jogging :eek:

glasso wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11385044/Fast-running-is-as-deadly-as-sitting-on-couch-scientists-find.html

this story appearing in lots online and offline media sources.

basically saying that jogging too much and / or too fast increases mortality.

joggers and non-joggers compared in a study over a number of years. more sedentary and joggers / runners doing a lot of running / jogging died than moderate joggers.

Doesn't mention anything about running helping with depression etc, just ask Ronnie O'Sullivan!

• Advertisement

I love running but maybe there is some truth to the fact that prolonged strenuous activity over a period of time is maybe not the best for our bodies, and maybe specifically the heart.

I saw that, but they would say that wouldn't they... They'd be out of business if running decreased. but yes, of course the numbers are small and maybe not statistically significant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Study essentially says that people die.

Some of the people who died sat on the sofa a lot during their life, some of them did a lot of running.

To conclude anything else from it is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Doesn't mention anything about running helping with depression etc, just ask Ronnie O'Sullivan!

I would say any kind of cardio or physical exercise would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Define jogging :eek:

According to the article 5mph. Strenuous running (I saw it definied in another article in the Daily mail as 'strenous jogging :confused::rolleyes:) is anything faster than 7 mph

• Advertisement

I saw that, but they would say that wouldn't they... They'd be out of business if running decreased. but yes, of course the numbers are small and maybe not statistically significant.
    The same can be said of the Telegraph, who depend on newsworthy articles, to sell copy. By the way, I linked to two articles, one provided by Forbes (who don't have a vested interest in running or exercise). I'm not saying that strenuous exercise won't have a negative impact on your health, I'm merely providing links to counter-arguments to sensationalist stories.

If you have concerns with regard to your health, I'd urge you to visit your GP for a check-up, and reduce your weekly exercise to 150 minutes of moderate jogging.

The same can be said of the Telegraph, who depend on newsworthy articles, to sell copy. By the way, I linked to two articles, one provided by Forbes (who don't have a vested interest in running or exercise). I'm not saying that strenuous exercise won't have a negative impact on your health, I'm merely providing links to counter-arguments to sensationalist stories.

If you have concerns with regard to your health, I'd urge you to visit your GP for a check-up, and reduce your weekly exercise to 150 minutes of moderate jogging.

I'm just putting this out there as an opinion, no need to personalise things. Obviously this forum is full of running evangelists, being one myself. Healthy to consider other opinions / studies sometime....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Looks like I may be headed for an early grave, but at least I'll leave a sexy corpse.

I'm just putting this out there as an opinion, no need to personalise things. Obviously this forum is full of running evangelists, being one myself. Healthy to consider other opinions / studies sometime....

It is important to consider other studies, but they need to come from a reliable source with facts to prove it

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Is this yet another case of association, which is all that can be concluded from epidemiological or observational studies? As opposed to causation, which can "only" come from interventional studies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Say it were proven 100% to be true and we're all headed for early graves, would any of us stop/decrease our running right now? Doubt it!

There's no personalization intended. If anyone believes their health is at risk they need to consult a medical practitioner and act according to medical advice. Basing life decisions on a Telegraph article seems like folly.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Say it were proven 100% to be true and we're all headed for early graves, would any of us stop/decrease our running right now? Doubt it!

To be honest, I would. Surely the time you spend with your family on this planet is more important than running if it cuts your life short.

Sure with that attitude why dont we all smoke, do drugs and drink crazy amount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Sure with that attitude why dont we all smoke, do drugs and drink crazy amount

Who says we don't ?

For the general population I would say 8-9 minute mile pace, or a comfortable pace (2-3 miles distance) 2-3 times per week would be ideal. Very difficult to nail this down. So many permutations, but hard running and intense running (as in really pushing yourself) that puts a lot of strain on the heart and lungs and muscles, and involves long recovery times for the normal joe soap is probably not advisable, and not healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

A case of correlation and causation I would think.

Another study found that a high % of the population put up an umbrella when it rains. But that doesn't mean that it rained because they put up there umbrella

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They have based all this on 2 people dying up to 12 years later? With no idea how they died? It's a crazy small sample size to base anything at all on.

The sample size for Sedentary (over 400) is completely out of step with Strenuous exercise (40). All seems a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The most recent comment on that Telegraph article:
    Let me see if I understand their findings. In a study where they looked at 1098 joggers, 28 of them died (2.5%), and in the same time period out of the 413 healthy but sedentary non joggers 128 of them died (31%)....by my rough calculation that means that being healthy and sedentary means you are more than 12 times more likely to die than those who are active...... or am i missing something

This is a Bernard Manning article: "100 percent of non smokers fcu^ing die!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The most recent comment on that Telegraph article:

They "adjust" for age. The average age of the non-runners was 61 so you would expect a higher number of deaths than for the runners where the average age was late 30's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No amount of adjusting for age will compensate for a sample size of two deaths though. The study is a load of rubbish and proves nothing except that it is a pointless study... and that journalists will write any old rubbish to make a scare story.

Those two people died from unknown reasons as well. It is equivalent of saying
    yesterday someone died in Dublin of natural causes, therefore Dublin is a dangerous place to be on a Tuesday. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭PDCAT

By their reasoning, should the same not apply to all sports people who push their body to the limits? Example's. Cyclist, Boxers, GAA Players and many others.
    All these sports people train just as many hours and would surely have intense sessions with raised heart rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PDCAT wrote: »
    By their reasoning, should the same not apply to all sports people who push their body to the limits? Example's. Cyclist, Boxers, GAA Players and many others.
    All these sports people train just as many hours and would surely have intense sessions with raised heart rates.

Yes of course. Sport is bad, being a couch potato is good.

Just the message that the western world needs to hear....... :(

PDCAT wrote: »

I'm sure it does relate to other cardio based and intense sports/pastimes. The article relates to the average man on the street, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yes of course. Sport is bad, being a couch potato is good.

Just the message that the western world needs to hear....... :(

How much did the sugar companies contribute to this study?

Advertisement