Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Films

• 01-04-2005 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

(or 'is it just me...' volume IIX)

Is it just me or do the vast majority of modern french movies, (not all, naturally) and even those going back a few years, obsess about upper middle class couples, one of whom will usually be a writer or musician, in wealthy domestic situations struggling against fidelity issues?

I'm sure I needn't even list examples because there just seem so many.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Is it just me or do the vast majority of modern french movies, (not all, naturally) and even those going back a few years, obsess about upper middle class couples, one of whom will usually be a writer or musician, in wealthy domestic situations struggling against fidelity issues?

Care to? French in movies who's trailers don't feature;

An explosion going down a corridor

A child in mortal danger

A gravel voiced vo

The French trailers will feature;

classical music

a citreon pulling up a gravel driveway

May leave us with the impression that people other than impossibly good looking 20 somethings have sex.

Whats your point? French cinema is robust enough that they can make films that aren't crash bang wallop, or kookie and indy (the two prefered genres of this board) In short something someone past the age of 25 might like to see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

I haven't found this to be true,my taste in French movies leans to the historical variety though. Have you seen many of those? Try them.

I was going to make a joke about the French and fidelity, but I reconsidered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

That is a stereotype. French movies can be a little pompous though. Plenty of great French films have been made, especially during the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I haven't found this to be true,my taste in French movies leans to the historical variety though. Have you seen many of those? Try them.

Considering Mitterand's wife, daughter mistress and illegimate daughter all held hands at the side of his grave, it would be not ill judged.

Just unfair, plenty fof divorce and infidellity happens across the globe the french are just more honest about it.
    That is a stereotype. French movies can be a little pompous though. Plenty of great French films have been made, especially during the 50's, 60's and 70's.

And during the past three decades. Three colours anyone? Man de source? jean de flourine (both sic). Cyrano? Brotherhood of Wolf? a great action flick. Time of the Wolf. The most plausible post apo film ever made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Damnit mycroft, stop changing your avatar! Go back to Tak damnit!
    mycroft wrote:
    And during the past three decades. Three colours anyone? Man de source? jean de flourine (both sic). Cyrano? Brotherhood of Wolf? a great action flick. Time of the Wolf. The most plausible post apo film ever made?

I'd add to that The City Of Lost Children and Switchblade Romance.
    Dobermann was a great French action flick too.

None of those are anything like the stereotype the original poster seems to put forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Don't forget La Haine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

And 36 Quai des Orfèvres
    and Nikita

and you could also make strong cases for the Fifth Element and Leon being French too.

Also see Taxi 1+2, both great comedies.

Damnit mycroft, stop changing your avatar! Go back to Tak damnit!

I change to Hobbes, then the go and organise the avs so calvin and hobbes are first. When I was tak people thought I was a girl.

This is far more apt, if I spend any more time here I'm going to become a cankerous old crank, according to me girlfriend, so the prof is most suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Some of the French ones that are released here are like that (give the people what they expect) but even then, there are many more that are released here and that are pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

I liked Amelie.

I hate Eric Rohmer though. So, swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement