Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* CAO - a few important points ... * !Change of Mind CLOSES Friday 1st July at 17.15!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

RoRo979 wrote: »
    if lets say i put down.
    1)trinity 510
    2)DCU 490
    3)UCD 460
    4)DIT 449

all for lets say computer science. some one else puts down

1)UCD
    2)DIT
    3)NUIG

and we both get the exact same points, am i more likely to get offered the course in ucd as i havnt git my main oe or is the other student as it was his preferenece

If there was only one place left and you both had equal points then I believe it goes to random selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    If there was only one place left and you both had equal points then I believe it goes to random selection.

This is spot on but one could argue that whoever has it higher on there preference list could be used as a tie-breaker. Take for example, a 300 point course in Letterkenny IT. Student A was aiming for 400 points, but has a massively disappointing LC and has Letterkenny down as his 10th choice. Student B had his heart set on the Letterkenny course and has it down as his 1st choice. Both students get 300 points, does Student B deserve it more?

thelad95 wrote: »
    This is spot on but one could argue that whoever has it higher on there preference list could be used as a tie-breaker. Take for example, a 300 point course in Letterkenny IT. Student A was aiming for 400 points, but has a massively disappointing LC and has Letterkenny down as his 10th choice. Student B had his heart set on the Letterkenny course and has it down as his 1st choice. Both students get 300 points, does Student B deserve it more?

No. It's not about who "deserves" a course more . It's about who gets enough points for the course . Random selection is the only fair, unbiased and objectionable way to choose who gets the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dunkelhouse

It is possible to apply to the CAO while at College?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Objectionable or objective, Eoghan? :D
    ... "if I ring the CAO/NUIG and beg will they let me in?" The answer to that in advance is NO. They do not make exceptions.
    They may, however, dispatch a hit-team to beat her / him round the head with the handbook which s/he didn't bother reading!!
    I take your point in the particular instance you give, thelad, but, apart from the fact that it would take a hellish amount of programming even to make the computers do that, and the more complicated the programming the more likely that there will be glitches (and it's complex enough already!), the reality is that it's pretty easy to come up with examples which yield a totally different subjective result.

Let's try one:

Tom lives in Galway, and has art in NCAD as his number 1. This is what he really wants to do, but while he is very bright and also talented at art, he is also as lazy as sin. To shut his mother up, he puts medicine in Galway as number 2, even though he has no interest whatsoever in medicine; for the same reason he also does the HPAT and scores quite well on it.

Tom, as expected, gets a very good LC without working all that hard at it. However, he puts very little effort into his portfolio for NCAD, expecting to walk it on his innate talent alone, and to his horror does not qualify for NCAD. However, his combined LC points and HPAT put him in with a decent chance for NUIG medicine, his second choice which he does not want.

Emma lives in Dublin. She has always wanted to do medicine, knows there is nothing else she wants to do, and has worked her fingers to the bone studying for LC to get the course she wants.

As she lives in Dublin, her preferences are:

1) TCD medicine

2) UCD medicine

3) UCC medicine (as her aunt lives in Cork)

4) NUIG medicine

She does a good but not brilliant HPAT, and a good LC, but when her HPAT and LC points are added, she has exactly the same score as Tom.

As it happens, when the Galway places are being allocated, it reaches the point where there is one place left, and Tom and Emma, with equal points, are the only 2 candidates.

Knowing what we know about the two candidates, and using the type of subjective reasoning you are using above, who "deserves" the place more: Tom who has it as his second preference, or Emma for whom it is her fourth preference?

(And what other useful lesson could we learn from this imaginary example about how to fill in your CAO choices? ;) :pac:)
    It is possible to apply to the CAO while at College?
    Yes it is.

