Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convince me..

• 14-09-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about getting back into bikes but the only thing holding me back is the safety issue. I would love a CBR250/Hornet 250, used to ride a NSR 125 but crashed it.
    Since ive given up biking all ive been hearing about biking is how dangerous it is, people on tv getting crippled etc.
    I love bikes, its just there is something in my head that I will either end up dead or in a wheelchair if I get back into bikes.
    Im not a dangerous driver, my crash was due to some scumbag pulling put in front of me. I respect the road.
    Any advice?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Predator_ wrote: »
    Since ive given up biking all ive been hearing about biking is how dangerous it is, people on tv getting crippled etc.
    I love bikes, its just there is something in my head that I will either end up dead or in a wheelchair if I get back into bikes.

Definitely shouldnt get on a bike with that mentality, as you prob know you need 100% concentration and a certain amount of confidence, you gotta stop thinkin like that for starters, maybe get a few ,being with an instructor may give you a sense of a safer environment and help you remember the good things about riding a bike.

hope it all goes well anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Im thinking about getting back into bikes but the only thing holding me back is the safety issue. I would love a CBR250/Hornet 250, used to ride a NSR 125 but crashed it.
    Im not a dangerous driver, my crash was due to some scumbag pulling put in front of me. I respect the road.
    Any advice?!

People end up dead or in wheelchairs for lots of reasons and only a few rode bikes.

The reason why we have such a bad record for bikers in this country is that up till recently very few had even passed the test never mind had any lessons.

Get proper training and wear good quality protective gear you shouldn't have any major issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

95% of bike safety is common sense. Don't act the eejit and they're safe.
    My advice: get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you have biking in your blood (ie. you love biking) .... get a bike.

I'm a cager but GF has a 650cc....its important to you to drive the way you enjoy.... it is more dangerous to drive a bike, but thats because other road users are not bike aware and bike conscious.

bike driving does require 100% attention and even more road awareness than using a car.... you have to assume all other drivers are idiots and do not see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Any advice?!
    Ive gotten back on a bike for the first time in 26 years.A little trepidation at first,but you'll soon get back into what you loved,and you'll see what you've missed.Go for it,and if it doesnt feel right,you can always get rid. Nothing ventured and all that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Get some training and buy the bike or the pooty tat gets it

killerpussy3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Bikes are and always will be dangerous. In that accident were you going too fast/slid off during heavy braking, paying full attention what was ahead of you?
    Now you want to get back on a fairly pokey high reving 250?
    Did you ever have any formal/professional training?
    Would you consider putting the past firmly in the past and go and get some professional lessons and start a fresh?
    Would you forget the 250 and go back to something like a CG125/Innova 125 till you regain the confidence and relearn 'road skills'?

Not trying to dish the idea, but I've been riding bikes [and only bikes!] legally since the late 70's and despite the miles clocked up since then - I've had accidents, thankfully never serious, but I'm still learning everytime I fasten my helmet and head out.
    Don't forget to get good biking gear - good quality will last years and offer the best protection in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

No disrespect,but everything has the potential to be dangerous in the wrong hands!!! To make a statement like "Motorbikes are and always will be dangerous" is alarmist imo:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The best phrase I've heard on the issue of bikes is; "Danger is a relative term. Walking down the street is dangerous".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Well ive been searching the net this morning having a look at different bikes and my heart is set on a Ninja 250, I always loved the ZX6R and I think I could pick up a 2008 model next spring for around 3500. I will still be insured on a car so I will only be using it during the day and when it isn't raining. I will be taking it easy so I should be alright.
    In that accident were you going too fast/slid off during heavy braking, paying full attention what was ahead of you?

Basically some scumbag idiot pulled out in front of me to turn into a petrol station on my side of the road. I deliberately dropped the bike in order to avoid going over his hood. He wasn't insured, left the scene and was never caught. I had to sell my bike for scrap, paid over 3 grand for it:mad:
    Did you ever have any formal/professional training?

I did a few lessons before doing my bike test. I haven't been up on a bike for a few years now so ill take some more when/if I get a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

no matter how much training you have you're still likely to come a cropper from road conditions (slippery markings, oil, grit, etc) or idiot drivers. You can mitigate alot of the risk by knowing how to deal with the conditions and treating every driver like a moron - and acting accordingly.

In the past 3 days I've yielded to a car that shot the red light by 3-4 seconds after going red, had a guy pull in front of me from a static lane into my moving lane, and had a guy pull out of a housing estate infront of me (heavy rain and bad road conditions at the time - have that on video btw).

Gardai run a bike safe course that might be worth looking at. Pay attention and don't take risks and you reduce the risk further.

Ninja 250 or Hornet 250? Which would ye recommend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ninja 250 or Hornet 250? Which would ye recommend:D

Neither, if you're going to do it, do it right.

Get a bike with some pizazz - like a BMW K1300R or Honda CBR 1100XX. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

nereid wrote: »

Yawn.

Would love to but my age and my provisional license would be a small problem!!

Gonna go with the Ninja since the Hornet isnt learner legal:(

To be fair, if you can afford the insurance on the ninja 250, it's a lovely looking bike. Saw one the other day and the chap on it looked like he was having a right blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You're some bad fecker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All bikes can be made learner legal, it's cost about €200-€250. Don't base your decision on what power the bike makes, base it on how much you can afford for insurance. Only issue is you don't get any discount for a non factory restriction, but once you're 2 year restriction is up you'll have a new bike without the hassle of buying one:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Del2005 wrote: »
    All bikes can be made learner legal, it's cost about €200-€250. Don't base your decision on what power the bike makes, base it on how much you can afford for insurance. Only issue is you don't get any discount for a non factory restriction, but once you're 2 year restriction is up you'll have a new bike without the hassle of buying one:D

...and restrictions opens up more options for the OP. You mentioned the Hornet but theres also the Bandit, Fazer, 650V etc. which can all be made learner legal by putting restrictor kits on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

When I'm not on my Ducati, I ride my MP3 most days

i.php?a=PiaggioMP3&i=-9.jpg&w=450&h=

I'm not claiming it's an exciting sports bike. It is however very safe! While also allowing you to commute, filter and generally get around at motorcycle speeds. Might be a positive or negative for you, but whether you have the 125, 250, 400 or 500cc version you need a category B license to drive this, in other words a car license. Still taxed as a motorcycle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm not claiming it's an exciting sports bike. It is however very safe! While also allowing you to commute, filter and generally get around at motorcycle speeds. Might be a positive or negative for you, but whether you have the 125, 250, 400 or 500cc version you need a category B license to drive this, in other words a car license. Still taxed as a motorcycle though.

I don't see how it would be that much safer than a bike. Apart from it's ability to stay upright you're still just as vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Stop trying to get cred, no matter what else you ride you lose all respect with a 3 wheeled scooter!

I don't see how it would be that much safer than a bike. Apart from it's ability to stay upright you're still just as vulnerable.

Near the start of the year I rode it while it was snowing, definitive safety advantages in the snow. That's just an extreme example. But when you're saying you don't see how it can be safer, I'm assuming your referring to being hit by a car or something similar? Because not skidding/losing traction and dying as a result is probably important as well. How many times do we see on the news bikers dying in accidents with no other vehicles involved?

There's lots of examples where having two front wheels means you stand a better chance of not falling over at speed and getting hurt.

1. It's raining and you go into a corner and your front tyre hits a diesel patch. With one wheel in the front its very likely to fold and you go down. On the MP3 if you lose grip for a moment you'll understeer briefly in the corner.

2. You're in an emergency situation and need to stop really really quickly. It also happens to be raining as it does occasionally in Ireland. Details don't matter, most riders will likely encounter situations where they need to stop as fast as possible. I don't know about you, but it's not easy for me to get maximum safe braking force in the rain with only one front tyre. How much braking force before you lock the front and drop?

Basically I think there are a lot of situations where you're braking or cornering where having two contact patches in the front is a big advantage. After all you put more stress on front tyres when cornering and braking, extra front tyre = half the load on each when cornering and braking.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Stop trying to get cred, no matter what else you ride you lose all respect with a 3 wheeled scooter!

When I want to have fun I take out my Monster. Other times I just want to get to work or to the shops etc. I know for whatever reason some Irish people do find 3 wheeled vehicles amusing. Oh well there loss I say! I don't think this country has any claim on being cool etc, go to Paris an you'd be hard pressed not to find 3 to 5 of them parked at every street corner :)

OP wanted a reason to go back on a bike, I've lost count of the number of middle aged guys coming up to me and asking me about the MP3. Most times they tell me they had a bike when they were younger but gave up for the usual reasons - safety being mentioned most times. They all seemed interested in the safety aspect of the design and the fact that they could ride any size version on their car license.

Putting aside silly stuff like "it has 3 wheels, ho ho ho", it's a modern vehicle perfectly suited to urban/suburban environments. Tax is cheap (72 I think), fuel economy excellent, 65 litres of storage before you even think about putting on a top box, safety is excellent for this class of vehicle and you get great weather protection etc. No idea how much to insure by itself, but my M900 and MP3 are both covered on one policy fully comp for 600.

* Oh and it's not too big to filter. Widest point on any bike is the handlebars and this bike is no exception. The MP3 can filter while making good progress in all weather conditions, including snow & ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Near the start of the year I rode it while it was snowing, definitive safety advantages in the snow. That's just an extreme example. But when you're saying you don't see how it can be safer, I'm assuming your referring to being hit by a car or something similar? Because not skidding/losing traction and dying as a result is probably important as well. How many times do we see on the news bikers dying in accidents with no other vehicles involved?

There's lots of examples where having two front wheels means you stand a better chance of not falling over at speed and getting hurt.

1. It's raining and you go into a corner and your front tyre hits a diesel patch. With one wheel in the front its very likely to fold and you go down. On the MP3 if you lose grip for a moment you'll understeer briefly in the corner.

2. You're in an emergency situation and need to stop really really quickly. It also happens to be raining as it does occasionally in Ireland. Details don't matter, most riders will likely encounter situations where they need to stop as fast as possible. I don't know about you, but it's not easy for me to get maximum safe braking force in the rain with only one front tyre. How much braking force before you lock the front and drop?

Basically I think there are a lot of situations where you're braking or cornering where having two contact patches in the front is a big advantage. After all you put more stress on front tyres when cornering and braking, extra front tyre = half the load on each when cornering and braking.

I thought I covered that quite well by saying it's ability to keep upright.I never said that it wasn't a little safer than a bike but holding that abomination up as a bastion of safety is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Better of starting on a cheap crusier imo to get used to biking. Then move to a decent 600 'sports' type of machine. That's what I did anyway.

I thought I covered that quite well by saying it's ability to keep upright.I never said that it wasn't a little safer than a bike but holding that abomination up as a bastion of safety is silly.

Firstly your use of the adjective "abomination" spells out pretty clearly the angle you're coming from. I'll just say on that point, that I'm just as much into biker culture as most other bikers are. But at the end of the day they're just vehicles for having a bit of fun on or getting you from A to B. I don't have a fixed unmovable concept in my mind of what a bike, a car or any other vehicle HAS to be.

Anyway you seem to casually dismiss the ability to stay upright as not that important. I don't think most experienced bikers would agree with you. Secondly I also pointed out it has superior braking ability, is that not also vitally important in safety? Or should motorcycle manufacturers stop investing in new braking technology? Maybe go back to drum brakes, bring down the cost of motorcycles :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Because not skidding/losing traction and dying as a result is probably important as well. How many times do we see on the news bikers dying in accidents with no other vehicles involved?
    Very few, as far as I can tell.

Advertisement