Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing a Mondeo Clutch Flywheel

• 10-10-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I just got my car, 2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Zetec, serviced before it passed the NCT and my mechanic stated that the loud rattling noise I was hearing (on occasions but more frequently now) was the clutch flywheel which needs to be replaced. He said that it would cost around a grand to source and fit but also said that it may not need to be replaced for a couple of years as it may last that long. He is a very reasonable mechanic who will always give a lower price for a cheaper part, then other prices for dearer parts.

Apart from the noise, would it be worth replacing? It passed the NCT, after spending about €400 getting two new tyres, service and everything in order and I don't fancy stumping up another grand.

Forgot to add that there is approximately 100,000Kms on the clock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

hadoken13 wrote: »
    I just got my car, 2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Zetec, serviced before it passed the NCT and my mechanic stated that the loud rattling noise I was hearing (on occasions but more frequently now) was the clutch flywheel which needs to be replaced. He said that it would cost around a grand to source and fit but also said that it may not need to be replaced for a couple of years as it may last that long. He is a very reasonable mechanic who will always give a lower price for a cheaper part, then other prices for dearer parts.

Apart from the noise, would it be worth replacing? It passed the NCT, after spending about €400 getting two new tyres, service and everything in order and I don't fancy stumping up another grand.

Forgot to add that there is approximately 100,000Kms on the clock.

That's about the mileage where they tend to start to go, a little early maybe. The only problem with leaving it is that it can take out the starter motor as it starts to break down and eject dust and small pieces of metal and can cost you more in the long run. That was what happened with the previous generation TDCI engines anyway. The new ones may not have that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Might be worth just keeping an ear out on the sound, if and when it becomes more of a clunk on shifting gears/engaging clutch, its probably time to cough up the dough. The quotation is a fair one for a dual mass flywheel, 3 piece clutch kit and labour. Alternatively you could consider a solid flywheel replacement, a lot cheaper. Performance difference is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Waterson wrote: »
    Might be worth just keeping an ear out on the sound, if and when it becomes more of a clunk on shifting gears/engaging clutch, its probably time to cough up the dough. The quotation is a fair one for a dual mass flywheel, 3 piece clutch kit and labour. Alternatively you could consider a solid flywheel replacement, a lot cheaper. Performance difference is negligible.

I don't think a solid one is advised on the later 1.8tdci's or even available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Bio Mech wrote: »
    That's about the mileage where they tend to start to go, a little early maybe. The only problem with leaving it is that it can take out the starter motor as it starts to break down and eject dust and small pieces of metal and can cost you more in the long run. That was what happened with the previous generation TDCI engines anyway. The new ones may not have that issue.

Ye I am a bit wary of not doing anything.
    Waterson wrote: »

I'll try that later.
    I don't think a solid one is advised on the later 1.8tdci's or even available for them.

Probably just go for the dual mass one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

I'm thinking should I just trade in the car for a newer model - but the noise may cause a drop in price anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

From what I've read (around the time mine went) they're usually around 100,000 miles and upwards that they go, seems quite soon if you are at 100,000 kilometers (~62k miles).

Check for vibrations through the clutch pedal is another indicator that it's on the way out. Cost me nearer €2000 to get it done on my Peugeot, the flywheel alone is usually ~€1000. Mine went early one morning driving through the village, managed to get it in gear and limped home through some red lights :o as pressing the clutch didn't do much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I wouldn't use one either.
    The dm takes out go any vibrations that go back to gearbox
    Replacing it with A solid moves the vibrations back to the gearbox which could lead to bigger problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Agreed its not an ideal alternative, but an alternative nonetheless if money is an issue. There is a company who offer a service in welding DMF's so they no longer damp the vibrations. I hear anecdotally they have got many an Avensis taxi driver out of bother...not sure Id choose that path myself mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hadoken13 wrote: »
    I'm thinking should I just trade in the car for a newer model - but the noise may cause a drop in price anyway.

Either way you will be spending money, a new clutch/flywheel will be a lot cheaper though.

Advertisement