For a more detailed answer, read this! ;)

• Advertisement

Objectionable .
    The random selection process has people complaining every year especially if they miss out on a place because of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

3) UCC medicine (as her aunt lives in Cork)

You seem to know a lot about this Emma person. Someone I know? :pac:

Similar situation:

John really wants to do computer science. Ideally, he wants Trinity but he says he'll never get the points for it so he puts down UCD as his first choice (The cardinal sin when filling in your CAO form). So John's CAO looks like this:

1. UCD Computer Science - 480*
    2. NUIG Computer Science - 450
    3. UCC Computer Science - 460

Mary lives in Dublin and also wants to do computer science. Mary wants to go to Trinity because she likes Trinity and it's close to her home but she doesn't mind UCD either. Mary's CAO looks like this:

1. TCD Computer Science - 500
    2. UCD Computer Science - 480*
    3. DIT Computer Science - 430

John and Mary both get 480 points. The CAO gives it to John because he had it as first choice. Mary carefully read the CAO handbook (:pac:) and ranked her choices by preference and lost out to John who ranked it by what he thinks he'll get because he's an ejit.

Long live random selection, I say. It might not always be fair but hey, it's the best we've got.

Instead of random selection, how about inviting the various candidates to the CAO offices in Galway for an egg and spoon race?

Instead of random selection, how about inviting the various candidates to the CAO offices in Galway for an egg and spoon race?

Now, this, I like! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

Hey - just a quick question about 'change your mind' in May.

I haven't fully decided if I'm 100% happy with my current CAO choice. I was kinda okay about this as I thought I had until July 1st to make up my mind. HOWEVER, a girl in school told me change of mind is about changing the order of the courses you entered in January.

Is this true???

• Advertisement

Hey - just a quick question about 'change your mind' in May.

I haven't fully decided if I'm 100% happy with my current CAO choice. I was kinda okay about this as I thought I had until July 1st to make up my mind. HOWEVER, a girl in school told me change of mind is about changing the order of the courses you entered in January.

Is this true???

She is wrong. You can add 10 new courses in the change of mind if you want but if you want to do a restricted course, you need to put it down NOW as they cannot be added on in May as a lot of interviews, portfolios, hpat etc are done over the next few months.

Honestly, folks, don't listen to some scaremonger in school who thinks s/he knows it all and doesn't, read the damn handbook for yourselves and know what you're doing!

You spend two years trying to get the points; spend an hour figuring out how to get the most from them!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

Forgive me for the stupid question, but in relation to Change of Mind, I can add courses correct? Not just replace the courses I have down right now?

millgate1 wrote: »
    Forgive me for the stupid question, but in relation to Change of Mind, I can add courses correct? Not just replace the courses I have down right now?

Yes.

But restricted entry courses(including medicine) has to be on it now. You can't add them in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Katie97123

Hey one of my friends registered for the CAO but she never put down any courses! What does this mean? Can she put down courses in May?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Katie97123 wrote: »
    Hey one of my friends registered for the CAO but she never put down any courses! What does this mean? Can she put down courses in May?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

yes

Free of charge or?

Free of charge or?

Free.

Read the handbook!!!

Katie97123 wrote: »
    Can she put down courses in May?

Yes, she can add up to 10 courses each in Level 8 and 6/7 but restricted entry courses were meant to be on it before it closed yesterday. They have exams, interviews, portfolios etc. that are conducted between now and May.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Chicharito11

This is what it says for my entry requirements to my course:

-2HC3 & 4OD3, passes in English & Irish & a third language, OC3/ HD3 Mathematics

Foundation level Mathematics is accepted for Matriculation, but does not meet the requirement for degrees where Mathematics is a special programme requirement.

Now, does this mean I have to do OL Maths and get a C3, or can I just do foundation and I will qualify? Because it says that it qualifies matriculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Is this about science? Like in UCD maybe the modules you wish to take are not maths/physics, but geology, chem etc where maths isn't needed for your studies. I'm not sure, but it sounds like that if you have decided to take the path of biology/chem/geology rather than the maths/physics route, then you can do foundation. Maybe Nim can clear it up.

Now, does this mean I have to do OL Maths and get a C3, or can I just do foundation and I will qualify? Because it says that it qualifies matriculation.

You have to meet matriculation requirements and course specific requirements. Matriculation is the minimum requirements for entering a university. But that course requires a C3 at OL.

