Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Insurance

• 10-10-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm a bit at a loss here,

I have my driving license for over 10 years now from Germany, but I'm unable to get a car insurance, since I don't have a no claim bonus...

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Gunhed wrote: »

I have my driving license for over 10 years now from Germany, but I'm unable to get a car insurance, since I don't have a no claim bonus...

Any advice?

Do you have any named driving experience from Germany? Insurance companies do accept EU no claims bonus, but only if dated within last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Any advice?

I would imagine you would have to earn a no claims bonus from years of driving on Irish roads like everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gunhed

Yeah but how should i do that, if no one is giving me an insurance? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What type of car are you trying to insure? What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Of course you can get insurance, just at a higher cost than someone with Irish NCB.
    Did you ring companies and brokers or just try a few online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

biko wrote: »
    Of course you can get insurance, just at a higher cost than someone with Irish NCB.
    Did you ring companies and brokers or just try a few online?

Agreed. OP will be able to get car insurance but perhaps not at the price that OP would like. That said, if OP is trying to get insurance for a high performance or luxury car without any Irish NCB history, that could be tricky - but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gunhed

Well, I'm now with Axa for 1300€.

Another one that would have given me an insurance was Liberty, for 2500€, lol nope!
    The rest just declined it straight away or after a ring. :/

BTW I'm close to 37 now and have my driver license for 18 years now. I hardly think that I'm so dangerous that they can't offer me a quote...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pretty dear alright. What car have you? Engine size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I phoned Liberty before about a quote, insisted on sending out a form as the car I was driving at the time wasn't on their system. Told them not to bother, form came out regardless as I had given my address. Pages and pages of questions, form went in the bin and I renewed with 123.

The hard part is over now you have cover, don't drive like a dick and it only gets cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The length of time you have held your licence means nothing, having proof of NCB or driving experience whether it be Irish or German will decide if an insurer will quote and if they do how much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement