Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* CAO - a few important points ... * !Change of Mind CLOSES Friday 1st July at 17.15!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DT229

Hey, new to boards here and this is probably a stupid question, but I just can't get it out of my head.
    My course specifies that I need at least an Ordinary B3 in maths to matriculate, which I'm fairly confident I'll get. However, I'm not planning on counting it as one of my six subjects for points. I know that this probably isn't an issue, but I just want to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DT229 wrote: »
    Hey, new to boards here and this is probably a stupid question, but I just can't get it out of my head.
    My course specifies that I need at least an Ordinary B3 in maths to matriculate, which I'm fairly confident I'll get. However, I'm not planning on counting it as one of my six subjects for points. I know that this probably isn't an issue, but I just want to make sure.

No, it's not a problem. Requirements do not have to be in your top 6 for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Notes:
    Please ensure that you post all your supporting documents to CAO.
    Certified copies of results of 2015 examinations (excluding Leaving Cert & FETAC) must be provided to CAO as soon as they become available. All documents must be clearly marked with your name and CAO Number. Please read pages 12-14 of the 2015 CAO Handbook for further instructions.

Does this require any action on my part? I did not do my LC this year, am reapplying. Just want to make sure I have everything covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

I have a quick question. If my son does not get his 1st choice and his 2nd choice is entry with an interview, will he be penalised for not putting the course as a 1st choice?

thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

juru wrote: »
    I have a quick question. If my son does not get his 1st choice and his 2nd choice is entry with an interview, will he be penalised for not putting the course as a 1st choice?

thanks
    He won't be penalised for putting it second as such, but has he done the interview? Or are interviews not normally done for it until offers time? Or (another possibility) is there an interview round after Change of Mind closes?

Just make sure he's not adding a restricted course, i.e. one which has to be on his application since January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

juru wrote: »

thanks

I got offered a place after an interview for a particular course. We were told as follows:
    The CAO will be informed of your success, and subject to you meeting the maths requirement and (course name) being the top-ranked CAO choice for which you qualify, they will make you an offer for (course name) in the normal way.

So no, where he ranks the course doesn't matter, as long as he has already passed the interview and meets the other requirements for the course.

Edit: to clarify, "qualified" for a course means getting the required Leaving Cert points and meeting all subject requirements, or in the case of an interview-based course, passing the interview and meeting all subject requirements.

The purpose of ranking your courses on the CAO is so that they can try and give you the highest course on your list that you qualify for.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

Sorry if this has been asked, but how do we actually receive the offers?

Stooped wrote: »

Log on to the CAO website the day of the offers and your offer will be listed there. You can then accept it online

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

Do you mean receive the CAO offers? If so, from what I can remember, you go onto CAO and login into your account and then you will see two offers on the screen once you login- (i.e you can get a level 8 offer and a level 6/7 offer). Then you click "accept" for the offer you want and you do not click the other one- (the accept option for the level 6/7 course will remain on CAO even after you accept the level 8 course but do not click it) You will then get an email, confirming that you choose the level 8 course. That's it basically- from what I remember anyway! :) Good luck!!

CAO Handbook ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

cant find this on the cao booklet anywhere but what if,
    i get the points for my first choice on my cao and get the points for it do i also get an offer from the level 6/7 course too or?

cant find this on the cao booklet anywhere but what if,
    i get the points for my first choice on my cao and get the points for it do i also get an offer from the level 6/7 course too or?

You mean if you have filled in the Level 8 list and the Level 6/7 list??

Yes you can get two offers, one from each list. If you accept one of them that means the other one is automatically rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Carrier pigeon.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Carrier pigeon.
    I'll get a carrier pigeon to fly over you and drop you a little present in a minute! :p

What if you wanted to change your course after 1st july?

Randy will throw you off the GPO

thelad95 wrote: »
    Randy will throw you off the GPO

Cmon t'f""k now haha

Cmon t'f""k now haha

I'm afraid you can't. I know some people who've tried ringing them to ask and they will literally hang the phone up on you.