This is what it says for my entry requirements to my course:

-2HC3 & 4OD3, passes in English & Irish & a third language, OC3/ HD3 Mathematics

Foundation level Mathematics is accepted for Matriculation, but does not meet the requirement for degrees where Mathematics is a special programme requirement.

To qualify for a course in a university you need three things:

1) Entry requirements for the university (Matriculation). Foundation will do you here, from the piece you quoted.

2) The specific course requirements: for your course this is at least a C3 at OL; Foundation will not suffice. That's what they mean by Foundation "not meeting the requirement for degrees where Maths is a special programme requirement". It is a special programme requirement in this case, and they specify minimum OC3.

3) The points.

In your case, if you only have Foundation, the CAO computer will pass you through Gate Number 1, but stop you dead at Gate Number 2. Do not pass Go, do not collect €200.

Even if you have 100 points over and above, it won't matter; the computer will never move on to checking your points for that course because with Foundation you don't satisfy number 2 - the specific course minimum requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LC202

Don't know if this is the right place to post it, but how many subjects can you fail at Leaving Cert and still get into a level 8 course?

Reason Im asking is because im very worried about History next Wednesday (Haven't studied at all in the past few months). Basically I feel like with a little work I COULD scrape a pass or maybe high D if things went well on the day, but am still at risk of failing Higher level, so am thinking of dropping down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

LC202 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the right place to post it, but how many subjects can you fail at Leaving Cert and still get into a level 8 course?

Reason Im asking is because im very worried about History next Wednesday (Haven't studied at all in the past few months). Basically I feel like with a little work I COULD scrape a pass or maybe high D if things went well on the day, but am still at risk of failing Higher level, so am thinking of dropping down.
    Failing history won't stop you entering any 3rd level course, a pass in it is not an entry requirement for any of them (unlike Irish or maths, a pass in which is an entry requirement for the NUI universities - UCD, NUIG, UCC and...hmm...DCU I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

please everybody,I am confused,looking at my course these are the entry requirements

Six Leaving Certificate subjects, including Maths, and English, or Irish, with: C3 in one Higher Level paper, together with at least grade D3 in five Ordinary Level papers, or at least grade D3 in six Ordinary Level papers, and at least 200 points.

does this mean If i get a C3 in a higher level paper,pass everything else,I automatically get in.Thanks

joe14 wrote: »
    please everybody,I am confused,looking at my course these are the entry requirements

Six Leaving Certificate subjects, including Maths, and English, or Irish, with: C3 in one Higher Level paper, together with at least grade D3 in five Ordinary Level papers, or at least grade D3 in six Ordinary Level papers, and at least 200 points.

does this mean If i get a C3 in a higher level paper,pass everything else,I automatically get in.Thanks

No, it means that you meet the minimum academic entry requirements for the course. Everyone who does is listed in order of points by the CAO and say there are 20 places on the course and 40 people apply, the top 20 points wise who meet entry requirements are offered a place

Guys, can I just gently suggest ye skim the thread before asking your question. Most of these are repeated again and again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rozada

On the website it states that 'All subjects of the Leaving Certificate are accepted for matriculation registration purposes, with the exception of Gaeilge Bonnleibhéal (Irish Foundation Level), Mathematics (Ordinary Alternative/Foundation Level and; Home Economics (General), which is recognised only for St. Angela's College, Sligo.'

Does this mean S&S (Home Economics) will not be accepted as a subject? I was relying on it for entry :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rozada wrote: »
    On the website it states that 'All subjects of the Leaving Certificate are accepted for matriculation registration purposes, with the exception of Gaeilge Bonnleibhéal (Irish Foundation Level), Mathematics (Ordinary Alternative/Foundation Level and; Home Economics (General), which is recognised only for St. Angela's College, Sligo.'

Does this mean S&S (Home Economics) will not be accepted as a subject? I was relying on it for entry :(

No, it means that Home Economics (General) is not accepted, except for St. Angela's College.
    Home Economics (S&S) is fine. They are two different subjects.

Advertisement