Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accessories - vintage style

• 20-10-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi all,This probably belongs in fashion and appearance but I think posters here may have a better idea of what im talking about...MODs your call???I bought a gorgeous (if i do say so myself) 'stop staring' forties styles pencil skirt dress in black with discreet leopard print piping on the neckline.Havent a clue what to do now...i have black high mary janes shoes which will go perfectly but I would really like something simple as a headpiece, i want to wear the outfit to a wedding next week and i saw somethings i like on a USA website but unfortunately no time to order. Kind of thinking a black headband very simple with some sort of vintage/vintage inspired look, maybe a black veil?? so im throwing it open to suggestions...my budget is under €100 and any help would be appreciated.Also, while i have you thinking ;) ideas for a shrug???Many thanks in advance.P x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Moved from B&C. Much greater footfall here so you'll get a better response.

/Waves to the adorable mods of F&A :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Thanks old goat (although I'm sure there is nothing old or goat-like about you) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Piper, I don't know where in the country you are but Penneys have some headbands (as in elasticated headbands) with a few feathers on them that could look quite cool if you have enough hair to hide the elastic (mowt wrong with elastic headbands but not sure they'd work with the look you have in mind!). Also I have found Claire's good for that kind of thing too.

The outfit sounds fab :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Penneys and New Look often have nice hairbands, otherwise Debenhams may have something, they have loads of fascinators if you want something more dramatic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

OP- If you're in Dublin, contact Mary Leonard, she can make you a beautiful custom piece and it shouldn't be out of your budget.

Best of luck!

Edit: I notice Mary's number isn't online, if you wish to get in touch, PM me for her number

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Thanks a million for the great response...Alaskimo-cake, this pc wont let me access facebook (boooo!!) but Ill check it out when i get home. Had a look on my tiny blackberry phone screen and think i found her though, is she the sligo milliner? if so theres a mobile number on the website, thanks!!!

If that doesnt work will definitely check out penneys and new look, thinking i could get some black veil/mesh from a fabric store and attach it somehow...

Oh and im in Dublin...

Thanks again :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Yes Mary is from Sligo but is in college in Dublin so she's definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Did you try Arnotts? I'm nearly sure I saw exactly what you were describing in a picture and all items were available from Arnotts. I was looking for something similar for a dress for a wedding myself but I'm "updoing" the hair instead. - only because I wouldn't want to end up with "hat hair" after the wedding when I took the hat off.

Hey again! thanks for all your help. Found a black fascinator with short black veil in costelloe and costelloe on Chatham Street...its not perfect but im happy enough. Thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 annamarie

Vintage style will never die....May be in cloths it is not so often but in accessories....necklace or bracelet or may be small bag

• Advertisement
Advertisement