Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey Mullet in Marina

• 12-09-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Was iN Fenit today, loads of grey mullet in the marina. Someone told me they were inedible as they 'eat crap & taste like oil'.

They had never tried it themselves though, I suspect it's an old wives tale.

Anyone throw any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I have never had one, but am led to believe by people that have, that Mullet are a very tasty and edible table fish, and would be more commonly eaten in other countries, there is a bit of a stigma here because they will feed around the outflow of sewrage pipes.

But yeah they are meant to be very good eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

snow ghost, sorry, should have been a little clearer. I know mullet is a fine fish to eat, my point should have been that people say due to these ones living in the marina they are particularly unhealty and taste bad.

ch, no probs, I see what you mean now.

I obviously don't know the marina to be able to judge how clean it is, etc, but I will say that Mullet will follow the tide and travel very long distances deep into estauries, harbours and marinas or to river mouths on the tide and as such are they unlikely to permanently live there. So I'd question how accurate these people are if they have never eaten the mullet from there themselves?

As for them eating crap - pigs will eat nearly anything and that doesn't stop my rashers tasting good. ;)

I guess the only real knowing is to catch one and eat it... if we don't see your posting again withing two months, we'll presume they were not good to eat! :D

btw, bass also live and feed around some marinas and harbours, but I bet they would eat them without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

snow ghost wrote: »
    they will feed around the outflow of sewrage pipes.QUOTE]

So too will trout in my experience. I've seen one particular trout on the quay in Clonmel, day after day hanging near an outflow pipe in a few inches of water. The trout was a couple of pounds weight and colour adapted to his grey surroundings.

On another river I know, you would be hard pressed to catch a trout over 10 inches with the exception of the pool below the sewerage plant where trout well over a pound are commonly caught!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ch750536 wrote: »
    Was iN Fenit today, loads of grey mullet in the marina. Someone told me they were inedible as they 'eat crap & taste like oil'.

They had never tried it themselves though, I suspect it's an old wives tale.

Anyone throw any light on this?

one of the locals told me he ate one from there said it was lovely tasted like mackeral I would be worried about oil and runoff from anti fouling paint ending up in them though.

they are meant to be lovely.

there are mullet around fenit island too but I'd imagine they would be harder to catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Mullet are suppsoed to be amazing fighters. I think flies made from deer hair to resemble bread are good and hares ear nymphs that look like small shrimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd be a bit wary to be honest as they will feed on pretty much anything - the Lee in Cork is full of them & you can see them chasing the sewage

From another angle - I also do a huge amount of cooking & pretty much every book warns against eating mullet from estuaries - I would imagine marinas fall under the same category ? It's a bit like the warnings they give out on eating shellfish from estuaries when pollution is deemed high

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong mind you as I've eaten offshore mullet & it's pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

I'm on the wrong side of 40, but as a teen we use to catch them in Dun Laoghaire harbour and sell them for 30p a head to one of the local chinese talk-aways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Nodster wrote: »
    I'm on the wrong side of 40, but as a teen we use to catch them in Dun Laoghaire harbour and sell them for 30p a head to one of the local chinese talk-aways

I rest my case - lol only kidding

• Advertisement
Advertisement