You can't. It's that simple.

They've given people 8 months to get their shit together, no changes after July 1st.

I actually love that the CAO run like a military operation and don't make exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I received a deferred entry offer today, even though I didn't tick the deferred entry box and I listed several courses on my CAO application for this year. According to the CAO handbook, "You will breach the conditions of your deferred place if you enter more than the single deferred course code on your application. In that event, you will forfeit the guaranteed place and enter the competition for places in the normal way." I'm not sure why I was offered the course I deferred. I've emailed the CAO about it just to be safe. Has anyone had a similar experience?

edit: The response I just received isn't very helpful:
    By accepting the course you were offered will not

stop you from been offered a higher course
    preference in a later round should you become
    entitled to it

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭idek1

Is it possible to receive low offers such as your 8th choice? I only ever hear of people getting their 2nd or 3rd choice. Sorry this is random.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20 Lykkelig

idek1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to receive low offers such as your 8th choice? I only ever hear of people getting their 2nd or 3rd choice. Sorry this is random.

Yeah, my friend's sister got her 8th choice

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

You would only get offered your 8th choice if you don't meet the requirements for the first 7 but you do meet the requirements for the 8th. It wouldn't be inconceivable if someone had a lot of high points courses on their CAO and they just fell short, or if they didn't reach the minimum matriculation requirements for a subject e.g. HC3 Maths or OD3 Irish.

idek1 wrote: »

Yes, and it's possible for a student to receive no offer too. Getting a choice on the lower end of the list is common enough, I suspect people don't make a big deal of it though.

There were plenty in my college course (science) who had all the medicine courses down first, and a few others like dentistry, physio etc, who got nowhere near 500 points and didn't make their first 6 or 7 choices.

Also there would be a cohort who get a choice a good bit down their list and rather than accept it, they reject it and decide to repeat, usually to try and get something that was higher on their list as they realise they don't really want one of their last options, and that they only put it down to fill space.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

This is a nightmare. I emailed the CAO again and I received the exact same response (same formatting, too, so it's evidently a copy-and-paste job). Why am I being offered the course I deferred last year when the handbook states, "You will breach the conditions of your deferred place if you enter more than the single deferred course code on your application"? To take up a deferred place, it says an applicant has to "Place the deferred course as your only preference on the application form" and "Indicate your deferral by ticking the deferred place indicator box on your application", which I did not do. I'm starting to get worried. I can't get through to the CAO by phoning; I've tried for hours. :confused:

Js1997 wrote: »
    Could anyone clear up my worry, I have 4 choices on the level 8 CAO, my points will most likely get me my 3rd or 4th choice, however I put down one choice on the level 7 list never with any intention of accepting it, so my question if I get offered the level 7 and turn it down, will I not be offered either 3/4 on my level 8 list, thanks

If you have put courses on both lists, you can be offered a course from each list. So if you get a Level 8 offer and and a Level 7 offer next week you can accept either. Once you accept one of them, it automatically cancels the other offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lucky Leprechaun

I'm so confused, I had level 8 and level 7/6 courses down, I only got one offer from a level 7/6, Will I get no offers for level 8?

I'm so confused, I had level 8 and level 7/6 courses down, I only got one offer from a level 7/6, Will I get no offers for level 8?

If you didn't get a level 8 offer it's either because you didn't meet the requirements for the Level 8 courses you put down or you didn't have the points for any of those courses. Did you check the points for those courses this morning against what you got? Did you meet all the retirements for the Level 8 courses?

• Advertisement

There's a section in the CAO handbook about deferrals. It should explain how to go about deferring the course. She does have to contact the college to defer and not the CAO.

She can do the PLC in art and defer the course and when it comes to applying to the CAO next year if she wants to accept her deferred place she justs puts that course on her application. If she wants to change her mind then she can put down other courses and her deferred place will be cancelled.
    Post edited by Peregrine on

Advertisement