Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Voice Of Ireland

Options
1132133134135136138»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah she had an ad on the Galway Advertiser giving singing lessons. Hardly the success she hoped for. The point I am making is that very few of the people who win Irish talant shows have real success compared with Britain. And even over there has anyone heard of Little Mix since they won X Factor?

I would give Little Mix a chances.

We don't get behind our acts at all (regardless of talent). We continue to have an inferiority complex, Irish Radio stations just won't play Irish acts, this is not just from Talent competitions but in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

Elmo wrote: »

We don't get behind our acts at all (regardless of talent). We continue to have an inferiority complex, Irish Radio stations just won't play Irish acts, this is not just from Talent competitions but in general.

no , its just that the ( talent ) which appeared on irish tv singing competitions was of a pretty mediocre variety

as for the uk shows , they are more contrived than you can imagine , most of the acts who reach the live shows on X factor were known in some shape or form by the industry prior to thier appearance , which is why a huge number of incredibly talented singers never even get near round one on tv , they are rejected at the unrecorded audtions

no , its just that the ( talent ) which appeared on irish tv singing competitions was of a pretty mediocre variety

Even if you take this as the reason, Radio and TV do not talk up the Irish Talent shows as much as they do Britain's Got Talent or The X-Factor. Irish media (including RTÉ) tend to completely flood the market with English Talent shows.

Ryan O'Shaughnessy will get more time from BGT in the Irish media then he did for The Voice of Ireland.

I will take one other example from TG4. And this feeds in to the previous diatribe by another poster about Country and Western Music. Glor Tíre gets 100,000 viewers each week on TG4. A fairly minority music talent contest on a minority channel, however you would think that country music radio stations and radio programmes would support such a competition for The Country Voice (Glor Tíre). They don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Irish media (including RTÉ) tend to completely flood the market with English Talent shows.
    The Late Late Show and The Saturday Night Show seem to always have someone on from these UK "talent" shows. If you don't follow them (and read about them in the tabloids) you've no idea who they are and yet they act as though we should all be completely familiar with them and their private lives. :rolleyes:
    I've never understood why RTE feel the need to promote these people. I guess they have their own inferiority complex and have to pander to it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The same as X Factor, these arent about music just entertainment shows. If you want a music show watch Jools or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hilarious...yer man from the voice getting booted off and now he's in the final of BGT singing his own material....I thought the voice was supposed to be the the show with credibility!!

A Joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Simon Cowell backs the winner from BGT and Fix Factor and he has loads of cash to put into launching the winner's career whereas in the Irish talent shows there isnt a head honcho or mega cash there to help launch them so while they do relevantly well in Ireland they dont succeed internationally and Bressie isnt know internationally also so he cant help Pat

I am surprised Ryan O'Shaughnessy go on the TVOI as he didnt have a great voice himself he is doing well on BGT but he is quite a talented song writer

I say Sexy Pat needs to get a sex tape linked :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was thinking back on the various talent shows that have been on and I can't think of anyone who had real success through any of them.
    If a person wants to be successful them it makes sense to go on a show across the pond which will lets face it give them a better deal.
    Although sometimes people themselves can make the wrong decisions. Nadine Coyle has more singing talent then Cheryl Cole could ever hope for but didn't have the same success.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I walked past Pat in the street yesterday and I kept staring at him thinking 'I know him from somewhere', thinking he would remember me :o

Decent enough song, I haven't seen it get much coverage on RTE since its release, surprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I had a jam with him about 2 months ago in mullingar, He is such a nice decent guy. Wish him the best with his career.

Skid wrote: »
    Decent enough song, I haven't seen it get much coverage on RTE since its release, surprisingly.

Not really Irish Radio does general support Irish singers/bands, except on a few occasion when the over play a song e.g.

Not really Irish Radio does general support Irish singers/bands, except on a few occasion when the over play a song

True, but when they have announced another series of The Voice of Ireland, you would think RTE would be trying hard to promote last year's winner.

That's what any other Broadcaster would do, but God knows what goes on in RTE.

Pat Byrne's debut Album 'All or Nothing' is released today

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/1112/byrnep.html

And he will be performing on The Late Late Show tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Never watched such vacuous, self serving television in my life. I laugh recalling the launch last year when the judges were describing it as being "about the music man" and "not about the judges", a clear reference to Xfactor. The truth is it's even worse then xfactor. The "music business" is not making cash from real bands anymore so they are actually pushing this crap out to the ignorant masses, who can't tell the difference. The sad thing is they are actually succeeding. The media are treating 1d like the new rolling stones, yet they haven't written a note between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Last years thread. Please post again to this years one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement